Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I'm not even sure I'm on board with giving up the 2nd rounder to get McCann. Wait a year, hopefully the team will earn something worse than a top 10 pick, and then sign a couple free agents next offseason.

If you give up that 2nd round pick to sign somebody now, it's because you're expecting to make the playoffs in 2014 and that doesn't seem terribly realistic.

Wait, so you'd rather give up a mid-first rounder in 2015 than a 2nd rounder in 2014?

If you look at it this way...if this team improves somewhat in their focus and defense n ext year, and Abreu is solid, they're probably not in the top 10 picks. If that happens...signing a FA costs the first round pick the next year. Wouldn't that make us better off signing guys this year since we could still go over-slot later in the draft and we would not lose a first-rounder in the process?

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are they planning to spend the money on international free agents if there's a clear cap?

Solely on Cuban players (Abreu)? Another Cuban? Japanese or Korean?

It's a bit misleading to act like we're suddenly going to be targeting the likes of Tanaka...I guess it just means we're actually going to start spending the maximum on Dominican players for a change (and we've already done that this year).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
How are they planning to spend the money on international free agents if there's a clear cap?

It's a bit misleading to act like we're suddenly going to be targeting the likes of Tanaka...I guess it just means we're actually going to start spending the maximum on Dominican players for a change (and we've already done that this year).

The terrible record of the Sox means they have a very large pool of money to spend on international signings this year, something >$10 million IIRC

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
The terrible record of the Sox means they have a very large pool of money to spend on international signings this year, something >$10 million IIRC

It's probably closer to 5 million. Last year's top 5:

1. Astros $4,943,700

2. Cubs $4,557,200

3. Rockies $4,213,800

4. Twins $3,908,600

5. Indians $3,636,900

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)

The Sox will spend close to $5 million on International Bonus Pool of players and around $10 million on the draft. That's about $15 million of the budget right there. Say the Sox are budgeted at a payroll of about $105 million for opening day. I take this to mean that they would then only spend close to $90 million on the actual roster. That is fine with me and something I and many others have advocated for a long long time on this board. Being bad gives you the opportunity to spend more but it's still the team's money and they will still operate on a budget.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
The Sox will spend close to $5 million on International Bonus Pool of players and around $10 million on the draft. That's about $15 million of the budget right there. Say the Sox are budgeted at a payroll of about $105 million for opening day. I take this to mean that they would then only spend close to $90 million on the actual roster. That is fine with me and something I and many others have advocated for a long long time on this board. Being bad gives you the opportunity to spend more but it's still the team's money and they will still operate on a budget.

Worth noting is that like $17 mill of that is on Abreu this year. They've already spent a significant chunk

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Worth noting is that like $17 mill of that is on Abreu this year. They've already spent a significant chunk

Using B-R's numbers and counting Abreu at $17 million, I get that they're at about $77 million committed before minimum-salary guys. Another $15 million in draft and international spending on top of that brings them to $92 million, and there will be a few million more spent filling up the roster with the rookies. That still is a helluva lot less than was spent last year if you consider the draft pools in both years.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
It's probably closer to 5 million. Last year's top 5:

1. Astros $4,943,700

2. Cubs $4,557,200

3. Rockies $4,213,800

4. Twins $3,908,600

5. Indians $3,636,900

Which you can blow through, at last count the Cubs were at $7.9M for the year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/cubs...-next-week.html

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)

The way I kind of look at is the $10 million bonus Abreu is getting is roughly equivalent to the money saved by moving Thornton, Rios and Peavy last year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
The way I kind of look at is the $10 million bonus Abreu is getting is roughly equivalent to the money saved by moving Thornton, Rios and Peavy last year.

I look at it as paying for future services up front, basically like pre-paying for a loan. If you know you are going to have the funds today, you may as well spend them on something that will help you in the future.

I really do feel like Hahn is going to do really good and big things with this team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
I look at it as paying for future services up front, basically like pre-paying for a loan. If you know you are going to have the funds today, you may as well spend them on something that will help you in the future.

I really do feel like Hahn is going to do really good and big things with this team.

Are we 100% sure that $10M bonus and the $15M allotted to draft picks and In'tl. players is included in the Sox player payroll ? Did somone add up what the players salaries were last year and add the draft pick money and in'tl. money spend on Zapata and others to come up with the $118 M the Sox supposedly spent on payroll last year ?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
It's a real shame The Grandy Man was offered a QO today because he sure does seem like a super likable guy....

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/curti...s-ice-potential

From what I understand, he's one of the nicest guys in the sport. Big believer in charity, etc. One of my best friend's used to work at Niketown and helped Curtis with a bunch of Christmas shopping one year. He said he was just the coolest, most humble guy. Made him feel like a peer.

Brian Urlacher was a total asshole, apparently, lol.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)
From what I understand, he's one of the nicest guys in the sport. Big believer in charity, etc. One of my best friend's used to work at Niketown and helped Curtis with a bunch of Christmas shopping one year. He said he was just the coolest, most humble guy. Made him feel like a peer.

Brian Urlacher was a total asshole, apparently, lol.

I've heard a lot about how nice he is, but until that video I guess I didn't realize how fun and playful he was too. If you had no idea who he was when you saw that shoot-the-puck segment you'd have no idea he was an MLB star. Seems extremely down to earth.