Let's sign Brian McCann

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:56 PM)
I didn't want McCann up until about an hour ago. I think this team may actually compete in 2015 if they can add Abreu and McCann.

With Abreu and McCann, I think they can compete next year.

You get a nice middle of the order with McCann, Abreu, and Dunn.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:19 AM)
What does everything think Cano is going to get? I would kill to see him on the Sox.. highly doubt they would spend the money needed but one can dream! I was just reading Cano supposedly asked 10yrs 300+... yikes no chance

He's worth nowhere near $300 million. He would handicap your payroll for the second half of that contract.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
I doubt we have the kind of money to get both.

It's a possibility. In the Abreu thread someone said payroll is around $66 now . Last year it was $119. With $25M in TV money lets say the Sox stay around $120M payroll. That means we still have $50M+ to spend for 2014.

I would be hesitant to put so much money in a catcher that would be expected to play a huge role in the offense. Catchers get banged up, fatigued, and get more days off than other position players. Does he eventually move to first with Abreu the future DH. I like him and would be happy if the Sox got him, but it's risky.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:59 AM)
It's a possibility. In the Abreu thread someone said payroll is around $66 now . Last year it was $119. With $25M in TV money lets say the Sox stay around $120M payroll. That means we still have $50M+ to spend for 2014.

With how poorly we played and the low attendance numbers, I think getting a payroll over $100 million would be an accomplishment.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:59 AM)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:12 AM)
With how poorly we played and the low attendance numbers, I think getting a payroll over $100 million would be an accomplishment.

The payroll is at $66M before Gordon's arbitration and likely extension for Quintana and possibly Santiago.

Even with those, if the Sox want to aim for $110+, they have enough for Ellsbury and McCann.

Signing Abreu, McCann, and Ellsbury will put people in seats.

Then add in AviGar, Sale, and Quintana and you have players that can attract fans.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:06 AM)
I would be hesitant to put so much money in a catcher that would be expected to play a huge role in the offense. Catchers get banged up, fatigued, and get more days off than other position players. Does he eventually move to first with Abreu the future DH. I like him and would be happy if the Sox got him, but it's risky.

I was told Rick really feels they undervalued the catcher position last season and regrets it.

Yes if they can sign him, the idea is McCann and JDA can coexist nicely as LH/RH and ultimately protect Avi.

I like McCann as a solid piece on a contending team, but he's not gonna stay a perennial All Star catcher like he was in ATL. He's a solid hitter, strong game-caller but his arm and overall defense is on the decline. IMO, he's gonna be overpaid pretty quickly into his next contract but that's the cost of business in baseball.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:18 AM)
The payroll is at $66M before Gordon's arbitration and likely extension for Quintana and possibly Santiago.

Even with those, if the Sox want to aim for $110+, they have enough for Ellsbury and McCann.

Then add in AviGar, Sale, and Quintana and you have players that can attract fans.

If the Sox sign Ellsbury and McCann then I am going to jizz in your pants.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:18 AM)

I missed this story, when did it happen?

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:19 AM)
What does everything think Cano is going to get? I would kill to see him on the Sox.. highly doubt they would spend the money needed but one can dream! I was just reading Cano supposedly asked 10yrs 300+... yikes no chance

I think realistically he comes down in the $175 million range for perhaps 8 years.

I've been all about McCann for a long time now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the JDA signing took a lot of the money away from the McCann fund.

Let's not forget that this is a 99 loss team. Situations like the 2013 Red Sox are uncommon, and they had a much better core than we do. Spending needs to happen, but it needs to happen cautiously. I don't think Hahn wants to put his job on the line in year two.

That said, I'd love to have McCann, I just think it's much less likely now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
I've been all about McCann for a long time now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the JDA signing took a lot of the money away from the McCann fund.

Let's not forget that this is a 99 loss team. Situations like the 2013 Red Sox are uncommon, and they had a much better core than we do. Spending needs to happen, but it needs to happen cautiously. I don't think Hahn wants to put his job on the line in year two.

That said, I'd love to have McCann, I just think it's much less likely now.

Abreu will make less than Peavy was supposed to make. Less than Rios was supposed to make, depending how they break it down, about as much as Floyd was paid for 2013. Konerko, Thornton, Crain all gone. An additional $25 million from the national TV contract. There is plenty more money to spend if they chose to spend it.

The last 2 times the White Sox lost 90 + games in a season where they weren't undergoing a total rebuild, they made the playoffs in 2008, and won 90 games in 1977. With 5 teams now playoff bound, it's not outlandish to think they could contend for a spot with a couple of pick ups. I think the odds of 2013 repeating itself are pretty slim.

Hahn knows he needs offense, he mentioned it as his #1 priority. He is going to pick up another big bat somewhere without a doubt.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Abreu will make less than Peavy was supposed to make. Less than Rios was supposed to make, depending how they break it down, about as much as Floyd was paid for 2013. Konerko, Thornton, Crain all gone. An additional $25 million from the national TV contract. There is plenty more money to spend if they chose to spend it.

I'm not saying they don't HAVE it, I'm just saying that the budget is oftentimes much lower than the total size of the bank account.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
You're not getting his point. If we stand pat from here the payroll would drop ~50 millionish from OD '13.

Friend, you are not getting MY point :D

I'm not saying they will or should stand pat, but there is a huge difference between standing pat and adding a $100m contract. I'm just saying it's unprecedented (I think ) for a team to break its record for largest contract twice in a single offseason, and it's even stranger coming off of a 99 loss season.

I'm just saying we should temper our expectations. Throwinjg around money like never before tends to be a little video-gamey for teams to do.