Dodgers vs. Cardinals

knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1609247...oyalty-rankings

Here's one that ranks it Yankees, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals and Braves (not that anyone rates them so highly).

The White Sox have always played second fiddle to the Cubs in the city of Chicago, but they have failed to consistently put fans in the seats even when they're playing well.

The last time the team was in the postseason in 2008, their average attendance was just 30,877, or a little over 75 percent capacity at U.S. Cellular Field.

Their attendance numbers declined to 24,271 last season (24th in baseball), and that was despite the fact the team sat in first place for most of the year.

Unscientific.

Five worst....

5. White Sox

4. Marlins

3. Mariners According to Seattle PI, a study was done that shows the Mariners have lost more fans than any U.S. sports team in the past decade, as attendance has dropped 51.4 percent over the past 10 years.

2. A's

1. Rays

Five best...

5. Red Sox

4. Giants

3. Phillies

2. Cardinals

1. Yankees

unscientific or just opinion? You put the Rays last but what is the population in the area around the stadium compared to other major cities? Same with Oakland. Did you know the Rays are the 6th highest watched team when it comes to local tv viewers? Didnt Houston lose a local ratings battle to a WNBA game this year?

What makes the Yankees the best? Because they so happen to be in the biggest market in the country? They better be selling out their stadium nightly when they have 10 million people a train ride away.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)
unscientific or just opinion? You put the Rays last but what is the population in the area around the stadium compared to other major cities? Same with Oakland. Did you know the Rays are the 6th highest watched team when it comes to local tv viewers? Didnt Houston lose a local ratings battle to a WNBA game this year?

What makes the Yankees the best? Because they so happen to be in the biggest market in the country? They better be selling out their stadium nightly when they have 10 million people a train ride away.

Not mine!!!

From the article.

That's great for the Rays, but in that media market, it's still not generating enough revenue/advertising rates to offset the low attendance. It's why they're going to have to sell off David Price to the highest bidder, in all likelihood.

From my FB status about the Deadspin article

Deadspin's active trolling of the St. Louis fanbase has been kind of funny, in that annoying drunk kind of way. This is a reach though.

Puig's bat flip on a triple was hilarious, but only because he thought it would be a home run, so he looked stupid when it wasn't. That's celebrating before a play is over. Kind of like if I decided to do a somersault after shooting just wide in soccer.

All of those Cardinals plays happened after they actually accomplished something. Rosenthal, Kelly, and Wacha had either just won games or gotten out of huge jams (in Wacha's case, the bases were loaded, and Puig was batting). Those strikeouts are an achievement. If Puig had celebrated on base after that triple, no way any of this is an issue - just like Carpenter's first hit in the series (a triple, ironically) wasn't called into question by anyone.

Besides, the Cards don't really look at it as a big deal. If you see the whole Wainwright quote, he says, "I didn't see it. I saw Adrian doing some Mickey Mouse stuff on third base, but I didn't see what Yasiel did. Those guys are fired up. This is playoff baseball, they want it over there." It's obviously not meant as a sleight, and if the allegations that Gonzalez was yelling at him while he pitched are true, then he has a right to say that."

Beltran talking about Puig is probably more from a veteran to a rookie. That ball was hit well enough that if he had been sprinting off the line he could have at least made a run at an inside the park homer. If not, he'd have gone into third standing up. Puig's early celebrating could have cost them.

I don't have problems with celebrating, and I'm sure the Cards don't either. But if you ask an athlete who just lost about a player on the other team's celebration, do you think you're going to get an answer that isn't bitter or mad? Please. Deadspin's soaking up pageviews with the Cardinals hate, but for people to spread the vitriol around without actually looking at the facts is trash.

LOL

I think the only response is for Wainwright to get pegged next time he pitches. It's the big bad NL where that happens to pitchers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)

Here's one that ranks it Yankees, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals and Braves (not that anyone rates them so highly).

The White Sox have always played second fiddle to the Cubs in the city of Chicago, but they have failed to consistently put fans in the seats even when they're playing well.

The last time the team was in the postseason in 2008, their average attendance was just 30,877, or a little over 75 percent capacity at U.S. Cellular Field.

Their attendance numbers declined to 24,271 last season (24th in baseball), and that was despite the fact the team sat in first place for most of the year.

Unscientific.

Five worst....

5. White Sox

4. Marlins

3. Mariners According to Seattle PI, a study was done that shows the Mariners have lost more fans than any U.S. sports team in the past decade, as attendance has dropped 51.4 percent over the past 10 years.

2. A's

1. Rays

Five best...

5. Red Sox

4. Giants

3. Phillies

2. Cardinals

1. Yankees

The Braves who had trouble selling out playoffs games as one of the best fan bases? lol. And I would put the Indians ahead of the Sox for worst fan bases.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)

Unscientific.

Five worst....

5. White Sox

4. Marlins

2. A's

1. Rays

Five best...

5. Red Sox

4. Giants

3. Phillies

2. Cardinals

1. Yankees

Mariners less loyal than the Marlins...now that's funny.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
I really wish you would stop posting entire articles. You single-handedly kill my interest in reading multiple threads doing that. Just post the link like everyone else.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Make sure to get upset with knightni too, lol.

He posted a full article about Abreu, so fine, no more articles ever again if it will make you happier.

I post the entire article because not everyone can travel all over the internet at their places of employment.

This way it can be read in one place. Here.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
I post the entire article because not everyone can travel all over the internet at their places of employment.

This way it can be read in one place. Here.

I appreciate it. It's nice to be able to just read it while in the thread rather than having to wait for a new tab to load. Especially on my slow work computer that I can't update because it's running Windows Server and I have no authority to change anything.

If I don't want to read it, I just scroll past it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
LOL.

His overall hitting stats for both (combined) playoff series or this one even are better than 80-90% of Cardinals' players, though.

Well hey, lets award Puig the "This guy has good combined numbers in both playoffs but is only hitting .150 in this current playoff" trophy right now! He can put it between to his "The Next Roberto Clemente Award" and his "Caulfields BFF" trophy on his mantle.

I am sure the Cardinals would take the crappy numbers and late inning wins over good (combined) numbers and absurd strikeouts and late inning fail.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
LOL.

His overall hitting stats for both (combined) playoff series or this one even are better than 80-90% of Cardinals' players, though.

But he's also had more inside the park home runs taken away from him and more back breaking double plays hit into as well, so

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
But he's also had more inside the park home runs taken away from him and more back breaking double plays hit into as well, so

That dp yesterday by Puig was just straight brutal. That was more on Eithier but still.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
That dp yesterday by Puig was just straight brutal. That was more on Eithier but still.

He swung at the first pitch he saw. That was straight out of the Cuban handbook. Eithier froze, but he didnt exactly have anywhere to go

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
He should have ran through Carpenter. If I recall, he had a 2-0 count.

You are right. I walked back into the room and saw him swing last night, I thought it was his first pitch

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
It consists of one line

"Swing at anything close"

You realize we have two Cuban players on the White Sox...their weaknesses are pretty much the same, yes? Other than a healthy Miguel Cabrera or Victor Martinez, how many Latin players have what you would consider a great approach at the plate?

And what are your recommendations for improving their performance/s?

If you can change both of them, as well as DeAza, maybe you should be on the White Sox coaching staff, right?

We are talking about a 22 year old rookie, are we not? Who has never played in the MLB playoffs before?

If I remember correctly, many superstars like Bonds and Frank Thomas and A-Rod have struggled mightily in the playoffs (in their entire 20's) and were WAY under anything Puig has accomplished already.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
You realize we have two Cuban players on the White Sox...their weaknesses are pretty much the same, yes? Other than a healthy Miguel Cabrera or Victor Martinez, how many Latin players have what you would consider a great approach at the plate?

And what are your recommendations for improving their performance/s?

If you can change both of them, as well as DeAza, maybe you should be on the White Sox coaching staff, right?

We are talking about a 22 year old rookie, are we not? Who has never played in the MLB playoffs before?

If I remember correctly, many superstars like Bonds and Frank Thomas and A-Rod have struggled mightily in the playoffs (in their entire 20's) and were WAY under anything Puig has accomplished already.

Absolutely. That is why I said it.

Why must I recommend anything? What does it matter? How about I recommend Puig see a few pitches? There, I said it. All is better now.

Puig has accomplished WAY more than Bonds and Frank and ARod? Remember when you said we shouldnt judge him based on 2 games? Now it is ok to judge him on the previous series consisting of 4 games, only because he did so well in that series?

LMAO, you will jump through any hoop to defend your precious, Golem.

#1, when Alex Rodriguez was 20 years old, he hit .358/.414/.631/1.045 with 36 HR and 54 2B.

#2, Bonds and Thomas both attended college, so their ability to play at Puig's age was reduced drastically by that. Still, in Thomas's first 941 PAs, he put up .321/.453/.547/1.000 with 39 HR, 42 2B, 5 3B, 182 BB, and 166 K. Bonds did struggle to an extent early in his career, so you're right there. Of course, Ken Griffey Jr put up .284/.350/.454/.805 at the ages of 19 and 20 and he was playing gold glove defense too.

#3, what does what those guys did or did not do have anything to do with Puig? Seriously, Yoenis Cespedes looked great last year too and struggled this year. Maybe we should wait more than 432 PAs before we start comparing Puig to 3 of the greatest hitters of all time (regardless of any foreign substances entering their body).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
#1, when Alex Rodriguez was 20 years old, he hit .358/.414/.631/1.045 with 36 HR and 54 2B.

#2, Bonds and Thomas both attended college, so their ability to play at Puig's age was reduced drastically by that. Still, in Thomas's first 941 PAs, he put up .321/.453/.547/1.000 with 39 HR, 42 2B, 5 3B, 182 BB, and 166 K. Bonds did struggle to an extent early in his career, so you're right there. Of course, Ken Griffey Jr put up .284/.350/.454/.805 at the ages of 19 and 20 and he was playing gold glove defense too.

#3, what does what those guys did or did not do have anything to do with Puig? Seriously, Yoenis Cespedes looked great last year too and struggled this year. Maybe we should wait more than 432 PAs before we start comparing Puig to 3 of the greatest hitters of all time (regardless of any foreign substances entering their body).

I WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFF PERFORMANCE!!!!

ONCE AGAIN, NOT SAYING HE'S BETTER THAN THOSE PLAYERS....HAYYYS

Edited by caulfield12