Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
Is that KW or Hahn?

Yeah, who knows. I have to lay the burden of the final say on Hahn, though, even if it's KW or someone else feeding him the recommendations. At some point, you have to look around and see that the plan isn't working out, you know?

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Yeah, who knows. I have to lay the burden of the final say on Hahn, though, even if it's KW or someone else feeding him the recommendations. At some point, you have to look around and see that the plan isn't working out, you know?

At least Franco makes a fair amount of contact and he was tearing the minors apart at a young age. This isn't Avisail Garcia who we think is a good prospect but has still been rather mediocre and hasn't put up a lot of great peripherals.

Edited by witesoxfan

I'd be all for signing Granderson for a one year deal, let him build his value back up. He could easily share LF/DH with Viciedo/Dunn. Hell, the Sox might even have a valuable trade chip come July. No clue if Granderson would be willing to do a one year deal. I highly doubt there isn't a team out there that would offer him more.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
At least Franco makes a fair amount of contact and he was tearing the minors apart at a young age. This isn't Avisail Garcia who we think is a good prospect but has still been rather mediocre and hasn't put up a lot of great peripherals.

Yeah, I'd love to see plate discipline numbers with him, but going off of a pretty lengthy Jason Parks piece on a podcast, he's a hacker. He has made good contact so far, based on his K rates, but it's one thing to make contact on bad minor league pitches, and entirely another against MLB stuff.

Here's an interesting tidbit. The Sox were 18th in strike outs. There were 4 playoff teams ahead of them (all in the top 7) and 2 more playoff teams were just 11 Ks behind us. 2 of those teams had 100 LESS ABs and another had 93 less ABs to reach that feat.

I don't think the Ks Grandy(Dunn fits in this discussion as well) will bring will make THAT big a difference as long as he's producing like we know The Grandy Man can(ya I went there).

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
I like this idea. Take Eithier's entire contract if they throw in Joc Pederson.

For who from the Sox? There are David Price for Pederson, Seagar, Urias, and Withdrow rumors floating out there. That's 3 top 100 prospects for David Price.

Even if they take on all of Ethiers contract chances are they're going to have to give up Quintana and even then that might be a stretch if you want Pederson.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
Better idea would be to just offer a ton of money for the prospect and f*** taking on a horrible contract after the team just dumped contracts.

The Dodgers will then look at the $30 million you offered, realize that You're about to sign a $2 billion TV contract and that winning the division probably made several hundred million more, and say "screw it we make more by keeping the prospect and winning."

Why would the Dodgers throw in Pederson?

If they're going to trade/subsidize Ethier or Crawford, they're not going to throw a top prospect into the deal as a sweetener.

Because they don't have to...the main reason for the trade is simply as a favor or show of respect to a veteran player to send them somewhere they can play everyday, but, as this season has shown with Kemp's health, it's not the worst idea in the world to have four guys out there.

They're not being financially forced or squeezed to make that deal, that's for sure.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Well this is silly and short-sighted. The last thing the Bulls need is an expensive point guard who will miss the whole year while he sits and he's not injured. Same argument. Let's not look at their career averages and try and figure out what they'll actually do, let's base their entire career based on what they did in their worst overall season, regardless of the reason it was the worst.

Well this is silly and ignores reality. One player is a 25 year old former MVP and the other will be 33 on Opening Day and has hit .247 over his last 2,490 at bats. WHOA SAME EXACT THING.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
Well this is silly and ignores reality. One player is a 25 year old former MVP and the other will be 33 on Opening Day and has hit .247 over his last 2,490 at bats. WHOA SAME EXACT THING.

Oh you mean the .246/.333/.484/.817 he's put up over the last 5 years, which would be incredibly valuable in the middle of the lineup?

I understand not wanting him because he's old, but just say you don't want him because he's old and declining, because you are making yourself look silly with your other arguments.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
So would everyone. Except Marty.

Since the Dodgers literally have no need to "Save money", the only reason why they should trade Ethier is if they get something back that makes their team better next year. They would probably be willing to throw in money to make that happen, but they need to get something immediately valuable back to have it make sense, and they are not going to throw in any prospect in exchange for the other team eating salary, because they're loaded.

The actual deal for Ethier will be something like "Ethier plus $40 million for Hector Santiago and Jordan Danks". They get a strong arm to put at the back of their rotation instead of Edinson Volquez, they give up enough money to make Ethier no-longer overpaid for the team taking him on.

They have no reason to trade him for less than that, they can wait and have 4 OF's who play interchangeably until someone offers them that quality of a deal, one that makes their team better right now and fills their major need right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Since the Dodgers literally have no need to "Save money", the only reason why they should trade Ethier is if they get something back that makes their team better next year. They would probably be willing to throw in money to make that happen, but they need to get something immediately valuable back to have it make sense, and they are not going to throw in any prospect in exchange for the other team eating salary, because they're loaded.

The actual deal for Ethier will be something like "Ethier plus $40 million for Hector Santiago and Jordan Danks". They get a strong arm to put at the back of their rotation instead of Edinson Volquez, they give up enough money to make Ethier no-longer overpaid for the team taking him on.

They have no reason to trade him for less than that, they can wait and have 4 OF's who play interchangeably until someone offers them that quality of a deal, one that makes their team better right now and fills their major need right now.

Eithier is not worth Santiago if the Dodgers pick up Eithier's entire contract. I think the Dodgers would very much like some team to pick up Either's contract and might be willing to give a pretty good prospect. I hear they like Cano.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
Eithier is not worth Santiago if the Dodgers pick up Eithier's entire contract. I think the Dodgers would very much like some team to pick up Either's contract and might be willing to give a pretty good prospect. I hear they like Cano.

Marty what are you basing this on? This notion is insane. They have already budgeted for Ethier's contract -- it's a sunk cost. They knew that Cano would be a free agent in 2013 when they extended Ethier. They are not going to give their prospects away for money.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Marty what are you basing this on? This notion is insane. They have already budgeted for Ethier's contract -- it's a sunk cost. They knew that Cano would be a free agent in 2013 when they extended Ethier. They are not going to give their prospects away for money.

I've heard both arguments. The Sox would be crazy to pay for a prospect and the Dodgers (or Pirates) aren't going to give prospects up for money. What IS crazy is paying a 4th OF'er like Ethier $72M.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
I've heard both arguments. The Sox would be crazy to pay for a prospect and the Dodgers (or Pirates) aren't going to give prospects up for money. What IS crazy is paying a 4th OF'er like Ethier $72M.

Because paying $30M for a B prospect is a horrible use of resources for the White Sox and the Dodgers are one of the richest franchises in baseball and don't need to get rid of young talent to free up cash. Your proposed move makes no sense for either side.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)

Thing is, they are just paying 4 outfielders X amount of dollars. With the Dodgers health concerns and the general lack of care they've shown for adding payroll, I doubt they mind paying 4 outfielders $500 million

Let's not forget, the Dodgers had to start Juan Pierre for an extended period of time not too long ago....which, inexplicably, made him look more attractive to the White Sox.

And they were paying Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez and Juan Pierre for doing nothing, too.

The only holes they have in their line-up are essentially 3B (Uribe's been pretty decent this year) when Hanley Ramirez hasn't played there and 2B, where Skip Schumacher's serviceable but certainly not a star or maybe an everyday player on a lost of playoff rosters.

At one point, Dee Gordon looked like he might be a starter, but that bus has already left the station.

Actually, Gordon's the type of player the White Sox should/could look at as a replacement for Ramirez...probably he won't hit enough to field the position, but he could bring some needed speed and he's a capable defender.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Let's not forget, the Dodgers had to start Juan Pierre for an extended period of time not too long ago....which, inexplicably, made him look more attractive to the White Sox.

And they were paying Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez and Juan Pierre for doing nothing, too.

The only holes they have in their line-up are essentially 3B (Uribe's been pretty decent this year) when Hanley Ramirez hasn't played there and 2B, where Skip Schumacher's serviceable but certainly not a star or maybe an everyday player on a lost of playoff rosters.

At one point, Dee Gordon looked like he might be a starter, but that bus has already left the station.

Actually, Gordon's the type of player the White Sox should/could look at as a replacement for Ramirez...probably he won't hit enough to field the position, but he could bring some needed speed and he's a capable defender.

John Danks for Ethier and cash makes a bunch of sense, then.