Arizona Fall League thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
I actually agree with you there, the Sox might have gotten a good player but he basically lost 2 years where he should be developing to that injury. Another team might have had more success with him but unlikely since he was raw before the injury.

What really drives me nuts is all the people saying how they knew we should have taken Trout. I actually once went back to that year's draft thread to check. The only response to Trout being drafted from the entire board was something similar to "the Angels sure do love their outfielders, don't they"?

It's a dumb comment to make when something similar can be said for every draft in the past, and every draft from now on. Anytime you can retroactively look back at the best player from a draft class, if he wasn't taken #1 overall, then there will ALWAYS be at least 1 team that "should have known". You will drive yourself crazy thinking like that. This wasn't drafting Hayden Simpson.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
It's a dumb comment to make when something similar can be said for every draft in the past, and every draft from now on. Anytime you can retroactively look back at the best player from a draft class, if he wasn't taken #1 overall, then there will ALWAYS be at least 1 team that "should have known". You will drive yourself crazy thinking like that. This wasn't drafting Hayden Simpson.

The fact the Colts (and experts) were trying to decide between Leaf and Manning makes all hindsight draft talk pointless and stupid.

Micah Johnson getting tons of love.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 9m

Remember the name Micah Johnson. Could help the White Sox as soon as next year. Confident, talented kid who understands his game.

Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff 5m

@scottmerkin Micah Johnson- I talked about him at length today on the radio. I think he brings some energy and life to the team.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m

@BerniePleskoff No doubt about it, Bernie. And it was a team lacking that life in '13, although 99 losses has that effect ~

If Semein could stay at third this would be perfect for the Sox. Eventually get Micah at second and trade Beckham a year or two from now. With Leury and Avi. Thi team will have major speed in 2 years.

I also really think that Thompson make an impact in a couple years.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
If Semein could stay at third this would be perfect for the Sox. Eventually get Micah at second and trade Beckham a year or two from now. With Leury and Avi. Thi team will have major speed in 2 years.

I also really think that Thompson make an impact in a couple years.

There are people who don't believe Johnson will stay at 2B and that his hands are a little rocky. The comparison I came up with was Emilio Bonafacio.

Regarding Thompson, if he can become a 4th outfielder, Drew Stubbs type of player, it'd be a success.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
There are people who don't believe Johnson will stay at 2B and that his hands are a little rocky. The comparison I came up with was Emilio Bonafacio.

Regarding Thompson, if he can become a 4th outfielder, Drew Stubbs type of player, it'd be a success.

I was surprised to see Bernie Pleskoff saying good things about Micah's D from yesterday. Said to be smooth on the double play too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
I was surprised to see Bernie Pleskoff saying good things about Micah's D from yesterday. Said to be smooth on the double play too.

That'd be good. I still want to see him continuing to hit, but he sounds like a nice prospect. I'd love to see Semien stick at 3B, but really, if he can play 2B and Johnson can be a super sub kind of player, it would not be a bad thing whatsoever.

I'd be thrilled to see both of them make it as guys who can get on base, run and cause turmoil by putting pressure on the defense.

Hopefully they are working hard with Johnson on his defense. When he played at Indiana, he had problems throwing the ball accurately.

But he's a smart, tough kid with a lot of confidence. Need more of those.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
That'd be good. I still want to see him continuing to hit, but he sounds like a nice prospect. I'd love to see Semien stick at 3B, but really, if he can play 2B and Johnson can be a super sub kind of player, it would not be a bad thing whatsoever.

I have a hard time seeing Micah as a super-sub. Even if he improves at 2B, he'd still have to learn SS and/or 3B. Semien has a better defensive tool kit for being a super-sub, but he also (IMO) has more overall offensive potential, at least with the bat.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
Jacobs PH for Semien, homered. Semien 0-4. Mitchell 2-4, HR.

Two games, no Sox pitchers yet - that is odd. Bassitt, Vance, Leesman and McCray on their roster. Should see them soon.

Good to see Jacobs hit a bomb. Mitchell with a solid day

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
I have a hard time seeing Micah as a super-sub. Even if he improves at 2B, he'd still have to learn SS and/or 3B. Semien has a better defensive tool kit for being a super-sub, but he also (IMO) has more overall offensive potential, at least with the bat.

I want to see the pair as our 1-2 hitters starting in 2015, or even late this coming year if Micah develops quickly. These guys don't have to be utility guys just because the scouts haven't seen them define their positions yet - that would be a major blow to our future hopes of success, imo. We've got other guys who clearly profile as utility/D replacement types, LGarcia and CSanchez being the obvious choices there. Tim Anderson, if he's legit, will play SOMEwhere in the infield, but probably not until mid-late 2015 at the earliest. The more I think about it, I'm glad Lexi is still here, and I expect a bounce-back season from him defensively. Would certainly like to know more about his father-in-law's death, and it makes me wonder if the families of defectors become targets for extortion and other evils - pure speculation on my part here.

And perhaps in part because I see the system in better shape infield-wise than outfield-wise, I also want to see Micah get a look in CF before too long (thought it might happen in this AFL, but maybe it's premature). Right now, I like JMay more than any other potential CF in our system, and he's a long way off, obviously. Still have a modicum of optimism about Trayce, but a light needs to go on this coming season, or it likely never will.

All 4 Sox pitchers pitched yesterday and it gets no talk here? For shame =p.

McCray, for whatever reason, started the game with Leesman, Bassit, and Vance combining with 2 others to throw a shutout

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...4&c_id=t454

Micah Johnson went 2-4 with a walk, a triple, and 3 RBI

Mitchell was 0-3 but he did drive in a run and came around to score (I'm assuming he reached on a fielders choice).

Semien and Jacobs had the day off.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
All 4 Sox pitchers pitched yesterday and it gets no talk here? For shame =p.

McCray, for whatever reason, started the game with Leesman, Bassit, and Vance combining with 2 others to throw a shutout

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...4&c_id=t454

Micah Johnson went 2-4 with a walk, a triple, and 3 RBI

Mitchell was 0-3 but he did drive in a run and came around to score (I'm assuming he reached on a fielders choice).

Semien and Jacobs had the day off.

Vance is a reliever, and I'm pretty sure that is what Leesman will be in the future. Bassitt, I think they are trying to protect him innings-wise. He's pitched over 160 this year, after about 90 last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
Vance is a reliever, and I'm pretty sure that is what Leesman will be in the future. Bassitt, I think they are trying to protect him innings-wise. He's pitched over 160 this year, after about 90 last year.

I reckon that would make some sense. Was hoping to see him as a starter in the AFL but that is quite the workload. The good news is he should be stretched out by the time he reaches the bigs.