Alabama

LowerCaseRepublican

I have been watching this go from small story to fevered f***ing debate over this. I wonder what Christian groups would say if the monument was the Pillars of Islam or another religion's beliefs.

I have been watching it today on TV and there is a guy who keeps yelling "PUT IT BACK! DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS ON GOD, YOU GOD HATERS!" and I keep laughing because it's exactly what the organizers said they didn't want people to do.

Anyway, what's peoples' stance on this event?

I personally think that it preferences one religion by having them and the Chief Justice was an idiot for not moving them when ordered to.

I have a hard time deciding what I think the consitiution is trying to say with that. But, as soon as the Supreme Court turned down his appeal to hear the case, Moore should have abided by that decesion. Basically he was saying that he was above the ruling of the law of the land, which is BS. What would have been the difference if someone he had ruled against decided he interpreted the constitution wrong and kept doing what he was doing? What would the difference be? The fact that he is a state supreme court justice doesn't mean he is anymore immune to the rule of law than me or anyone else. IMO he should be prosecuted and fined for every penny of extra cost associated with the case.

TMQ had some good analysis, I think...

Judge Roy Moore, the publicity-seeker who put the 2.5-ton Ten Commandments in the Alabama state courthouse, declared Monday that he could disobey the direct order of a federal judge because "judges do not make laws, they interpret them." Since, Moore continued, an interpretation can be wrong, therefore he may defy a judicial order. So presumably Judge Moore also thinks that if he sentences a man to prison, the man can declare that the interpretation might be wrong and walk free? It's exactly the same logic.

there's more if any of you care to read it, http://espn.go.com/page2/s/tmq/030826.html scroll down a little more than half way down the page, between the Packers and Vikings.