One move...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
If Keppinger could hit again in a true platoon, third base wouldn't be a problem

They need to keep Keppenger in his utility role although giving a multi-year deal to a platoon/utility player is pretty dumb. In Keppinger's case, he doesn't hit enough to off-set his inability to get on base by a walk.

Realistically, the White Sox are not likely to spend big money on any free agent unless they are playing poker right now are getting ready to shock everyone. They will probably make a series of smaller moves, some will work out/other's won't and that probably means Keppinger, assuming health, plays 120 games next season.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Completely agree with this. Although I see Viciedo improving with the right hitting coach the most. He's still only 23 and has raw talent is still there.

Yes I know the power numbers weren't there, and doesn't walk often but he still hit 266. Next year if he can hit 265 with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs that would be great. And I could see Sox trading Beckham so Semein could start at 2B.

Viciedo probably has one more year to show he can play in the majors as a regular. Another hitter though who doesn't walk so that's a problem. It's hard to have too much hope for a lineup that has so many easy outs (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, LF and Dunn's .217 average). Garcia is exciting and that's going to be fun, but what is else is there? Simeon may be a player, but would he be a prospect in any other system? I don't know. I do sort of expect the White Sox to be creative and move one of their starting pitching for another young hitting prospect who can be in the lineup next season.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
How old is McCain? How many years would be smart for a catcher? I'm hesitant to go crazy on a catcher, I'm more in the camp of signing somebody who can play defense.

29. I think you sign him assuming he can only catch healthy for a couple more years, then becomes a 1B/DH. Fortunately, that timeline is great for the White Sox, who will be phasing out Konerko/Dunn and have absolutely nothing knocking on the door in the minors, save a shot in the dark with Wilkins.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 09:17 PM)
Beckham is the only player I think the Sox should replace, and that's simply because they have a player that I believe is a better option. If they keep Beckham and Semien opens the year at SS or 3B or even in the minors, I wouldn't mind.

Oh, and Getz is one of the worst hitters in the major leagues. In 1546 career plate appearances at the MLB level, Getz has career splits of .251/.310/.309/.619 with 3 home runs. Seriously Greg, look at the f***ing numbers before you make ridiculous assertions like this.

I should have said "good field no hit" then in regards to Beckham. He has five home runs. That means he has no power. Getz has no power. But Getz can field; Beckham can field. OK, Getz is a worst hitter. Neither are a guy you want on your team outside of a utility role.

How much would you guess Beckham will get in arbitration? That's the key for me. If he can be retained without a big impact on the payroll, I'd like to see him have one more shot. When he was healthy, he was hitting much better, after adopting his new approach and stance. He was a .300 hitter every month, until the last two months of the season, even with missing May with the broken hamate bone.

The other encouraging thing to me is that he hit RHP at a very respectable level, all year. He finished with a .287 avg. and .347 OBP vs. RHP. It seems reasonable to anticipate that he'll do better vs lefties, next year. After all, they are usually easier for right handed hitters to hit. I know that his power numbers were way down, but that is likely the result of the weakened wrist.

The sad part is that even if he finally realizes his potential, it would be just in time for free agency.

Let's see if he can get it together, and maybe have some trade value. With Semien, L. Garcia, C. Sanchez, Tim Anderson and Micah Johnson, there are enough promising middle infielders to make Beckham expendable. The problem is that most of those guys are not ready, and Beckham's trade value if very low. One more year might help on all counts.

Edited by Lillian

In regards to how bad Beckham is ... he had 24 RBI in 408 plate appearances. Is that possible?

Getz actually had 18 RBI in 237 at bats. How can Beckham be so unproductive for a No. 8 overall pick in the draft?? Considering how high he was drafted, he has been such a bust. I'm sick of him. Beckham also had five stolen bases meaning he also is a bust in the speed category. Hopefully Hahn recognizes he has a replacement there in Semien and he can try to acquire a 3Bman to replace that black hole as well.

Get to work, Mr. Hahn on your plan.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
In regards to how bad Beckham is ... he had 24 RBI in 408 plate appearances. Is that possible?

Getz actually had 18 RBI in 237 at bats. How can Beckham be so unproductive for a No. 8 overall pick in the draft?? Considering how high he was drafted, he has been such a bust. I'm sick of him. Beckham also had five stolen bases meaning he also is a bust in the speed category. Hopefully Hahn recognizes he has a replacement there in Semien and he can try to acquire a 3Bman to replace that black hole as well.

Get to work, Mr. Hahn on your plan.

Yes, it's possible, when you consider that he only had 81 at bats with runners in scoring position. It would have only taken 8 more hits in that stat, for him to end up a .300 hitter with RISP. The sample size is just too small.

The Sox need to move out a lot of dead wood: Ramirez and De Aza for sure; Dunn would be number 1, but it's not realistic. We need a new culture here. Move Viciedo and Beckham too. Tired of players that swing at the ball in the dirt. Sox need a lot more OBP too, as well as power.

I'm fine with trading Santiago if you get full value.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
The Sox need to move out a lot of dead wood: Ramirez and De Aza for sure; Dunn would be number 1, but it's not realistic. We need a new culture here. Move Viciedo and Beckham too. Tired of players that swing at the ball in the dirt. Sox need a lot more OBP too, as well as power.

I'm fine with trading Santiago if you get full value.

De Aza has to go.

Beckham made more than $2.9 million last season.

I expect that would put him at $3.2 or so next season.

I'm for giving him one more chance. He was having a solid season but was hurt repeatedly. Came back OK from the first one but not the second.

Sox have bigger needs -- catcher, third baseman and another outfielder.

My wish list starts with getting rid of Dunn. I don't think the culture of the team will improve until he's gone. He's not in shape. He's never played for a team that has made the post season. He can't field. He can't run. He can't throw. He can't hit for average.

And I think his comments about how it was a wasted year since the Sox didn't make the playoffs came across as whiny.

Until he leaves, I don't see a major improvement.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)

I'm for giving him one more chance. He was having a solid season but was hurt repeatedly. Came back OK from the first one but not the second.

Sox have bigger needs -- catcher, third baseman and another outfielder.

My wish list starts with getting rid of Dunn. I don't think the culture of the team will improve until he's gone. He's not in shape. He's never played for a team that has made the post season. He can't field. He can't run. He can't throw. He can't hit for average.

And I think his comments about how it was a wasted year since the Sox didn't make the playoffs came across as whiny.

Until he leaves, I don't see a major improvement.

Isn't we widely considered a good teammate? Do you not realize he was the most productive hitter on our team? With so much garbage on this team, why on Earth would you prioritize getting rid of the best hitter?

I do not understand the personal player vendettas on this site. Don't you guys care about winning games?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
Isn't we widely considered a good teammate? Do you not realize he was the most productive hitter on our team? With so much garbage on this team, why on Earth would you prioritize getting rid of the best hitter?

I do not understand the personal player vendettas on this site. Don't you guys care about winning games?

Ya, dude was 5th in HRs and 15th in RBIs in the AL. Ks be damned you're gonna be hard pressed to find that kind of production when you're also looking to find that sort of production to replace PK.

His Ks suck, and him being nothing more than a dead pull hitter does as well but the fact of the matter is if he didn't K that much or he was able to spread the ball around he'd be a bonafide superstar. He's not, he has obvious flaws but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player, you Dunn haters just expect too much.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
On a 99 loss team and WORST baserunner in the league. Goodbye ADA

Not even close -- he was a +3.5 runner by UBR (EDIT: which is a stat that factors everything, including taking extra bases on singles and the like), an above average figure that was third best on the team behind Ramirez and Rios. That includes 20 SB at 71% success rate, which is just above the line for positive value added in SB/CS.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Things we need:

A star position player

One more really good hitter

We can win with that and all the potentially good hitters we already have. I'd look for Hahn to make some noise by acquiring a young star. Energize the base in one offseason.

What young star hitter is available? CarGo? Stanton?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:55 AM)
He was the second best position player on the team in 2013 by fWAR.

Yes but the team was the Sox worst in something like 40 years.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:02 AM)

Beckham has it made because he's a former No. 1 draft pick, eighth overall. Sox PROBABLY will let him be mediocre a SIXTH straight season maybe even give him a 7th before finally dumping him. I mean there's probably a small chance he might emerge (it took Alex Gordon a while), but for sure Beckham gets a break cause the Sox made a big mistake in drafting him that high. Another overvalued college hitting star who couldn't adjust.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:37 AM)

Yes and Dunn is a big reason we lose games. He stunk to begin the season again as we lost game after game. He is buzzkill. What'd he wind up with, 33 homers? That's like Babe Ruth on our pathetic team, but I agree with those who say he's just buzzkill, a bad influence with his horrific batting style of trying to pull everything that he happens to make contact with. No reason to discuss it ... no team will take Dunn off the Sox hands so one more year of the big fella. I'd expect .210, zillions of strikeouts, 30-36 homers, 90 ribbies.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
Ya, dude was 5th in HRs and 15th in RBIs in the AL. Ks be damned you're gonna be hard pressed to find that kind of production when you're also looking to find that sort of production to replace PK.

His Ks suck, and him being nothing more than a dead pull hitter does as well but the fact of the matter is if he didn't K that much or he was able to spread the ball around he'd be a bonafide superstar. He's not, he has obvious flaws but that doesn't mean he isn't a good player, you Dunn haters just expect too much.

I am a Dunn hater, that is true. But to be fair to us Dunn haters, when we see Dunn we see the letter L - he's played on Sox teams that have suffered L after L after L the last full season and last month of the previous season. Again, he's going nowhere so I better plan on canceling my MLB subscription before it renews itself. I can renew it the following year when he's gone.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
I am a Dunn hater, that is true. But to be fair to us Dunn haters, when we see Dunn we see the letter L - he's played on Sox teams that have suffered L after L after L the last full season and last month of the previous season. Again, he's going nowhere so I better plan on canceling my MLB subscription before it renews itself. I can renew it the following year when he's gone.

Good, hopefully you don't post in the time period. Your boy PK is far more of the reason why this team racked up L after L after L. I mean really, your boy hit .210 with 6 HRs at home this year, whereas Dunn hit .222 with 21 bombs. I mean seriously, c'mon.

Lol @ another part of your post where you say you expect him to hit 30 HRs and drive in 90 like that's a bad thing.