And that's a White Sox season

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
I would be more than a little Angry if the white sox do not spend $100 million this offseason given that they knocked their payroll down below $50 million right now.

In all honesty, if they really think things are as bad for the franchise as the fans do, it would be absolutely stupid to give out long term contracts to players who won't be contributing 4 to 5 years down the road.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
I would be more than a little Angry if the white sox do not spend $100 million this offseason given that they knocked their payroll down below $50 million right now.

Honestly, I think the only two guys that make a lot of sense for the Sox right now are Abreu and McCann (or maybe Saltalamacchia). I think the most I go is probably 7/$70 for Abreu, 4/$60 for McCann, and 4/$40 for Saltalamacchia. Really, if they don't get 2 out of those 3, can you really find anybody that they should spend signficant money on over the course of mulitple years?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Honestly, I think the only two guys that make a lot of sense for the Sox right now are Abreu and McCann (or maybe Saltalamacchia). I think the most I go is probably 7/$70 for Abreu, 4/$60 for McCann, and 4/$40 for Saltalamacchia. Really, if they don't get 2 out of those 3, can you really find anybody that they should spend signficant money on over the course of mulitple years?

Anyone who can hit and get on base, and actually run the bases with a Pony League IQ, makes sense for the White Sox. If anyone goes with trends, unless they are in a total rebuild, usually went the Sox have a season as dissappointing as this, they snap back the next year with a decent team. 1977,1985, (1987-1989 total rebuild) 1996,2000,2008.

They have to speed up the process when they have a guy like Sale in place. It would be silly having him on the roster for 3 or 4 more meaningless seasons and not just because he might get injured, but because any and all pitchers might get injured. 3 or 4 or 5 years from now, it's possible he tails off.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Anyone who can hit and get on base, and actually run the bases with a Pony League IQ, makes sense for the White Sox. If anyone goes with trends, unless they are in a total rebuild, usually went the Sox have a season as dissappointing as this, they snap back the next year with a decent team. 1977,1985, (1987-1989 total rebuild) 1996,2000,2008.

They have to speed up the process when they have a guy like Sale in place. It would be silly having him on the roster for 3 or 4 more meaningless seasons and not just because he might get injured, but because any and all pitchers might get injured. 3 or 4 or 5 years from now, it's possible he tails off.

I understand and generally agree with this. What I'm saying is that, when looking at this list, who are you going to commit significant money to long term? (and keep in mind that the list is a little outdated as both Pence and Utley have signed extensions)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
I understand and generally agree with this. What I'm saying is that, when looking at this list, who are you going to commit significant money to long term? (and keep in mind that the list is a little outdated as both Pence and Utley have signed extensions)

[speaking in generalities means never having to be pinned down to details that you could be wrong about]

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)

McCann and Abreu would be the targets. If failed,

Hart, Granderson, Morales, Morse, Choo, maybe Salty, and even DeJesus are guys I would consider signing.

I would also ask Cooper about the pitchers. It could be the Sox have to trade pitching to get hitting, so they could sign a pitcher or 2, although that could get very risky. I think the top 5 ERA teams in the AL made the playoffs and the 6 NL playoff teams in the NL were in the top 7.

Edited by Dick Allen

I quietly hope and pray that Rick Porcello gets non-tendered, as he'd be a great candidate to pick up. Edinson Volquez is another that would be worth a flyer on about a non-guaranteed contract, and Shaun Marcum would be a solid pick up too on a minor league deal, so long as he proves he's healthy.

In fact, I bet the Pirates will sign Edinson Volquez next year. I will bet 2 internet dollars on it

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
I quietly hope and pray that Rick Porcello gets non-tendered, as he'd be a great candidate to pick up. Edinson Volquez is another that would be worth a flyer on about a non-guaranteed contract, and Shaun Marcum would be a solid pick up too on a minor league deal, so long as he proves he's healthy.

In fact, I bet the Pirates will sign Edinson Volquez next year. I will bet 2 internet dollars on it

I hope the Tigers keep Rick Porcello. It makes them a worse team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)

Deal

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
I hope the Tigers keep Rick Porcello. It makes them a worse team.

Rick Porcello's 1st and 2nd half splits and peripherals

1st: .271/.308/.400/.708, 7.25 K/9, 1.72 BB/9, 1 HR/9, 57.3 GB%, 22.7 FB%, 3.51 FIP

2nd: .263/.322/.388/.710, 7.18 K/9, 2.67 BB/9, 0.81 HR/9, 52.6 GB%, 25 FB%, 3.55 FIP

And here are Rick Porcello's 1st and 2nd half ERAs

1st: 4.80 ERA

2nd: 3.71 ERA

So, what you are telling me is that you believe a strong sinker ball pitcher who strikes guys out makes his team worse because he got unlucky in the 1st half of the year.

They won't get tired of him, and they will retain him, and he is probably going to be their 4th or 5th best starter, and if you could somehow transplant him to the White Sox pitching staff, he'd be, minimum, the 3rd best starting pitcher they have and could easily be the 2nd best.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Rick Porcello's 1st and 2nd half splits and peripherals

1st: .271/.308/.400/.708, 7.25 K/9, 1.72 BB/9, 1 HR/9, 57.3 GB%, 22.7 FB%, 3.51 FIP

2nd: .263/.322/.388/.710, 7.18 K/9, 2.67 BB/9, 0.81 HR/9, 52.6 GB%, 25 FB%, 3.55 FIP

And here are Rick Porcello's 1st and 2nd half ERAs

1st: 4.80 ERA

2nd: 3.71 ERA

So, what you are telling me is that you believe a strong sinker ball pitcher who strikes guys out makes his team worse because he got unlucky in the 1st half of the year.

They won't get tired of him, and they will retain him, and he is probably going to be their 4th or 5th best starter, and if you could somehow transplant him to the White Sox pitching staff, he'd be, minimum, the 3rd best starting pitcher they have and could easily be the 2nd best.

Yeah, well, if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a stinky pig, so ha! :P

I didn't read most of that back and forth pissing match, but my highlights were:

The 1983 Throwback Uniforms....just love those.

Went to a couple of Kids Day Sunday games and my kids both got many autographs and had a blast at the Cell.

Much of the rest was forgettable.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Deal

SHOULD HAVE BET MORE INTERNET DOLLARS