Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Eminor3rd

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
Real sound reasoning here.

You don't want McCann because he sticks up for his team at any cost and you want Salt-------- because he's the same age AJ was when we signed AJ.

Sticking up for you team at any cost is one thing. Getting indigant at a player about admiring a homerun is pointless.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Gomez showed up everyone on the field and apologized because he knew what he did was wrong. Gomez is also quite the tool himself.

That's exactly the player I want. Everyone around seemed to love AJ and that's the type of stuff he would do.

AJ never did that stuff. He may have talked s***, but he didnt stop a player from crossing homeplate because he celebrated a homerun. AJ was an agitator, not a policeman.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Sticking up for you team at any cost is one thing. Getting indigant at a player about admiring a homerun is pointless.

It may be pointless, but it made me like him more. Then again I am old school. I remember Fisk having the discussion with Dion Sanders.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
AJ never did that stuff. He may have talked s***, but he didnt stop a player from crossing homeplate because he celebrated a homerun. AJ was an agitator, not a policeman.

I don't think you guys actually saw what happened. It had nothing to do with celebration. Gomez was directly confronting the pitcher verbally.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
I don't think you guys actually saw what happened. It had nothing to do with celebration. Gomez was directly confronting the pitcher verbally.

I saw exactly what happened, and I know that Gomez and Maholm had a history. Maholm has beaned Gomez 3 times in 25 at bats, and Gomez in turn is absilutely crushing him to the tune of like .480. It isnt like Gomez just randomly started talking s***.

Regardless, nobody annointed the Braves or McCann as the policeman of the unwritten rules of baseball. You dont want Gomez to talk s***? Dont bean him, and dont let him beat you. Pretty simple.

McCann and AJ are both assholes, that i dont dispute, but not the same way.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
I saw exactly what happened, and I know that Gomez and Maholm had a history. Maholm has beaned Gomez 3 times in 25 at bats, and Gomez in turn is absilutely crushing him to the tune of like .480. It isnt like Gomez just randomly started talking s***.

Regardless, nobody annointed the Braves or McCann as the policeman of the unwritten rules of baseball. You dont want Gomez to talk s***? Dont bean him, and dont let him beat you. Pretty simple.

History or not, you can't scream at the pitcher literally the entire time around the bases and not expect someone to start yelling back. Whether he crossed the plate or not was irrelevant. To me, it was not unlike every other time guys start yelling at one another and the benches clear to nothing happening.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
History or not, you can't scream at the pitcher literally the entire time around the bases and not expect someone to start yelling back. Whether he crossed the plate or not was irrelevant. To me, it was not unlike every other time guys start yelling at one another and the benches clear to nothing happening.

The problem is this isnt the only time this season that McCann acted like that(Jose Fernandez). Whatever, you dont like it, I dont care. I want McCann, asshole or not, I just want that crap to stop.

Its all good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
The problem is this isnt the only time this season that McCann acted like that(Jose Fernandez). Whatever, you dont like it, I dont care. I want McCann, asshole or not, I just want that crap to stop.

Its all good.

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying you're wrong about him. I don't really know. I just don't think he was so far out of line in that Gomez incident. I think the media blew that up in a weird way.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)

This.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Blah, who cares?

Lol what? I'm not judging their history, I'm just saying anyone would have stepped up and said something to Gomez after what Gomez just did. Maybe Gomez was the good guy or maybe not, but the fact that McCann stood up and got in his face isn't damning, IMO. Again, just from watching the clip.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Lol what? I'm not judging their history, I'm just saying anyone would have stepped up and said something to Gomez after what Gomez just did. Maybe Gomez was the good guy or maybe not, but the fact that McCann stood up and got in his face isn't damning, IMO. Again, just from watching the clip.

This sanctifying of baseball has to stop. It's pretentious.

We love to see and enjoy this stuff in other sports. People criticize the NFL for being the "No Fun League," yet in baseball, suddenly we're dealing with a hallowed f***ing institution. There should be more fighting, trash talking, showboating and general wackiness in baseball. Why so serious?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
This sanctifying of baseball has to stop. It's pretentious.

I actually totally agree with this. I just don't think anyone would have put up with what Gomez was doing, in any similar situation. What McCann did in that specific incident, to me, had nothing to do with baseball. It was just him standing up to a guy who was insulting his friends.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
I actually totally agree with this. I just don't think anyone would have put up with what Gomez was doing, in any similar situation. What McCann did in that specific incident, to me, had nothing to do with baseball. It was just him standing up to a guy who was insulting his friends.

What is this, West Side Story? If you don't want Gomez to prance around, then don't let him hit home runs off you. Guarding home plate from a guy who just hit a home run is what Ham Porter would do in the Sandlot. This is MLB, that's ridiculous.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)

I get that. I just think McCann got all asshole showy about it instead of calling for a beaning or just saying something to him. Standing in front of the plate is just as bad as anything.