Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
Granderson is from here guys. I don't think him being in town means anything.

Similar comments were made when Dwyane Wade was a free agent. He was in Chicago the week before he, Dinosaur, and LeFlop all signed with the Cheat. Wade is also from Chicago.

Edited by ChiSoxFan05

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 02:44 AM)
I saw that too. I'm hoping it's a sign because he's so much better than Alejandro, but I don't know. To those downgrading him, imagine our 2012 lineup with Abreu and Grandy in it. A gigantic improvement.

Amen. Free agency is one, big risk nowadays (see Dunn, Pujols, etc.) but the Sox are due for a lucky break and actually sign somebody who will be good. It's not my money and the Sox aren't going to reduce prices anytime soon, anyway, so I say, spend, spend spend and bring Grandy aboard. Why not? He's a huge upgrade from DeAza as you said!If he stinks, well shucks. But everything's a risk. We just signed a guy for six years who has never played in the USA. He could suck for all we know or he could be amazing. This concern about money in all the threads baffles me. Why do I care if Jerry gives his offspring more money in his will? Spend it, baby.

Whomever signs Ellsbury at some point will surely regret it (if he gets 6-10 years at 15 million a year, cmon, he'll be a bust sooner or later; maybe sooner if he gets hurt). McCann and his 15 million a year also will be ridiculous. So pay Grandy between 12 and 15 and be done with it til the next guy comes along. Until the Sox tell me they will reduce parking to 5 bucks and hot dogs to 2.50 or 3 bucks and a beer to 3 bucks, I don't give a flip about the finances of the chairman and his group. SPEND!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
Granderson is from here guys. I don't think him being in town means anything.

I knew it would spark rumors as soon as I saw him at the game. He's from here, does lots of charity work, has business interests here (50/50 among them), and it's the offseason. Why wouldn't he be in Chicago right now?

For people clamoring over Granderson, just remember Granderson is coming off of a wrist injury which will likely zap him of his power.

In 2012 when he was healthy, his OBP dropped down to .319. In 2011, and 2012 he had a negative DRS.

So, were going to pay Granderson, I assume to be, over 10M a year to play bad defense, not get on base, and not hit for power?

Pass.

Edited by woods of ypres

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 01:04 AM)
Amen. Free agency is one, big risk nowadays (see Dunn, Pujols, etc.) but the Sox are due for a lucky break and actually sign somebody who will be good. It's not my money and the Sox aren't going to reduce prices anytime soon, anyway, so I say, spend, spend spend and bring Grandy aboard. Why not? He's a huge upgrade from DeAza as you said!If he stinks, well shucks. But everything's a risk. We just signed a guy for six years who has never played in the USA. He could suck for all we know or he could be amazing. This concern about money in all the threads baffles me. Why do I care if Jerry gives his offspring more money in his will? Spend it, baby.

Whomever signs Ellsbury at some point will surely regret it (if he gets 6-10 years at 15 million a year, cmon, he'll be a bust sooner or later; maybe sooner if he gets hurt). McCann and his 15 million a year also will be ridiculous. So pay Grandy between 12 and 15 and be done with it til the next guy comes along. Until the Sox tell me they will reduce parking to 5 bucks and hot dogs to 2.50 or 3 bucks and a beer to 3 bucks, I don't give a flip about the finances of the chairman and his group. SPEND!

Hmm, you hate Dunn but want Grandy? They're the same type of players offensively, low average, high production, walks a lot, and Ks a lot....I for one am fine with it as long as they're producing but you on the other hand....

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 05:27 AM)
Hmm, you hate Dunn but want Grandy? They're the same type of players offensively, low average, high production, walks a lot, and Ks a lot....I for one am fine with it as long as they're producing but you on the other hand....

Admittedly, I 'm just sick of Dunn, making me say, "next." If Grandy stinks I'll probably hate him as well. I don't see the Sox paying 20 million a year for Ellsbury who would be ideal because of his Rowand-like grinderism, and I think DeAza and Viciedo played so absent-mindedly last year they should move on as well. Though I guess I mentally could give Viciedo one more chance.

It seemed like DeAza and Viciedo took a huge step backward last year and I don't quite understand why. Maybe all these guys just had an off year and next year they will click (including Lexi, Flowers, Beckham). If we stand pat, that will be the only hope. I can't imagine people spending money for season tix if our only real addition is Abreu to go with A. Garcia.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 01:45 AM)
Admittedly, I 'm just sick of Dunn, making me say, "next." If Grandy stinks I'll probably hate him as well. I don't see the Sox paying 20 million a year for Ellsbury who would be ideal because of his Rowand-like grinderism, and I think DeAza and Viciedo played so absent-mindedly last year they should move on as well. Though I guess I mentally could give Viciedo one more chance.

It seemed like DeAza and Viciedo took a huge step backward last year and I don't quite understand why. Maybe all these guys just had an off year and next year they will click (including Lexi, Flowers, Beckham). If we stand pat, that will be the only hope. I can't imagine people spending money for season tix if our only real addition is Abreu to go with A. Garcia.

That makes little sense to me from your standpoint. Granderson struck out 195 times last year with a batting average just 14 points higher while putting up a lower obp. You suggested in the past that Dunn wasn't worth the 15M a year but are now advising they pay Grandy 15M.

Like I said, I'm indifferent as long as he produces, but from your standpoint it makes zero sense to me.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 05:57 AM)
That makes little sense to me from your standpoint. Granderson struck out 195 times last year with a batting average just 14 points higher while putting up a lower obp. You suggested in the past that Dunn wasn't worth the 15M a year but are now advising they pay Grandy 15M.

Like I said, I'm indifferent as long as he produces, but from your standpoint it makes zero sense to me.

You are probalby right. That's way too many Ks. If he's finished I'm sure Hahn won't overpay.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 01:57 AM)

Well, to be fair, Granderson is almost infinitely more valuable than Dunn is, considering Grandy plays defense, and can sometimes play it really well, and has solid speed and can run the bases. It's only standing in the batters box in which you could make an argument for Dunn.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 01:17 AM)
For people clamoring over Granderson, just remember Granderson is coming off of a wrist injury which will likely zap him of his power.

In 2012 when he was healthy, his OBP dropped down to .319. In 2011, and 2012 he had a negative DRS.

So, were going to pay Granderson, I assume to be, over 10M a year to play bad defense, not get on base, and not hit for power?

Pass.

I wouldn't say his defense is bad, because quite frankly, I have no idea what to think of his defense based on advanced metrics. We'd pretty much have to ask a Yankees fan who watched him play day in and day out because the data is all over the place both good and bad.

Additionally, I wonder what your definition of "no power" is. Because Granderson recently hit 40+ HR in back to back years. I wouldn't expect him to ever hit that number again, but I think 20 HR is a reasonable benchmark in a full season and I wouldn't consider that "no power"/

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 11:17 PM)

Pass.

Is the injury permanent?

#1) Granderson, when fully healthy and producing well, is a better player than De Aza. When he's at the point he's been the past 2-3 years, he's a marginal upgrade that will cost $10-14 mill a year more than De Aza.

#2) His game is exactly like Dunn's. People who act like they are upset with Dunn because he's a DH or 1B are crazy. People are upset with Dunn because he's an all or nothing offensive player. Granderson has a bit of speed, but that doesn't do any good when he's striking out 170+ times.

#3) I have strong, strong doubts as to whether or not the Sox will actually be involved.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
#1) Granderson, when fully healthy and producing well, is a better player than De Aza. When he's at the point he's been the past 2-3 years, he's a marginal upgrade that will cost $10-14 mill a year more than De Aza.

#2) His game is exactly like Dunn's. People who act like they are upset with Dunn because he's a DH or 1B are crazy. People are upset with Dunn because he's an all or nothing offensive player. Granderson has a bit of speed, but that doesn't do any good when he's striking out 170+ times.

#3) I have strong, strong doubts as to whether or not the Sox will actually be involved.

It's also sounding more and more like he will receive a qualifying offer costing the signing team a pick.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
It's also sounding more and more like he will receive a qualifying offer costing the signing team a pick.

That makes it even less likely that the Sox will sign him, even if they "only" have to give up a 2nd round pick. Also, the idea that he'll sign for 2 years is a bit of a pipedream at this point. You're looking at 3 years minimum right now and probably $15 million per.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
That makes it even less likely that the Sox will sign him, even if they "only" have to give up a 2nd round pick. Also, the idea that he'll sign for 2 years is a bit of a pipedream at this point. You're looking at 3 years minimum right now and probably $15 million per.

Ya, as much as I wouldn't mind the signing, if he gets a QO I probably wouldn't do it. This years draft is supposed to be stacked and with how high the Sox are picking there's a good chance they can get 2 damn good players out of it.

I used the word probably because I would still have to think about. I guess it depends on what Hahn thinks of the team, and it this point I really have no idea.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
Ya, as much as I wouldn't mind the signing, if he gets a QO I probably wouldn't do it. This years draft is supposed to be stacked and with how high the Sox are picking there's a good chance they can get 2 damn good players out of it.

I used the word probably because I would still have to think about. I guess it depends on what Hahn thinks of the team, and it this point I really have no idea.

At this point, the team is not very good. It would take a ton of creativity to get this team to a competitive state

Edited by witesoxfan

I'd give him 3 years and $30 million if he is not given a QO. I don't think that will get him, so I don't think I'd end up signing him.

Not only is 2 years going to be too few in all likelihood, it seems contrary to our philosophy, which is only investing in players that are likely to be long-term contributors. He can't be a long-term contributor for two years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
At this point, the team is not very good. It would take a ton of creativity to get this team to a competitive state

After seeing that they lost more than half(55) their games by 2 runs or less, and over a third(36) of them by 1 run I kinda convinced myself that they're closer than people think. If they make the right moves offensively I think this can be cleaned up sooner rather than later.

That's all probably just wishful thinking/homerism on my part.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
After seeing that they lost more than half(55) their games by 2 runs or less, and over a third(36) of them by 1 run I kinda convinced myself that they're closer than people think. If they make the right moves offensively I think this can be cleaned up sooner rather than later.

That's all probably just wishful thinking/homerism on my part.

Bad teams are lose games - that's why they're bad teams. More telling is the 7-21 record in blowouts. This team needs a lot of work before they can become competitive.

Beyond that, they really weren't unexpectedly bad in 1 run games. They went 24-36. Even if you reverse those and say that they get really lucky, instead of really unlucky, they are 36-24 and win 75 games. Is that a team you believe is close to winning? More likely would be that they'd finish near .500 in 1 run games and that their record in those is closer to 30-30...do you believe they are close to being competitive at 69 wins?

Right now, they are mediocre to weak offensively at C, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, and DH. Some of those could improve, but counting on any sort of vast improvement is asking for too much.

This team could be competitive. Counting on it and making moves as if it was competitive last year is wrong. Granderson is not a guy the Sox should have a lot of interest in.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
Bad teams are lose games - that's why they're bad teams. More telling is the 7-21 record in blowouts. This team needs a lot of work before they can become competitive.

Beyond that, they really weren't unexpectedly bad in 1 run games. They went 24-36. Even if you reverse those and say that they get really lucky, instead of really unlucky, they are 36-24 and win 75 games. Is that a team you believe is close to winning? More likely would be that they'd finish near .500 in 1 run games and that their record in those is closer to 30-30...do you believe they are close to being competitive at 69 wins?

Right now, they are mediocre to weak offensively at C, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, and DH. Some of those could improve, but counting on any sort of vast improvement is asking for too much.

This team could be competitive. Counting on it and making moves as if it was competitive last year is wrong. Granderson is not a guy the Sox should have a lot of interest in.

And even scarier that your "certainty" in those projections is at 1B, which might end up being the most uncertain position of all in terms of knowing what to expect from a rookie who has never set foot on a diamond in a major league uniform.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
And even scarier that your "certainty" in those projections is at 1B, which might end up being the most uncertain position of all in terms of knowing what to expect from a rookie who has never set foot on a diamond in a major league uniform.

Yeah, it's just a projection. That coudl easily be a weakness too.

After reading about Grandy and DeAza on here, maybe the solution is to send DeAza to ADD classes. It seems like he loses focus. He does have a lot of 2-for-5 type games. If somebody could get him to pull his head out, maybe he'd draw more walks and not be a huge liability on the basepaths and somewhat inconsistent center fielder as well.

No doubt he sometimes has some pop in his bat. He's just a looney in so many areas. Maybe he needs Jerry to have a talk with him in spring training about how he's expected to do better.