Make your arguments why Ventura isn't like Baker?

caulfield12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
And this has what to do with the average price versus section by section.

Sox upper reserved seats for 2012 alds were $45. Regular cost was as high as $30. But scout seats were $300 in the alds, while they are $285 for regular season.

Priced determined by MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

I'm just refuting your earlier point. MLB only sets the World Series ticket prices...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)

I'm just refuting your earlier point. MLB only sets the World Series ticket prices...

fair enough. but the larger point is that the ticket revenue, no matter who sets it, flows to the head office in NYC. The indians do not get the AL Wild Card game money. They will get a slice of the total compensation pie.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)

Also, not all teams have 50,000 seats like la or Atlanta. Those teams charge less due to larger capacities.

Pittsburgh had $20 standing room tix for the wild card and NLDS games.

WS ticket prices are determined by MLB, not Divison Series prices. Why in the world would Bud demand Indians fans pay an average of over $400 per game?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
fair enough. but the larger point is that the ticket revenue, no matter who sets it, flows to the head office in NYC. The indians do not get the AL Wild Card game money. They will get a slice of the total compensation pie.

Only a percentage of it does. The teams get to keep a decent percentage themselves.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Only a percentage of it does. The teams get to keep a decent percentage themselves.

ALL ticket money goes to mlb to distribute. They use 12 DS games, 4 CS games and 2 WS games to dish out to players and teams. The rest goes to mlb.

Hockey is the sport where playoff ticket money is dished out via revenue sharing. But those clubs do not send the money to Toronto.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
ALL ticket money goes to mlb to distribute. They use 12 DS games, 4 CS games and 2 WS games to dish out to players and teams. The rest goes to mlb.

Hockey is the sport where playoff ticket money is dished out via revenue sharing. But those clubs do not send the money to Toronto.

You are not correct. Think about it, aif it didn't make a big impact on their own revenue, why would the Indians charge over $400 a ticket on average? So MLB can make more money? There wouldn't be such a difference between what teams were charging if it was going to all be divvyed up. Some of it goes to the league, some of it for the playoff shares players get, but the team keeps a decent percentage.

There was an article a couple of years ago how the DBacks heighted their payroll based on a hopeful long playoff run to cover the increase. The playoff run didn't happen.

When you buy playoff tickets you buy the from the White Sox and not MLB. If playoff ticket money is refunded for unplayed games, the White Sox refund you, not MLB. If it was all going to MLB, they wouldn't need the middleman.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
You are not correct. Think about it, aif it didn't make a big impact on their own revenue, why would the Indians charge over $400 a ticket on average? So MLB can make more money? There wouldn't be such a difference between what teams were charging if it was going to all be divvyed up. Some of it goes to the league, some of it for the playoff shares players get, but the team keeps a decent percentage.

There was an article a couple of years ago how the DBacks heighted their payroll based on a hopeful long playoff run to cover the increase. The playoff run didn't happen.

When you buy playoff tickets you buy the from the White Sox and not MLB. If playoff ticket money is refunded for unplayed games, the White Sox refund you, not MLB. If it was all going to MLB, they wouldn't need the middleman.

The AVERAGE is based off tickets in the upper corner as well as the dugout seats behind home plate. you know, ones that cost $400 already.

Also, like i said before, these teams have the stubhub prices in front of them. They are charging secondary prices at the primary market level.

Based of 2011, players got 60 percent of the gate for 24 games. The number of minimum games needed assuming every series was a sweep. 100% The other 12 still go to mlb to distribute. How much a team gets is unknown. But what is known is that some owners, like Jerry, purposely wrote into stadium leases that playoff STADIUM money was not part of any rent agreement. Now why would jerry do that if he was expecting a windfall of money in a playoff run from ticket sales?

For all we know, the excess money gained from non-sweeps is distributed among all 30 teams.

As for the indians again, they have been known to gouge their fans. phantom playoff tix in 2011 were 92% higher than regular season tix.

Also of note: My game 163 tix in 2008 (lower box down the line) cost MORE than my ALDS tix in Lower Reserved Outfield.

EDIT: Yes, the Sox are the ones who "sell" my playoff tix, but look on the back. I sure don't see no damm dunkin donuts ad on them. I see bud selig's signature.

Edited by ewokpelts

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
The AVERAGE is based off tickets in the upper corner as well as the dugout seats behind home plate. you know, ones that cost $400 already.

Also, like i said before, these teams have the stubhub prices in front of them. They are charging secondary prices at the primary market level.

Based of 2011, players got 60 percent of the gate for 24 games. The number of minimum games needed assuming every series was a sweep. 100% The other 12 still go to mlb to distribute. How much a team gets is unknown. But what is known is that some owners, like Jerry, purposely wrote into stadium leases that playoff STADIUM money was not part of any rent agreement. Now why would jerry do that if he was expecting a windfall of money in a playoff run from ticket sales?

For all we know, the excess money gained from non-sweeps is distributed among all 30 teams.

As for the indians again, they have been known to gouge their fans. phantom playoff tix in 2011 were 92% higher than regular season tix.

Also of note: My game 163 tix in 2008 (lower box down the line) cost MORE than my ALDS tix in Lower Reserved Outfield.

EDIT: Yes, the Sox are the ones who "sell" my playoff tix, but look on the back. I sure don't see no damm dunkin donuts ad on them. I see bud selig's signature.

It's part of Jerry's agreement because his rent goes up with higher attendance for games that weren't scheduled, not because he's not getting paid. It makes no sense for a team to charge it's fans who barely come to games anyway $400 on average for 43,000 people if it all is divided up among the teams. They marked up their average ticket price 697% from the regular season. No sense at all. The Indians were hoping to recoup some of the funds they paid out when the fans didn't show up this year. There was another article that said the Indians would be better off giving away free division series tickets to fans willing to commit to season tickets next season.

Edited by Dick Allen

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/201...09929/0/SEARCH#

The Indians were planning to do the exact same thing two years ago.

The Indians explained at the time that Major League Baseball plays a role in determining those prices. It's safe to say that the Indians' low regular-season prices — for which I've praised the team — had an impact on the markup; the team has the fifth-lowest average ticket price this season, according to Team Marketing Report's Fan Cost Index.

But still, the increase was staggering, and I wanted to keep my eyes peeled for other potential playoff teams' prices. Like the Indians, all teams close to a playoff berth have announced ways their fans can register for a chance to buy playoff tickets. The Detroit Tigers, perhaps a World Series favorite right now with the way they're playing, have not set prices, a spokesman told me Tuesday. The Milwaukee Brewers have not returned emails.

But the Atlanta Braves have set prices for the National League Divisional Series, in which the team is a lock to participate. And the difference is marked.

The average NLDS ticket price at Turner Field — where the Braves have the ninth-lowest average ticket price, according to TMR — is $50.45, or 29% lower than the Indians' initial prices. The Braves' postseason average is only 6.3% higher than the team's $47.45 regular-season average price. The largest increase was at the lowest price point, from $8 to $20.

(The difference between my calculations and Team Marketing Report's: TMR uses a weighted average based on the number of seats in each pricing category. I'm simply taking the average price of all categories listed on a team's website.)

Now, there could be other circumstances involved in the discrepancy: For instance, the Braves have had trouble in the past selling playoff tickets — fans may be a bit spoiled by the team's consistent success, something the Indians have, uh, lacked since their mid-to-late-'90s heyday — and the league may have thought the Indians would draw better, given our desire to see a winner.

But the wild diversion between the two teams' approach makes me wonder how much influence the league actually has in the process, to which the Indians alluded last month.

Even the Rangers, who went to the World Series last year, increased playoff ticket prices less than what the Indians had planned. According to a team news release, the Rangers’ average ticket price for the playoffs, in nine categories, is $56.11. That’s a 62.4% jump over Texas’ $34.55 average in those same categories for regular season “premier” games.

The Rangers had some big jumps, like the Indians: grandstand reserved went from $8 to $40. But their most expensive seat increased only $6, to $75. But still, their markup was far less than the Indians’, and Texas’ average ticket price is 21.4% less than Cleveland’s.

(And yes, I realize the issue of Indians playoff tickets likely is moot, now. It was a good summer, and hopefully they can get healthy and make another run next season. But this is an interesting issue, given the sensitive relationship between the team, its owner and its fans.)

Edited by caulfield12