A week of groceries in pictures

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
That can also only happen so much though. While it may well be possible to replace some mcDonalds employees with automation, you cannot outsource the entire operation.

Automate and replace the rest with low cost guest workers that you get by lobbying congress. Attach a green card carrot, so like if they work at the place for 6 years they get a green card. Wages will go down. That would be the response IMO.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
But the 2 kids are. And whether you like it or not, currently we don't allow the government to decide when people are allowed to reproduce. Until we can do that, saying "it's your own fault" isn't good enough because all you do is keep the cycle going.

I'm open to a discussion about that. Create a voluntary program where you get fixed for X number of dollars. Clean the gene pool a little.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Wonder how much of that is still Americans

I would guess a small percentage. A small anecdotal story; I have been to McDonald's overseas and the customers appeared to all be locals with the exception of me. The menu was also different than a U.S. McDonald's, with a few things the same.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
You do realize how awful the history of the concept "cleaning the gene pool" is, right?

I'm not saying the government should be forcing that onto people, but why not create a voluntary program? You get your tubes tied and stop creating generational government dependents for 10k. I'm sure it would be well worth the cost in the long run.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
I would guess a small percentage. A small anecdotal story; I have been to McDonald's overseas and the customers appeared to all be locals with the exception of me. The menu was also different than a U.S. McDonald's, with a few things the same.

The burger tasted slightly different in Beijing. I can't describe exactly how but it was noticeable that the flavoring was slightly different.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)

I did a big research project on McDonalds in college specifically focusing on their overseas operations. This was 10 years ago so it was not anywhere as big as now. And that was a brilliant move on their part- instead of just buying land and plopping down an American McDonalds, they went over to X country and did a lot of research/study groups into what types of food (vegan, lamb, etc) would fit and then tailored the menu around that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
The burger tasted slightly different in Beijing. I can't describe exactly how but it was noticeable that the flavoring was slightly different.

I didn't have any in Beijing, but I did hit it up in Xi'an and I think Shanghai too. I didn't notice a huge difference but yes, the menu is incredibly different. Even as dated as this photo is, there is still a lot of similarities between when I was there

39185854.shanghaijan05312.JPG

We also ate at KFC 2-3 times too. That one is quite a bit different as well

KFC%20Laminated%20Menu.JPG

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
I did a big research project on McDonalds in college specifically focusing on their overseas operations. This was 10 years ago so it was not anywhere as big as now. And that was a brilliant move on their part- instead of just buying land and plopping down an American McDonalds, they went over to X country and did a lot of research/study groups into what types of food (vegan, lamb, etc) would fit and then tailored the menu around that.

There have been some shows on Travel Channel and things like that. It is interesting, the stuff they do. I remember that the Israeli ones had a lot better food than here - not much different menu, really, but it was big helpings of actual meat. They did have funny marketing: "The Big Texas" and "The Big New York" were the main sandwiches. They said people didn't necessarily go there for the same purposes we do (quick, s*** food) it was more like a decent meal from a different country

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
I wonder what a country like Australia does with such a high minimum wage (around 15 USD)? It's almost like they were the only major economy to not go into recession

I dont know enough about Australian law or economy to answer.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
The issue is that the minimum wage has to be raised. Whether you put little value in a fast food job or not, the people working those jobs fill a role in society and should be compensated with a living wage. At some point, there has to be some corporate responsibility. You can't have it both ways. You can't complain about government assistance while not supporting a raise in wages. This country is filled with people working 60-80 hours a week that still can't make ends meet, while receiving no benefits. This model is unsustainable.

Even $15/hour working 40 hrs a week is only about $31,200/year before taxes. The poverty level for a family of 6 is 31,590. For 5 it's 27,570.

So if you have an employee that's a single parent with 4 or 5 kids, that's really not enough.

But should we really be giving people $15+/hour for something that's typically done by HS kids with a couple of hours of training?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
But should we really be giving people $15+/hour for something that's typically done by HS kids with a couple of hours of training?

Which is why there is never a good way to determine what a "fair" wage is.

$30k for a single human you can live off of. But if that human then decides to have children (multiple) that $30,000 doesnt go as far. But is that the govts job to make laws for? Or is that the humans job to make responsible decisions?

I get laws, I get protecting people. But at some point you have to hold people accountable for their own decisions.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)

FWIW the median age of a fast food worker these days is about 29 years old, and the median wage is less than $9/hr. These aren't HS jobs and haven't been since at least 2002, when the median age was 22 (IIRC).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Which is why there is never a good way to determine what a "fair" wage is.

$30k for a single human you can live off of. But if that human then decides to have children (multiple) that $30,000 doesnt go as far. But is that the govts job to make laws for? Or is that the humans job to make responsible decisions?

I get laws, I get protecting people. But at some point you have to hold people accountable for their own decisions.

On the other hand, it's not like wage labor provided to capitalist firms as the only way to earn a living for an overwhelming majority of people is a historical norm.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
On the other hand, it's not like wage labor provided to capitalist firms as the only way to earn a living for an overwhelming majority of people is a historical norm.

In the past Americans were able to get skilled labor and manufacturing jobs that enabled families to have a decent standard of living. As those jobs dissipate, the disparity between the classes grows. It's unsustainable. We've seen it on the south side.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
In the past Americans were able to get skilled labor and manufacturing jobs that enabled families to have a decent standard of living. As those jobs dissipate, the disparity between the classes grows. It's unsustainable. We've seen it on the south side.

The cost of doing business in the past was considerably less too - no health insurance, workers comp benefits, overtime, annual income increases, etc. Yes, the rich execs got richer, but i'm sure if you looked at the numbers the cost of employing one person today versus 1950 is remarkably different.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
The cost of doing business in the past was considerably less too - no health insurance, workers comp benefits, overtime, annual income increases, etc. Yes, the rich execs got richer, but i'm sure if you looked at the numbers the cost of employing one person today versus 1950 is remarkably different.

Well, the fraction of total revenue in this country's economy going to workers has plummeted substantially over the past few decades. The blue line on this graph is worker pay as a fraction of GDP (Uncertain if that includes total benefits) while the red line is corporate earnings as a share of GDP. (Do note the difference in scales)

corporateprofitsvswages1.png

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
FWIW the median age of a fast food worker these days is about 29 years old, and the median wage is less than $9/hr. These aren't HS jobs and haven't been since at least 2002, when the median age was 22 (IIRC).

I wonder if that's because they are hiring more older workers or if the younger workers are just staying longer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
That can also only happen so much though. While it may well be possible to replace some mcDonalds employees with automation, you cannot outsource the entire operation. Furthermore, eventually the people in the "low cost of labor" country start wanting things like clean air and a living wage as well, problems China is starting to deal with today.

You can get pretty close it seems.

http://www.gizmag.com/hamburger-machine/25159/