Hahn speaks on '14

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/hahn-2...-look-different

The White Sox also need more defense, power and speed, not to mention a reason for fans to buy tickets for next season. I brought up Chicago native Curtis Granderson, the New York Yankees outfielder who is set to become a free agent and the kind of personality Sox fans could identify with and embrace.

Would the White Sox try bringing Granderson back home?

“Fortunately, given when we're taping this I can hide behind the tampering rules since he is currently property of another organization,” said a smiling Hahn, who then spoke in general terms about a guy like Granderson. “There are a lot of needs to address, and certainly some balance in the lineup, a guy who has some speed and some power and can help you on defense has some appeal.”

Lots of other stuff to read into in the article.

The White Sox have roughly $46 million committed to salaries next season. The team is allocating an additional $10 million or so for the domestic amateur draft and another $5 million for the international pool, which Hahn describes as “a real shot in the arm for our farm system.”

My favorite part from the article. Here is where Hahn and KW seem to differ. Whereas KW would spend every dime on the ML club and in fact take money from the International FA/Amateur draft pool of the Club, Hahn allocates a significant portion to them and won't subtract. Now it worked in 2005 and Iguchi/AJ probably were signed with draft/international FA money, I much rather Hahn's approach of less salary for the ML club and more player development.

I really trust Hahn.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
My favorite part from the article. Here is where Hahn and KW seem to differ. Whereas KW would spend every dime on the ML club and in fact take money from the International FA/Amateur draft pool of the Club, Hahn allocates a significant portion to them and won't subtract. Now it worked in 2005 and Iguchi/AJ probably were signed with draft/international FA money, I much rather Hahn's approach of less salary for the ML club and more player development.

I really trust Hahn.

Aren't those numbers entirely set by their draft position and the international caps?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)

I really trust Hahn.

I don't mind Hahn. I certainly don't think you can totally judge him yet, but to totally trust him? I think the jury is still out. This is a huge offseason for him. If the Sox are in the same position next season, while a couple of posters here will be doing cartwheels, if the people over him aren't meddling now, they definitely will be then.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
I for one, am glad the Sox spent money on AJP and Iguchi rather than saving it and signing the next Joe Borchard.

It wasn't necessarily the wrong thing to do. Now with the new rules, those days are pretty much done. In fact, I believe JR was a big voice in the new rules.

Absolutely. It was silly having the big spending teams just spending everywhere. These new draft and international cost limits are a great legacy and he can be proud of it.

I for one, am glad the Sox spent money on AJP and Iguchi rather than saving it and signing the next Joe Borchard.

It wasn't necessarily the wrong thing to do. Now with the new rules, those days are pretty much done. In fact, I believe JR was a big voice in the new rules.

Why do you always come back to Borchard on this? Next time it could be BJ Upton or Stephen Strasburg or Buster Posey, unless you prefer the White Sox not spending on amateur talent and drafting Lance Broadway, Aaron Poreda, and Kyle McCulloch.

Of course they missed on on the next Mike Trout too, but hey.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
I don't mind Hahn. I certainly don't think you can totally judge him yet, but to totally trust him? I think the jury is still out. This is a huge offseason for him. If the Sox are in the same position next season, while a couple of posters here will be doing cartwheels, if the people over him aren't meddling now, they definitely will be then.

If they repeat this mess next year then the heat should hit the coaching staff, but if they're in this boat following 2015 then the GM is going to have some splaining to do. That is, assuming the team isn't contracted after 3 years of this. (Sarcasm)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Why do you always come back to Borchard on this? Next time it could be BJ Upton or Stephen Strasburg or Buster Posey, unless you prefer the White Sox not spending on amateur talent and drafting Lance Broadway, Aaron Poreda, and Kyle McCulloch.

As far as I know, those players weren't available for the White Sox at draft time. Borchard is mentioned because it is the one time the White Sox actually did what so many wanted them to do, go way over slot for someone dropping because of signability issues, although I don't think slot existed then, to sign someone. And the one time the Sox won it all, they spent that money on guys that actually helped them win.

They paid Mitchell $15,000 less than the Angels paid Trout in the 2009 draft.

It's a non issue moving forward. JR did a nice job making it that way, and frankly, it should be that way.

Edited by Dick Allen

After reading this article, it sounds as if Hahn plans on spending big this winter. Upgrade the catcher position? YES please. How about 3b, CF and a 1B replacement for Pauly as well? How about finding a new home for Dunn? How about putting together a package involving Ramirez in attempt to upgrade the SS position? Do we stick it out with Viciedo out in LF? SOOOOO many questions need to be answered... there are ALOT of holes on this roster. IMO the only safe starting position players are Beckham 2b and Avi Garcia RF. Everything else can change at this point. I wish you well Hahn... time to get creative.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
After reading this article, it sounds as if Hahn plans on spending big this winter. Upgrade the catcher position? YES please. How about 3b, CF and a 1B replacement for Pauly as well? How about finding a new home for Dunn? How about putting together a package involving Ramirez in attempt to upgrade the SS position? Do we stick it out with Viciedo out in LF? SOOOOO many questions need to be answered... there are ALOT of holes on this roster. IMO the only safe starting position players are Beckham 2b and Avi Garcia RF. Everything else can change at this point. I wish you well Hahn... time to get creative.

Beckham was a huge part of the problem, too.

If you're cleaning house, Viciedo is "owed" at least one more year if you believe that Beckham's earned the starting role for 2014, especially with Semien lurking.

There is nobody in our minor league system pushing Viciedo at LF or 1B.

“There’s no pressure whatsoever to hire a big-name manager,” Epstein said. “We want to hire the right manager. We’re at a critical point in our building process where our very best prospects are soon going to be young big-league players.

“It’s absolutely imperative that we create the best environment possible for young players to come up here, continue to learn, continue to develop and thrive at the big-league level – and win, ultimately.”

Winning has been an afterthought at the big-league level, but the Cubs feel like elite prospects Javier Baez and Kris Bryant will keep moving fast through the system. As Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo and Darwin Barney struggled to make adjustments this season, Sveum, the hitting coaches and the front office got their wires crossed.

“We need to hire a manager and ultimately hire a staff that presents a unified message to young players,” Epstein said, “because the big leagues are hard enough. It’s confusing enough. We need to help them along that way and not get in their way at times.”

Epstein swung and missed on his first managerial hire here. One hundred and ninety-seven losses later, the Cubs have collected dozens of interesting prospects. But inevitably there will be questions about the guys picking the players, whether it’s investing $100 million in Castro and Rizzo or giving Edwin Jackson $52 million or trading for and re-signing Ian Stewart.

lots of lessons to be taken away from the Sveum experience for the Cubs...

what about the Ventura/Bell/Hahn experience for the White Sox?

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/c...p;vkey=news_chc

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:34 AM)
“There’s no pressure whatsoever to hire a big-name manager,” Epstein said. “We want to hire the right manager. We’re at a critical point in our building process where our very best prospects are soon going to be young big-league players.

“It’s absolutely imperative that we create the best environment possible for young players to come up here, continue to learn, continue to develop and thrive at the big-league level – and win, ultimately.”

Winning has been an afterthought at the big-league level, but the Cubs feel like elite prospects Javier Baez and Kris Bryant will keep moving fast through the system. As Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo and Darwin Barney struggled to make adjustments this season, Sveum, the hitting coaches and the front office got their wires crossed.

“We need to hire a manager and ultimately hire a staff that presents a unified message to young players,” Epstein said, “because the big leagues are hard enough. It’s confusing enough. We need to help them along that way and not get in their way at times.”

Epstein swung and missed on his first managerial hire here. One hundred and ninety-seven losses later, the Cubs have collected dozens of interesting prospects. But inevitably there will be questions about the guys picking the players, whether it’s investing $100 million in Castro and Rizzo or giving Edwin Jackson $52 million or trading for and re-signing Ian Stewart.

lots of lessons to be taken away from the Sveum experience for the Cubs...

what about the Ventura/Bell/Hahn experience for the White Sox?

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/c...p;vkey=news_chc

Two totally different situations. I agree with the people who think Theo hired Sveum as a placeholder. Let him take a horrible team a couple of years and put up with the losing, and then when you are ready to get a little better or it appears things are coming apart, which the last month the losing seemed to take it's toll, make the change to the guy you want to lead them when they are expected to be good and the new guy won't be beaten down and want to flee because of the previous losing.

Also, the jury is still out on Theo with the Cubs. You can win the best prospect trophy, but like the attendance trophy, it doesn't mean much unless those prospects actually become productive major leaguers.

Edited by Dick Allen