Dog training

Steff

Anyone ever use those "shock" collars to train dogs? Vet suggested that (since I don't have time to take Ginger to "school". She's just a puppy and the only thing I absolutely hate is how she jumps up on people when they come in the house. She doesn't chew, bite, excessively bark, or anything else "bad". And she's just 10 months old so I think she'll grow out of this anyway.

Do they work?

Anyone ever use those "shock" collars to train dogs? Vet suggested that (since I don't have time to take Ginger to "school". She's just a puppy and the only thing I absolutely hate is how she jumps up on people when they come in the house. She doesn't chew, bite, excessively bark, or anything else "bad". And she's just 10 months old so I think she'll grow out of this anyway.

Do they work?

What worked for my in laws is every time she gets up on you, put your hands firmly on her shoulders, push her into a sitting position, and tell her "no down". If she stays sitting pet her and tell her she is a good girl to reassure her that she is now doing the right thing. The thing is it has to be consistant, everyone has to do the exact samething. If one person is letting her jump on them, it sends the message that she can try it with other people.

Now if something like this didn't work, I have no idea.

Do they work?

By "shock" collar do mean a pinch collar? Or is there an actual shocking device in it? A pinch collar works really well for walk training, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

I am currently taking our puppy to puppy training class, and the instructor says the best way to keep the dog from jumping is to brush it off or ignore it when it's jumping, and reward it when he/she backs off.

Do they work?

By "shock" collar do mean a pinch collar? Or is there an actual shocking device in it? A pinch collar works really well for walk training, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

I am currently taking our puppy to puppy training class, and the instructor says the best way to keep the dog from jumping is to brush it off or ignore it when it's jumping, and reward it when he/she backs off.

No pinch. There are 2 actual prongs that sit on her neck and give a little voltage when we push the button (that's what's supposed to happen.. we have not bought or tried this yet). 3 ladies and 1 guy at the vet swear by it. And as for them telling you to ignore the dog when it jumps.. that would work if she didn't have nails and if she didn't do it when I come home from work in the work clothes. As for rewards.. she gets them for everything she does good. She knows what no means. So I just don't why she wont respond to no when she jumps. We even go to her level to greet her. She tries to jump on our shoulders and back then. :huh:

my dog did that a lot and occassionally will still do it and his paws would kill you...best thing is to push the dog down or put your hands out before in order to stop it from jumping on you

:rolleyes: That's not working... :lolhitting

You just have to be patient and stick with it.  She'll get it eventually.

I did read that you should never get on the same level as your dog--it gives it the impression that you are equals and can be dominated.

Oh geez... the pet trainer and the vet said that when greeting them it is OK to goto them..?

Damn.. it's worse than kids. Does Dr. Spock have a book on how to train dogs..?? :bang

Easy solution:  Put the dog in a seperate room when people come in the house.

That's no life for the dog. I would find her a new home if it came to that. I'm going to do everything I can first, and at least for another year.

What the heck would you suggest I do with a crying baby... :bang

I doubt she will grow out of it. Bad news is she has to know what she is doing wrong when you correct her. If you use the shock collar and it isn't timed just right, you could actually make the dog afraid of going near people because she could interpret the shock from the collar as a correction for going towards people and not jumping on people. One thing that is working for our dog is a slap to the head with an open hand as he is jumping upward. I would not recommend stepping on the dogs paws when they jump or kneeing them in the chest. Some trainers and vets will tell you to do this and it does work, but you risk breaking bones in their paws and chest if you do it. Another thing to do is put her on a leash when people come in and stand on it so she can't jump up. The slap to the head will train most dogs in a matter of hours and doesn't hurt them if you do it right.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I know someone who could use a shock collar  :rolleyes:

i know a few people who can use them..koch lol :lol:

btw,

do you recall that dog being very big??? i dont..

geez steff leave her alone shes ok.. i dont remember her jumping very much or being a pest like most small dogs are..... she will grow out of it......let her be.....its not like shes a german sheppard or rott......or some huge ass dog.......take the collar and put it to better use.. i have a few in mind....... :D

I doubt she will grow out of it. Bad news is she has to know what she is doing wrong when you correct her. If you use the shock collar and it isn't timed just right, you could actually make the dog afraid of going near people because she could interpret the shock from the collar as a correction for going towards people and not jumping on people. One thing that is working for our dog is a slap to the head with an open hand as he is jumping upward. I would not recommend stepping on the dogs paws when they jump or kneeing them in the chest. Some trainers and vets will tell you to do this and it does work, but you risk breaking bones in their paws and chest if you do it. Another thing to do is put her on a leash when people come in and stand on it so she can't jump up. The slap to the head will train most dogs in a matter of hours and doesn't hurt them if you do it right.

OMG... stepping on their paws??

I'm going to do the leash thing. That sounds best.

By the way. the shock think is supposedly a remote control thing that is instant and controlled. So if she got shocked when she jumped, then went down, then got praised for not jumping, do you think she'd still possibly grow afraid of people?

Regardless.. I'm going to use your idea first.

Thanks!

The shock collar will work, but if the timing is just a second off, the dog could interpret the correction incorrectly. There is no timing issue with the slap on the head because the dog is actually jumping into it and the dog will understand and learn very quick that jumping results in a slap to the head. Remember that a correction and a reward are 2 separate things in a dogs mind. A correction stops an action you don't want and a reward promotes and action you want. Keep in mind that if you reward the dog if they sit after jumping on people, the dog might interpret that they are supposed to jump on someone and then sit to be rewarded. So you need to correct the dog when jumping and tell them off. Don't use the sit command or down command because if you ever do train the dog, those are different commands. If you are going to use the leash, tell the dog down or sit when someone comes in and since you are standing on it and the dog can't jump, then reward her. If she does happen to jump, just correct her with no reward. Bring Ginger to the next tailgate or Coaches Time Out meating and we can work with her and break her of her jumping.

The shock collar will work, but if the timing is just a second off, the dog could interpret the correction incorrectly. There is no timing issue with the slap on the head because the dog is actually jumping into it and the dog will understand and learn very quick that jumping results in a slap to the head. Remember that a correction and a reward are 2 separate things in a dogs mind. A correction stops an action you don't want and a reward promotes and action you want. Keep in mind that if you reward the dog if they sit after jumping on people, the dog might interpret that they are supposed to jump on someone and then sit to be rewarded. So you need to correct the dog when jumping and tell them off. Don't use the sit command or down command because if you ever do train the dog, those are different commands. If you are going to use the leash, tell the dog down or sit when someone comes in and since you are standing on it and the dog can't jump, then reward her. If she does happen to jump, just correct her with no reward. Bring Ginger to the next tailgate or Coaches Time Out meating and we can work with her and break her of her jumping.

Yeah.. umm.. when is the next meeting...? You've got me scared to talk to my dog now. :o :lol:

Seriously.. I say "bad, down" to the jumping. Smack on the butt.. or whatever I can get to.. :angry: . Then she goes to her bed, and I give her that "you are a horrible animal" look. Then I tell her to stay or sit. If she does, she gets a treat. 5 or 6 minutes in between one action and the other. Is that enough time? I'll think about bringing her on the 6th. Vince, how's the kennel? Do I need to make an appointment?

A minute or less is more than enough time as long as they understand the correction. I know I threw quite a bit in here, but someone else already said something that makes a lot of sense. Be consistant with her. And make sure she understands that you are the dominant one and not her. Something the breeder told me was that it's hard for humans to understand how dogs think. He said that we want to treat them like a child and that doesn't work. A dog can love us and not respect us. In a dogs mind, we are just another part of their pack so we need to make sure it understands that we are the alpha. If Ginger doesn't see you as the alpha, she will never respect you or listen to you.

A minute or less is more than enough time as long as they understand the correction. I know I threw quite a bit in here, but someone else already said something that makes a lot of sense. Be consistant with her. And make sure she understands that you are the dominant one and not her. Something the breeder told me was that it's hard for humans to understand how dogs think. He said that we want to treat them like a child and that doesn't work. A dog can love us and not respect us. In a dogs mind, we are just another part of their pack so we need to make sure it understands that we are the alpha. If Ginger doesn't see you as the alpha, she will never respect you or listen to you.

She sits, stays, goes to her room, will not eat the treat unless I say it's ok, does not go upstairs when told not to, lays down, and speaks when told.

That makes me the alpha right?

Do they work?

no no no no no!

If you don't have the time to take her to obedience classes, either get a personal dog trainer to come to the house for the 6-8 weeks or send her to a class -

do it now - a dog while young can be trained to do anything but no to the shock collar

PM me if you have more questions about this - dog training is something I know a lot about (said by the person who took his car to the dealer for a problem that turned out to be a fuse replacement and a $54 bill, but I know nothing about cars - dogs, however, are my metier')

It sure sounds like it. I would guess that you are, but without seeing the actions of the dog it's hard to say for sure. Since you have a small dog, it doesn't matter too much except when you try to train them with things they might not want to do. What you could try to do is make her submit and see what her reaction and actions are. Lay her on her side and have 1 hand over her head and the other over her back end and in a calm but firm voice, tell her to settle. She should just lay there until you praise her and tell her to get up. If she tries to get up or cover any part of you with her head or paws, she is still not convinced that you are the alpha. Usually, the biggest problem with people training dogs is that they don't want to make the dog submit and become the alpha. Our female dog still gives my wife a hard time and doesn't really consider her as an alpha even though she will sit, go to her room, and not go upstairs. She is not aggresive, so I don't worry about my wife doing submission exercises with her, but I make her do them with the Rott because when he gets bigger, he could become a problem.

Don't get a shock collar, those things hurt the dog. Just continue to train it and things should get better. Go with what Ss2k3 said.

And if you doubt me that those things hurt, just try one on for size...trust me it hurts like hell. To prove a point my buddy and I tried it to get his step mom to take it off of his dog.

Holy s*** is all I can say. We kept trying to get it to go off and it wouldn't, all of a sudden the damn thing went off and shocked the hell out of us (it was one of the bark collars, so just picture me and my friend barking, trying to get shocked). :lol:

this is true stuff

consistency is key

and the reasion tot ake a dog to obedience classes is not so much to train the dog but to train the person and it is well worth it -

every time I take a new dog to class I learn a few new things and it pays off big time - I ahve big dogs and they are trained totally off leash and I have total control over them - they know damn well who is alpha dog in the household and as zach saysm, dogs want that, they are pack animals, so go with it - and that is a palce where consistency comes in -

here's a tip - from day one, I put my hand in my dog's food while it eats and I take food out of its mouth and every so often I do it when they get older just because I can - two reasons, one, it is a reminder that I am clearly alpha because I can take food of their mouths and the dog taht ever resents that is going to ahve a tough time - second reason, they get something in their mouths they shouldn't have, I can take it out, which can be a life saver.

Loving consistency though - positive reinforcement - when I put my hand in the food dish, I am out loud verbally telling them what a pretty dog they are and what good food it is and I ask them if they like it - doesn't matter what you say, it is tone of voice, and loving - reduce confrontations to the minimum - that's when you can reprimand a dog as needed by tone of voice alone, or even a look - and they do what I want because that is what our pack does and is happy, not because they are afraid

dog jumping on people though - every dog has its thing, the one thing that it will do no matter what. My pup wants to sit on my grandson's head when he comes over and play and the grandson doesn't like it - I ahve a crate int eh living room, the first time the pupo does what is wrong, I open the crate door and without a word the pup goes in (because otherwise I will out him in and he knows it - a good dog, a well trained dog, will do what he doesn't want to do) and I close the crate - he sits and sees the other dog(s) and the kid and me and in a few minutes I let him out and he is perfect after that - he still needs that reminder I guess, at least now - he never gets scolded, no way do you ever hit a dog, nothing negative, he's not locked away, and he joins the party really soon and all is wonderful in our world.

OMG.. this is too much.

And Jas... I tried the collar on my arm at the vet at lunch today and got up to level 7 before it made the hair on my arm stand up. I guess PETA caused some s*** a year or so ago and they are much mower voltage now...?