Dodgers vs. Cardinals

knightni

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when are the Cardinals some low-budget darling team? I realize that the Dodgers spend way more than anyone else, but the Cardinals payroll was $115 million. They do a great job developing players, but they aren't exactly the Rays. They had 5 players making more than $10 million.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
Since when are the Cardinals some low-budget darling team? I realize that the Dodgers spend way more than anyone else, but the Cardinals payroll was $115 million. They do a great job developing players, but they aren't exactly the Rays. They had 5 players making more than $10 million.

I hope the Dodgers sweep them. Cardinals fans are insufferable. Any fanbase that describes itself as the best fans in a sport is just awful.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I hope the Dodgers sweep them. Cardinals fans are insufferable. Any fanbase that describes itself as the best fans in a sport is just awful.

The last thing I want to see is going out and spending assloads of money rewarded. Go Cardinals.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
The last thing I want to see is going out and spending assloads of money rewarded. Go Cardinals.

That's kinda how it works. The majority of the playoff teams are the ones that spend the most money. A few years back I actually researched it a little bit but I don't remember the exact numbers.

Without looking it up, I'd guess that most of the WS winners of the past 20 years or so were at least in the top 10 of payroll.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
And most of it goes to retain the players they draft and develop, which is very different than what the Dodgers are involved in.

And $30 million of it goes to pay 2/3 of their outfield, neither of whom were developed by the Cardinals. Like I said earlier, they do a great job of bringing up their own talent, but they are still a pretty big spending team and have been for a while.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
And $30 million of it goes to pay 2/3 of their outfield, neither of whom were developed by the Cardinals. Like I said earlier, they do a great job of bringing up their own talent, but they are still a pretty big spending team and have been for a while.

Looking at the start of the season numbers, they were 11th in total payroll overall, and right about $100 million behind the Dodgers. Between the beginning of 2012 and 2013 the Dodgers added very close to the entire Cardinals payroll number to their annual salary total (105 to 216 million). It really isn't even close to the same thing.

There's so many different Cardinal fans articles going around right now, it's pretty funny. I personally think almost all fan bases are the same. They all have their morons and their reasonable fans, it's just the ones that you encounter that sway your opinion.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
There's so many different Cardinal fans articles going around right now, it's pretty funny. I personally think almost all fan bases are the same. They all have their morons and their reasonable fans, it's just the ones that you encounter that sway your opinion.

I don't necessarily think that's true. I think if you encounter 100 Yankees fans and 100 Mariners fans, the Yankee fans are far likelier to be chock full of douchebags and assholes, but expectations and how fans should act is propagated by the media so much any more that fans have a tendency to act as the stigma dictates they should. Every fan base is going to have dickheads and friendly fans, but there are some that are going to be worse.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
How many Cardinal fans have you actually heard say that?

Agreed. I think the national media promotes this idea much more than Cardinals fans themselves. If you're looking for the self-congratulatory fan base, look no further than Beantown. THEY are insufferable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't necessarily think that's true. I think if you encounter 100 Yankees fans and 100 Mariners fans, the Yankee fans are far likelier to be chock full of douchebags and assholes, but expectations and how fans should act is propagated by the media so much any more that fans have a tendency to act as the stigma dictates they should. Every fan base is going to have dickheads and friendly fans, but there are some that are going to be worse.

Around 2000-2002, those Mariners fans were pretty hard to deal with.

Maybe have Brett Boone as their poster child didn't help matters, but Ichiro was a lot easier to respect when he came along.

I guess for the longest time now, Cardinals' fans have been known as the "best" or most loyal...a lot of it is about tradition and their rich, long history of success, very consistent and strong attendance, the fact that St. Louis is a "small market" and yet the team has done so well consistently (10/14 playoff appearances) for so long again now, McGwire's home run streaks/Big Mac Land....then Pujols and now this generation of players being led by all their young pitching.

In the 1980's and early 90's, when I was a huge Cardinals' fan, there was no more player beloved in St. Louis than Willie McGee...Cardinals' fans always had an appreciation for their role players as well, like a Jose Oquendo or Joe McEwing type who got the most out of their natural ability. Another example of a beloved player would be Jim Edmonds or Tom Herr.

It's just a totally different feeling and atmosphere there...it's kind of a blend of both Chicagos, where the fans really do appreciate baseball but they're also known for it being a "family" type of ballpark to go to. You very rarely have incidents there, despite the long run of the Busch family running the franchise and Budweiser being consumed all around the park.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
It also doesn't help when the PA announcer at Busch Stadium refers to the Cardinals having the best fans in baseball at least twice every game I have been too. I have been to my fair share of White Sox games and I don't hear our announcer saying that before the game.

They post it on the Jumbotron!