A week of groceries in pictures

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
The cost of doing business in the past was considerably less too - no health insurance, workers comp benefits, overtime, annual income increases, etc. Yes, the rich execs got richer, but i'm sure if you looked at the numbers the cost of employing one person today versus 1950 is remarkably different.

If you look at income shares and wealth shares, it's pretty remarkably different, too. But they had health insurance, workers comp, overtime, annual raises etc. back in the 50's. American labor was strongest in the 50's and 60's.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am watching Undercover Boss right now and it made me think of this thread.

A cashier can be smarter, harder working, better person, than the CEO, but due to circumstance just didnt have the opportunities.

In a better world even the cashier would make enough money to give their kids everything they want. The bleeding heart hippy side of me (that you all hate) hopes that I can one day make it happen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
I am watching Undercover Boss right now and it made me think of this thread.

A cashier can be smarter, harder working, better person, than the CEO, but due to circumstance just didnt have the opportunities.

In a better world even the cashier would make enough money to give their kids everything they want. The bleeding heart hippy side of me (that you all hate) hopes that I can one day make it happen.

A friend and I were debating the whole living wage argument this weekend and we basically got down to this issue. What exactly does the bolded mean? What is "everything?" What is "enough?" Individually, we all could easily live on 10k a year - no fancy house, no cell phone, few clothes, etc. You could do it, but obviously it would be a life without luxury (and no kids).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
A friend and I were debating the whole living wage argument this weekend and we basically got down to this issue. What exactly does the bolded mean? What is "everything?" What is "enough?" Individually, we all could easily live on 10k a year - no fancy house, no cell phone, few clothes, etc. You could do it, but obviously it would be a life without luxury (and no kids).

10k? Even I think that's crazy low if you don't have any help:

Monthly amount (assuming 10k is after taxes): ~833 per month.

Rent: 450 (hard to find in Chicago but possible)

Food: 250 (let's say they really scrounge, thats like $8 a day)

Right there you are at $700, and thats with the bare minimum. Now add in clothes, utilities (gas and electric), etc and youre creeping on $830 a month real fast. I honestly don't know how you can say we could live easily off of 10k a year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
10k? Even I think that's crazy low if you don't have any help:

Monthly amount (assuming 10k is after taxes): ~833 per month.

Rent: 450 (hard to find in Chicago but possible)

Food: 250 (let's say they really scrounge, thats like $8 a day)

Right there you are at $700, and thats with the bare minimum. Now add in clothes, utilities (gas and electric), etc and youre creeping on $830 a month real fast. I honestly don't know how you can say we could live easily off of 10k a year.

I meant after tax, but still, raise it a little. You need something for shelter/utilities - say 600/month, you need food (you could get by on rice, beans, veggies, fruit, etc.) pretty easily for $250, probably less. We're talking a single person here, not a family.

The point is, the "alive but not living a life of luxury" amount really isn't that much in the grand scheme. It's all the extra stuff Americans spend their money on that requires better pay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Without debt, a family bringing in 100K a year should feel pretty darned rich.

A family of 5 can survive on about half that. Mine did for years.

I make more now but I've still got a ways to go to hit 100K.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)

Everything is a standard middle class life.

Cell phones, computers, tvs, 3 cars, summer camp, winter vacation, college.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Without debt, a family bringing in 100K a year should feel pretty darned rich.

What you bring in and what you actually keep can be very different things.

...and speaking on this thread, this is actually a very interesting subject.

I know quite a few people that view me as rich, and I'm really not, but it would be impossible to convince them of that. In comparison, it may appear that way, but a lot of the reality behind it is overlooked. First, my wife is a stay at home mom, we have two kids, etc. Outside of my mortgage, I have no debt.

Now, an interesting thing about Facebook, Twitter, and other such social media is it allows us to do is silently observe people. It doesn't take long for me to realize why I'm viewed as rich because I always seem to have money, while they view themselves as poor. All one needs to do is look at their timeline to see where they spend all their money ... which is eating out seemingly EVERY DAY. The last place I ate out at was Buffalo Wild Wings...29$. Meanwhile, I see picture after picture of these "poor" people at Blackhawks games, Bears games, restaurants, etc...

Yes, I'm rich then. Because I don't spend more than I make.

The worst part ... when your success is attributed to luck. Yes, my company pays me what they pay me because I'm lucky. That's what it is.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)

I know quite a few people that view me as rich, and I'm really not, but it would be impossible to convince them of that. In comparison, it may appear that way, but a lot of the reality behind it is overlooked. First, my wife is a stay at home mom, we have two kids, etc. Outside of my mortgage, I have no debt.

Now, an interesting thing about Facebook, Twitter, and other such social media is it allows us to do is silently observe people. It doesn't take long for me to realize why I'm viewed as rich because I always seem to have money, while they view themselves as poor. All one needs to do is look at their timeline to see where they spend all their money ... which is eating out seemingly EVERY DAY. The last place I ate out at was Buffalo Wild Wings...29$. Meanwhile, I see picture after picture of these "poor" people at Blackhawks games, Bears games, restaurants, etc...

The worst part ... when your success is attributed to luck. Yes, my company pays me what they pay me because I'm lucky. That's what it is.

yeah, I have a $35 a month 'stupid' phone instead of spending hundreds for the latest so-called smart one. Saves a lot.

When I refer to rich people, I mean a very certain subset of American culture. They give their kids $100k cars for their 16th birthday, they give their kids golf carts when they turn 13. They spend more money on a 13 year olds party than most people spend on a wedding.

Edited by Soxbadger

With the way the country is going, you're a fool for being so responsible. You're going to be penalized in retirement for saving, whereas someone who "wastes" there money will eventually be picked up by the government and supported.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
Seems reasonable to me.

200 days of work a year, that is $250 per day, 8.5 hour work day = $29 per hour

Its possible, but unlikely.

200? :huh:

5 days a week X 50 weeks a year (assuming 2 weeks of vacation) = 250 days.

I wish I could find the article about the family that made like 350K a year but didn’t "feel rich" because after they paid their pool boy, their cleaning lady, made the payments on their Mercedes, paid for their kids private schools and put money into their retirement accounts, they just didn’t have much money left over.

:eyeroll:

Guilty as charged. In my twenties and thierties I was making very nice money and spending even more. If I received a $10,000 raise, I would spend $15,000. Stupid. Now I earn, and spend way less, but have more money

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
Annual wages / 2080 (52 weeks x 8 hours a day)

50,000/ 2,080 = $24/hour before taxes

Yea, that's about what I got too. :lol:

Unless he was figuring full-time as 32 hours a week? Four 8-hour days a week?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
I wish I could find the article about the family that made like 350K a year but didn’t "feel rich" because after they paid their pool boy, their cleaning lady, made the payments on their Mercedes, paid for their kids private schools and put money into their retirement accounts, they just didn’t have much money left over.

:eyeroll:

Living in an urban area with bad public schools, 3 kids under age of 12

Mortgage payment (includes taxes and insurance) $2,000

Utilities/Monthly Fixed bills $1,000 (family cell phone plan with 1 GB data plan, HBO Direct TV package, car/life insurance etc.)

Food $1,000 (not cutting coupons using discount stores)

Non-Consumable spending (kids sports, clothing, misc entertainment) $500

Private School (not high school) $900

1 car payment (2 cars in home, new car every 5 years) $350

You can't get rich here but it makes for a comfortable life on a day to day basis on $70K net pay. Also limits your annual vacations to one very vanilla trip.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
200? :huh:

5 days a week X 50 weeks a year (assuming 2 weeks of vacation) = 250 days.

Well if Im in charge Im changing society more than just giving a few extra dollars per hour. If you notice I presumed a 8.5 hour work day, yet gave more days off total.

I just think its better to work a little longer every day and get more days completely off, than to work slightly shorter days but have more of them.

And whenever I make my arguments I always tend to err on the side of caution, so by presuming 200 days, I dont get anyone arguing that no one works that much, etc etc. That way I dont have to fight with someone who comes in and says "Well 250 days counts in sick days, etc etc"

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
Guilty as charged. In my twenties and thierties I was making very nice money and spending even more. If I received a $10,000 raise, I would spend $15,000. Stupid. Now I earn, and spend way less, but have more money

I think we've all been there at some point -- but some of us learn from our mistakes, others never do.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
I think we've all been there at some point -- but some of us learn from our mistakes, others never do.

I'll get there as soon as I can catch up on all the house repairs that I neglected for years simply because I couldn't afford them.