Rumor: Sox, Expos Close on 8-Player Deal

MurcieOne

Is there any other source other than some idiot on a cbssportsline.com message board who, judging by the reaction his post got, had been posting other bs trade rumors? I don't believe it for one second. Omar Minaya is being swamped with offers from different teams. He said that today he was still visiting with some teams for the first time, and that tommorrow he will probably start visiting teams for the second team. He says that he will have met with about 20 teams by the time he is done, and that he has already ruled out several teams who didn't have the resources to get a trade done. Does anyone believe for one second that he will would have actually decided on a trade that he feels is fair by now? He would have had to have received a trade offer that overwhelmed him if he was just going to ignore listening to offers from other teams and accept that one trade. I seriously doubt that the Expos will make any trades before Monday. They will probably field a bunch of offers, and narrow down the list of teams that could potentially pull off a trade. Then continue to talk to those teams, playing the teams offers off each other in order to increase what they can get in a trade, until they finally get final offers and decided on what trade they want.

Sorry, but I don't believe this trade at all. As much as I would like to believe that we would get Colon, Vidro, and Barrett this soon, it just makes zero sense. I don't expect the Expos to make a trade for another few weeks, and Guerrero will not be traded and I think they will try to keep Colon as well.

Originally posted by Jjav829

Is there any other source other than some idiot on a cbssportsline.com message board who, judging by the reaction his post got, had been posting other bs trade rumors? I don't believe it for one second. Omar Minaya is being swamped with offers from different teams. He said that today he was still visiting with some teams for the first time, and that tommorrow he will probably start visiting teams for the second team. He says that he will have met with about 20 teams by the time he is done, and that he has already ruled out several teams who didn't have the resources to get a trade done. Does anyone believe for one second that he will would have actually decided on a trade that he feels is fair by now? He would have had to have received a trade offer that overwhelmed him if he was just going to ignore listening to offers from other teams and accept that one trade. I seriously doubt that the Expos will make any trades before Monday. They will probably field a bunch of offers, and narrow down the list of teams that could potentially pull off a trade. Then continue to talk to those teams, playing the teams offers off each other in order to increase what they can get in a trade, until they finally get final offers and decided on what trade they want.

Sorry, but I don't believe this trade at all. As much as I would like to believe that we would get Colon, Vidro, and Barrett this soon, it just makes zero sense. I don't expect the Expos to make a trade for another few weeks, and Guerrero will not be traded and I think they will try to keep Colon as well.

Well said....... I think we should all take this for what it is, a rumor. But rumors are fun to speculate on.

Originally posted by Murcielago

Well said....... I think we should all take this for what it is, a rumor. But rumors are fun to speculate on.

I like speculating on rumors, but I seriously doubt that the Sox and Expos and "close" on a deal. This rumor has gotten out of hand to the point where it is on almost every White Sox and Expos message board. The Expos are likely not "close" to any deal right now.

If this trade happens I will never say another bad word about Williams as long as I live. We would be getting a catcher to take over til Olivos ready, a pitcher to go behind MB and a star second baseman that could scoot DJ to short and put Manos on the bench. This trade is too good to be true.

Oh gee, I feel very much like an idiot for even responding to such a nutty rumor with such enthusiasm.

Originally posted by theoldromanIf this trade happens I will never say another bad word about Williams as long as I live. We would be getting a catcher to take over til Olivos ready, a pitcher to go behind MB and a star second baseman that could scoot DJ to short and put Manos on the bench. This trade is too good to be true.

Jose isn't going to be on the bench.

Nice job Mario. I found this part odd,

But he does make the Sox slight favorites to win the AL Central and an immediate threat for the World Series, which is what Williams may take a chance on. 

So we're slight favorites to win the Central. Meaning we'd just edge out Minnesota, yet after they edge out the Twins, they have a real shot at the Series?

Originally posted by Mr. Showtime
Originally posted by theoldromanIf this trade happens I will never say another bad word about Williams as long as I live. We would be getting a catcher to take over til Olivos ready, a pitcher to go behind MB and a star second baseman that could scoot DJ to short and put Manos on the bench. This trade is too good to be true.

Neither is Dangelo. Val isnt that good, he should sit while the youngsters like DJ get to play. DJ looked great last fall, lets give him a chance...

Originally posted by witesoxfan

Valentin isn't that good?  How many other shortstops can hit .250 with 25 homers and 75 RBI?

Ya, and How Many can make 40 errors in a full season like he would.

Oh ya, lets not forget striking out 120 plus times in a full season. Manos stinks!

Originally posted by witesoxfan

Valentin isn't that good?  How many other shortstops can hit .250 with 25 homers and 75 RBI?

Don't forget his timely hitting with RISP. As a matter of fact, I believe he led the AL in this stat for quite some time in 2002. But it's nothing but errors as far as the Valentin bashers are concerned.

thanks ian,

a threat doesn't mean favorite.

also, there isn't one dominating team in the majors. the Twins were a pretty damn good team last year and could've just of easily won the WS. so this trade will make the sox favorites in their division and make them contenders for the world series, just like the Twins were last year after winning the AL Central.

I get what you are saying though, but their isn't a clear WS favorite this year, not by a long shot.

Originally posted by theoldroman
Originally posted by Mr. Showtime

Neither is Dangelo. Val isnt that good, he should sit while the youngsters like DJ get to play. DJ looked great last fall, lets give him a chance...

So by your reasoning, 30 games in the ML's, some of which Jimenez played a game or two at SS and a game or two at 2B, qualifies Jimenez to bump the vet to the bench? Explain your logic please.

Originally posted by theoldroman

Well look at it. Val doesnt have much of a BA or OBP and hes the second place hitter. Vidro has a much better BA and OBP and so does DJ. And would you want Val hitting leadoff? And if you do bench DJ who does leadoff? Surely not Manos...

Goddamn..... Jimenez played 30 games at the most! Stop the insanity! I want to see D'angelo do good too, but c'mon! If the trade does go through, Vidro will be the leadoff man and Manos will bat in the 2 spot.

1.) Vidro

2.) Valentin

3.) Konerko

4.) Maggs

5.) Thomas

6.) Liefer (or whoevers in LF)

7.) Crede

8.) Olivo

9.) Rowand.....

Or something like that.

Vidro isn't a leadoff hitter. Thats the thing. Jimenez is being groomed for that slot and has played it.

This isn't just 30 games, two years ago he was very good with the Padres. This is a guy that doesn't k a lot, has patience, speed and is a very good slap hitter. This guy should hit .280 with a .360 obp, and should continue to get better.

Valentin isn't a leadoff hitter. He'll hit .250 with an obp right at .300 with a ton of k's.

That puts him as a back of the lineup hitter. I know most see him as a 2 hitter, but he ain't even that.

Vidro isn't a leadoff hitter, he is a #2 guy, maybe #3.

There are three things you hope to get out of a leadoff hitter. a guy with good speed, good baserunning skills, and patience, Vidro has none of these.

I would rather have Jimenez leadoff.

personally, IF we were to make a deal like this, deal Valentin for anybody. we don't have to get anything of the value, just make sure the person is cheap and somewhat usable. the point would be to dump his 5 mil in salary.

throw Jimenez at short and have him leadoff.

SS-Jimenez

2B-Vidro

DH-Thomas

RF-Ordonez

1B-Konerko

LF-Liefer

3B-Crede

CF-Rowand

C-Olivo

Once again, if this deal were to happen.