Dodgers vs. Cardinals

knightni

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Well, the 2006 World Series was terrible, so hopefully a Tigers-Cardinals series this year would be better.

Anybody but the Red Sox.

I'd much prefer the BoSox to the Tigers. The Tigers just need to blow it one or two more times before their window is pretty much closed

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 13, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
I'd prefer the BoSox as well, just because of Peavy, but...Idk how much money this Illitch(Tigers owner) fellow has but is it possible if the Tigers don't win it this year he opens the wallet even wider next year?

I'd imagine that happens either way -- and that's a good thing because it will further f*** them in the medium-term

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
Lol Puig! That was amazing. Biggest bat flip ever.

It is amazing that he still got a triple out of that. I would imagine if he wasn't posing and watching the ball after contact, and hustling out of the box that he could have gotten an inside the park homer. He was MOVING

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
It is amazing that he still got a triple out of that. I would imagine if he wasn't posing and watching the ball after contact, and hustling out of the box that he could have gotten an inside the park homer. He was MOVING

He would have had it easy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)

Therein lies the problem with the White Sox.

There's a malaise. Except for Sale, there's no player you can ever put together with "amazing" and the same sentence except when

DeAza, Ramirez or Viciedo do something amazingly bone-headed, or one of Ventura's managerial moves.

Or Dunn/Flowers/Konerko etc., looked amazingly inept at the plate.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)

There's a malaise. Except for Sale, there's no player you can ever put together with "amazing" and the same sentence except when

DeAza, Ramirez or Viciedo do something amazingly bone-headed, or one of Ventura's managerial moves.

Amazingly inept at the plate kind of like 0/11 with 7 k's(5 in a row) before that triple?

Amazingly boneheaded like staring at a ball and posing when you think the ball is out of the park?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)

So if the White Sox had signed Yasiel Puig, all of their problems would have been solved. Is that what you're saying? Because if it is, think about what you're saying, say it out loud to yourself, and then come back and post again. You are not likely to say the same thing because of how absurd it is.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 05:40 AM)
Amazingly inept at the plate kind of like 0/11 with 7 k's(5 in a row) before that triple?

Amazingly boneheaded like staring at a ball and posing when you think the ball is out of the park?

Premature evaluation.

Wait until the entire series is over.

You're really going to use a two game stretch to make some kind of judgment?

Nobody on the White Sox could have hit the ball 355 feet to RF in that fashion except for Viciedo and Carlos Quentin when he was hitting like a monster/machine and maybe Beckham his first 2-3 months.

Say what you want about his posing, but it inspired the team and stadium, didn't it?

He has a 788 OPS for the entire set of playoff games. It's not like it has been a complete disaster.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_...louis-cardinals

Great storyline now. Who wins? Puig or Beltran? Something's got to give.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Premature evaluation.Wait until the entire series is over.

You're really going to use a two game stretch to make some kind of judgment?

Nobody on the White Sox could have hit the ball 355 feet to RF in that fashion except for Viciedo and Carlos Quentin when he was hitting like a monster/machine and maybe Beckham his first 2-3 months.

Say what you want about his posing, but it inspired the team and stadium, didn't it?

He has a 788 OPS for the entire set of playoff games. It's not like it has been a complete disaster.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_...louis-cardinals

Great storyline now. Who wins? Puig or Beltran? Something's got to give.

No, a premature evaluation is stating that Puig is the best rightfielder since Clemente after a months worth of games.

You can keep comparing him to white sox players to boost up his value in your eyes, but it doesnt change the fact that he is spinning himself into the ground in the playoffs swinging at everything he sees.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
You know what would have been more inspiring? An inside the park home run in the playoffs

Or...for the Dodgers to fire Mattingly when/if they lose this playoff series.

Let's see what happens when they try to bring in a disciplinarian to reign in Puig.

Heck, the White Sox spent the entire season making boneheaded plays across the board and nobody did anything about it. It never changed.

At least the Dodgers have TALKED about trying to control Yasiel.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
No, a premature evaluation is stating that Puig is the best rightfielder since Clemente after a months worth of games.

You can keep comparing him to white sox players to boost up his value in your eyes, but it doesnt change the fact that he is spinning himself into the ground in the playoffs swinging at everything he sees.

Best raw tools...sure, I wouldn't disagree with that. Maybe to say someone is the best or they have the ability to be the best...well, those are two different things.

He's pressing. Without Ramirez in the line-up, there was a lot more pressure on him and Adrian.

It's his first time in the playoffs. Let's not forget, a year ago he was in the Cuban League.

People are expecting a lot for a rookie who has never played 150 games in a season in his life.

Last year, he played 23 games total in the US.

It's hard to sustain that style of play and level of energy over a long, grueling baseball season. And the whole Dodgers' team played September as if they were bored and waiting for the playoffs to begin.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
So do the Dodgers go with Nolasco tonight or Kershaw on short rest again?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...y#axzz2hni3Fwb2

I think you'll see Greinke on 3 days' rest and then Kershaw following him for the probable series-shifting Game 5.

Bill Shaikin, latimes.com

For the true baseball fan, Cuba is a mecca. There are no giant video screens with animated hands demanding that you clap. There are no overcaffeinated and overamplified cheerleaders pressuring you to make some noise.

In Cuba, there is no artificial passion. The excitement comes from within the hearts of the fans, and from the joy of the players.

That is the essence of watching Yasiel Puig, and the Dodgers are more than happy to put up with the occasional culture clash. He plays in a way few others can, celebrates in a way few others do, ignites this city in a way few others have.

America could have enjoyed all this in the All-Star game. America passed, in favor of a guy from the Atlanta Braves.

What America missed could be seen in one play on Monday, in the Dodgers' 3-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series. Puig hit a drive deep to right field, so deep he assumed the ball would clear the fence.

Puig flipped his bat, and threw his arms high to celebrate the home run. Alas, the ball hit the wall, and Puig charged around the bases and into third base, with a stand-up triple. He put his hands together in applause even before he hit the base, then thrust his arms skyward after he did.

He ran so fast that Dodgers co-owner Mark Walter, sitting in the box adjacent to the home dugout, seriously thought Puig might get an inside-the-park home run — after Puig had stopped to admire the flight of what he thought would be an outside-the-park home run.

Let us not lose sight of the primary point. Puig's triple was his first hit of the NLCS. He had no hits in 10 at-bats in the first two games of the series, both losses. He had two hits in three at-bats on Monday, in the Dodgers' first victory.

His talent is so extraordinary that the Dodgers can marvel at any facet of it on any given night. On this one, the box score showed that Puig and A.J. Ellis each tripled, even though Puig hit the pause button before running.

"He got his triple easy," Ellis said. "I started running when I hit the ball, and I barely made it."

But the play sparked another chapter in the running debate about whether Puig simply plays with flair, or whether his actions disrespect the other team.

Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, an eight-time All-Star, went with the latter take.

"As a player, I think he doesn't know," Beltran said. "I think he still thinks he's playing somewhere else. He has a lot of passion, no doubt about that, a lot of talent.

"I think with time he will learn that sometimes you have to be a little more calm, not only with not showing up the other team, but with the umpires, and the way he plays the game."

Don Mattingly, the Dodgers' manager, sighed at the topic. He said he would have preferred that Puig run out the play, at least until the ball actually clears the fence.

"We've been dealing with this all year," Mattingly said. "He's just emotional."

Ellis said he did not believe Puig was showing up the other team. The kid just does not have an off switch for his energy, he said.

What, we wondered, would constitute showing up the other team? "Barking at people," Ellis said.

And?

"Pimping a home run," he said.

Wait a second. That is what Puig did, except for the detail about the ball not going out.

"He pimped it a little bit," Ellis conceded, "but then he took off and he got a triple. You've got to play with a little bit of individualism, a little bit of flair. It's good for the game. He didn't show up the other team, in my opinion."

Not that the Dodgers are worried about etiquette at the moment. They are 69-35 when Puig starts, 27-38 when he does not.

Their two best hitters, Puig and Hanley Ramirez, play with flair becoming of the co-owner who flashes a championship smile and five rings. Puig is magic, and this is showtime.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 07:25 AM)
So if the White Sox had signed Yasiel Puig, all of their problems would have been solved. Is that what you're saying? Because if it is, think about what you're saying, say it out loud to yourself, and then come back and post again. You are not likely to say the same thing because of how absurd it is.

He would have started off like Sosa his rookie season, then been traded for this year's version of Jorge/George Bell.

Half their problems would have been solved, though.

Not all.

You'd have Puig, A. Garcia and Viciedo to build your offense around. Dunn's usual numbers.

Still would have to address catcher, but you could live with the following line-up:

DeAza

Ramirez

Puig

McCann

Garcia

Dunn

Viciedo

Gillespie/Keppinger

Beckham

At worst, an average AL line-up. But possibly much better, if everyone stayed healthy.

And it could have been done for under $100 million.

Edited by caulfield12

Frankly, that lineup grosses me out. As much as we want to write Puig and Abreu in for .900+ OPS's next year, they could just as easily fall off the map like Cespedes did this year. McCann is a nice hitter, but he's been injury prone as well.

More likely is that lineup still is in the bottom 5 in runs scored, plus the defense is going to be erratic as well.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take Puig. I'd love him on the White Sox. He's certainly not the end all, be all for the White Sox though.