Sox to Make Hard Push for Granderson

Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
No team is going to give up a high pick to sign him to a short term deal though. It doesn't make any sense. Some of these guys will end up like Kyle Lohse and Michael Bourn waiting forever to get a deal.

Not saying it makes sense but thats probably what he is hoping for. More security from a team.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have wanted Granderson since when he was a Tiger. Supposedly they had identified some flaw in his swing. Considering they cannot correct the flaws in the swings they do employ, I don't know if that really means anything. I don't think he is coming, but KW usually gets his man. Eventually.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
I'm giving Hahn the benefit of the doubt here -- this would be just too stupid a move to be realistic.

This. You'd think they would have learned by now how much it sucks to have a low average, power or nothing, left-handed hitter, let alone just adding one for the f*** of it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
This. You'd think they would have learned by now how much it sucks to have a low average, power or nothing, left-handed hitter, let alone just adding one for the f*** of it.

Purchased at the beginning of his decline at the cost of a draft pick and to the detriment of their OF defense, assuming they'd "veteran entitlement" him into CF all year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
All things considered, I honestly think I'd rank signing Granderson to a multi-year deal right up there with the Sox signing Erstad. He at least has a lot of talent, but that just seems like a move that would backfire in a big way.

Excellent analogy. Great point.

I think the Sox were more interested when he didn't cost a draft pick. Besides hitting homers, i think they thought of him as a nice veteran influence on the younger players. His "value" was going to be more than his numbers indicate, but with Abreu signing and Curtis getting a QO it doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Edited by Dick Allen

If anything, the loss of a 2nd round draft pick should lower his overall $ value a tad. However, im not sure how signing Granderson to a mega deal fits into Hahn's plan of long term sustainable success? Unless Hahn feels he can get decent prospects back in return through trades, I can't see this going down..

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 05:38 PM)
4 years 70 million with the White Sox?

I may throw up

Yeah, that would be hella lame. I was all for Granderson before he got the QO, but only if he gave us a serious hometown discount (say 3/36). Given that he will cost us a draft pick now and bonus money, there's really no deal that makes sense for us and 4/70 would be an epic fail on Hahn's part.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
I see Bucket is in here...hear any new rumblings? Gotta be some kind of rumors floating around with the GM meetings going on.

"The Sox have discussed Granderson and, while they like the idea of adding him, they do not like the idea of surrendering a 2nd round pick in what is already a weakened system and their pursuit of him is going to be timid at best."

This is what I am going to guess bucket would say. In other words, if you read the news, you know what's going on. Hahn has already basically said that they are done with major free agents and, given the $9+ mill they get in the draft and the $6 or so they get in international spending, they'll currently be right around $102 mill. Add in a couple filler free agents, and that gets to $105-110 pretty quickly. I think they'll check in on Saltalamacchia, but they'll ultimately opt to go in a different direction and Abreu will be the only major free agent signing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Question for all - it has been mentioned that we'll call the BoSox about Victorino.

Would you prefer to sign Granderson for something like 4/$40M or trade something valuable for Victorino?

The questions would be why would Boston want to trade him, and what would it cost to get him? Most likely a lot more than a 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
The questions would be why would Boston want to trade him, and what would it cost to get him? Most likely a lot more than a 2nd round pick.

Victorino's contract is at 2/$26M. I would take him as he is a great clubhouse guy, plays good defense, and gets on base. Not sure why the Red Sox would move him though, at least until they get some replacements in house. I expect that they will sign Choo, but they still need a LF'er to play with Bradley in CF, unless they want the Gomes/Carp/Nava platoon out there.

I just don't know how the two teams match up for a deal. The Red Sox need upgrades at the corner IF positions and C and the Sox don't really have anything to offer there. Their rotation is over filled and they are looking to move pitching, so I just dont see how a deal gets done.