One move...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:59 PM)
Dunn will make ... what, $15 million next season?

He's played three years and had about 6 good months out of 18 baseball months.

Not in shape.

Doen't contribute in the field or on the bases.

He's never been a winner anywhere he's played.

Until he goes, I don't believe the Sox will be any better than an average team (and I know that would be an improvement over this season).

This posts are inflammatory, discriminatory, and flat out ridiculous.

You guys, just so you know, the White Sox won't have any better than an average team next year with Adam Dunn because "he's not a winner," not because "they have a bad team."

So, guys, this is the White Sox lineup next year

Trout - CF

Mauer - C

McCutchen - LF

Cabrera - 1B

Puig - RF

Dunn - DH

Machado - 3B

Tulowitzki - SS

Kipnis - 2B

Kershaw

Verlander

Sale

Felix

Wainwright

but you don't have to worry about them winning any games because Adam Dunn is in the lineup and he's not a winner, so that team won't be any better than average

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
If Adam Dunn is such a loser, what does that make Luke Appling? 2,422 baseball games without a single playoff appearance? His teams never won more than 86 games. And they dared to retire his number? It was obviously his fault those teams were never good.

ARE YOU COMPARING ADAM DUNN TO LUKE APPLING? HOW DARE YOU!!!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:27 PM)
When he gets denied arbitration this will show Sox do not value him either.

If the Sox non-tender De Aza this season, it either means he's a criminal and we don't know it yet, or that Rick Hahn should be immediately fired. This is why fans can't be GMs, too much emotion involved in the decisions we make. No reasonable argument I can make will change your mind that De Aza at ~$3m is a no brainer on this team, but it isn't because the argument isn't good, it's because you don't like him.

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
I think James Loney is a FA after this year, I'd like to see the Sox go after him this off-season.

Just like we went after Keppinger? Lol

Man I don't get what black magic TB uses to make players play out of their minds for one year before turning back into a pumpkin the minute they leave. But it feels like it's happened enough that you can't help but wonder if there's a real reason for it. Keppinger, Kotchman, Farnsworth, Wright -- and current candidates Rodney, Young, and Loney.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
If the Sox non-tender De Aza this season, it either means he's a criminal and we don't know it yet, or that Rick Hahn should be immediately fired. This is why fans can't be GMs, too much emotion involved in the decisions we make. No reasonable argument I can make will change your mind that De Aza at ~$3m is a no brainer on this team, but it isn't because the argument isn't good, it's because you don't like him.

DeAza is another guy who tends to annoy. 675 plate appearances this year and 147 strikeouts? Just 50 walks for a leadoff hitter. 20 stolen bases and caught 8 times. 17 homers and 62 ribbies. His extended two-year tryout has resulted in an average hitter. Because of all his blunders this year, I'd suggest he'll be shown the door with Tank and A. Garcia 2/3 of the outfield and a newcomer taking over in center.

There's potential in both De Aza and Tank if they can put what the did the last few years all together.

If De Aza can couple this years power with his obp the last 2 years (.400 in '11 and .349 in '12) then he can be a stud. I'd like to see him hit lower in the lineup if possible(Semien leading off?).

If Tank can couple this years output vs RHP and go back to pounding LHP like he did in 2012 (1.033 ops) then he would be a more than serviceable player offensively. I would hate to see him get traded for next to nothing and revert back to obliterating LHP else where.

Like Old Greg said in another thread I'd give them both 1 more year under a new hitting coach to see if he can help them put it all together.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)
DeAza is another guy who tends to annoy. 675 plate appearances this year and 147 strikeouts? Just 50 walks for a leadoff hitter. 20 stolen bases and caught 8 times. 17 homers and 62 ribbies. His extended two-year tryout has resulted in an average hitter. Because of all his blunders this year, I'd suggest he'll be shown the door with Tank and A. Garcia 2/3 of the outfield and a newcomer taking over in center.

The last thing this team needs to do right now is send an average player to the door considering how little talent there is on the roster.

BTW - Alejando De Aza was tied for 85th in the MLB with 6 others in BB% among qualified players at 7.4%. That means he was above average at drawing walks. Of course you'd like him to take more and strike out less, but jesus is this the ultimate in beggars can't be choosers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 10:01 PM)

The problem is that all those numbers you cited have him among the top two or three on the team. It's not so much that De Aza is great but that that almost every other player is way worse. And since De Aza is cost controlled and under market value (free agency tends to pay ~$5m per WAR), you'd be nuts not to keep him and spend your time and money upgrading everywhere else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
Once the arbitrator comes back with a decision. Both parties are obligated to it at that point.

Technically, the Sox can non-tender De Aza. They won't. Soxfest just wants them to because De Aza apparently angered him to the point of pure hatred while playing around with a ball on a field of grass and dirt while getting paid by someone else to do so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Technically, the Sox can non-tender De Aza. They won't. Soxfest just wants them to because De Aza apparently angered him to the point of pure hatred while playing around with a ball on a field of grass and dirt while getting paid by someone else to do so.

One of these days, I hope they come up with a reality show that actually runs a team according to fan popular vote. That would be worth watching for its legendary badness.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
One of these days, I hope they come up with a reality show that actually runs a team according to fan popular vote. That would be worth watching for its legendary badness.

Sounds like something we can set up during the 2014 season. We'll let the Sox get their guys, but we can set up polls for the infield, outfield and catcher, bench, rotation and bullpen around week 2-3 of Spring Training, and periodically we can create a new one and track it.

Edited by witesoxfan

That was followed five days later by "Grandstand Manager's Day," perhaps Veeck's most elaborate stunt. With himself, former Philadelphia Athletics manager Connie Mack, and thousands of fans holding placards that said yes on one side and no on the other, publicity director Bob Fischel held up cards with proposed moves - steal, bunt, change pitchers - to which the grandstand managers flashed their opinions.

While manager Zack Taylor puffed a pipe and relaxed in a rocking chair, the fans called an excellent game: The Browns won, 5-3, to stop a four-game losing streak.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
That was followed five days later by "Grandstand Manager's Day," perhaps Veeck's most elaborate stunt. With himself, former Philadelphia Athletics manager Connie Mack, and thousands of fans holding placards that said yes on one side and no on the other, publicity director Bob Fischel held up cards with proposed moves - steal, bunt, change pitchers - to which the grandstand managers flashed their opinions.

While manager Zack Taylor puffed a pipe and relaxed in a rocking chair, the fans called an excellent game: The Browns won, 5-3, to stop a four-game losing streak.

That's managerial decisions. Some of those are tougher, but if it just comes to bunting, swinging, taking pitchers out, whatever, I truly believe a trained chimp could do that.

Actually GMing a team is an entirely different story.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
That's managerial decisions. Some of those are tougher, but if it just comes to bunting, swinging, taking pitchers out, whatever, I truly believe a trained chimp could do that.

Actually GMing a team is an entirely different story.

Except a trained chimp could have done a better job coming up with a Sox offseason than Jeff Keppinger.

He could have been programmed with code...never take a former Rays' super-utility player, never take a former Rays' super-utility player. Rinse and repeat.

About the only thing that went okay/well/better than expected was picking up Gillaspie for Soptic. However, I bet there must be no more than 100 or so Conor authentic jerseys in existence in the United States today.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Except a trained chimp could have done a better job coming up with a Sox offseason than Jeff Keppinger.

He could have been programmed with code...never take a former Rays' super-utility player, never take a former Rays' super-utility player. Rinse and repeat.

About the only thing that went okay/well/better than expected was picking up Gillaspie for Soptic. However, I bet there must be no more than 100 or so Conor authentic jerseys in existence in the United States today.

Kevin Youkilis?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)

Keppinger has a career OPS of over .700. He just barely got to a .600 OPS by the end of the year. It was a colossally disappointing season. Blaming Hahn for that is like blaming Williams for Dunn - at some point, it's just bad luck, because on the surface the move is decent.

And the last part...why are you so obsessed with jersey sales? Who cares. Can't you just say "it was a good move" and be done?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Keppinger has a career OPS of over .700. He just barely got to a .600 OPS by the end of the year. It was a colossally disappointing season. Blaming Hahn for that is like blaming Williams for Dunn - at some point, it's just bad luck, because on the surface the move is decent.

And the last part...why are you so obsessed with jersey sales? Who cares. Can't you just say "it was a good move" and be done?

It would be nice, just once, to have a player to be excited about who was a position prospect we drafted and developed.

That's all.

Last year at this time, we all thought it might be Courtney Hawkins. Once upon a time, it was Beckham.

If they're already starting to losing fans who used to live and die with the White Sox, it's going to take even longer to get back the casual fans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Caulfield needs to go off on an irrelevant tangent. It's his trademark.

And it's your trademark to follow me around the website making the same comment.

Grow up...block me, whatever.

I'm sure you are taking credit for Hawkins' season going downhill with all of your friends.

I mean...seriously, I've hardly posted in months because the White Sox are so depressing and then to come here and have to fight the same battles over and over again...what's the point?

(Coming is 3, 2, 1....some comment about women or my ex or links to some thread from months ago that will somehow be designed to enact or wreak revenge upon me and anger all those who care, which is pretty much limited to less than five or perhaps even three).

Edited by caulfield12