Let's sign Brian McCann

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
McCann is a Braves fan from Georgia.

the Sox would need to "up" the finances to woo him away.

Except the Braves might not even want to keep him. They like what they have in Gattis and he's much cheaper. McCann won't take that big of a discount for his one big FA payday.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Except the Braves might not even want to keep him. They like what they have in Gattis and he's much cheaper. McCann won't take that big of a discount for his one big FA payday.

From what I read, it sounds like the Braves are perfectly fine with just letting him walk because they think Gattis can duplicate his production at a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
From what I read, it sounds like the Braves are perfectly fine with just letting him walk because they think Gattis can duplicate his production at a fraction of the cost.

Does that mean that he'd be more likely to sign with a team like the Mets, then?

Buck is walking and McCann would want "revenge" on the Braves for not re-signing him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Does that mean that he'd be more likely to sign with a team like the Mets, then?

Buck is walking and McCann would want "revenge" on the Braves for not re-signing him.

I think a guy in his situation just looks at the list of teams he is willing to play for and then takes the biggest contract offered from one of those teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 15m

brian mccann is a lucky man. many big-market teams should be in: nyy, bos, tex, cubs, laa, etc. http://cbsprt.co/1fOm8GV

Yeah, this is not the year to try and sign him.

Personally, I'd just try and get AJ back and focus on some other holes we have to fill.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
AJ fits remarkably well to our needs. I feel like the majority of posters hate the idea but he won't get a contract more than 10 million (in my mind), he's lefty and well above average offensively. I do think average White Sox fans love and recognize AJP as well. He's the left handed, consistent producing veteran we need.

L Dunn

R Abreu

L AJ

R Garcia

Replacing our bottom tier production at 1B/C with Abreu and AJP would make a big difference.

Bringing back AJ for a year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The catcher experiment failed last year, and I am not sure that it would be much better next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Bringing back AJ for a year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. The catcher experiment failed last year, and I am not sure that it would be much better next year.

I would phrase it just like that -- wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But if it comes to that and it isn't after we've already added at least 3 more upgrades, I'd rather save that money and put it into player dev or international signing penalties or something. Signing AJ only makes sense if he's the final stopgap in an offseason where we unexpectedly got competitive right away.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
I would phrase it just like that -- wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But if it comes to that and it isn't after we've already added at least 3 more upgrades, I'd rather save that money and put it into player dev or international signing penalties or something. Signing AJ only makes sense if he's the final stopgap in an offseason where we unexpectedly got competitive right away.

I honestly think AJ would bring back a sense of focus that we lost last year. I know you quants don't really believe in that stuff so much, but I just think he keeps people on their toes, he knows how to play the game, and he brings some accountability that we are desperately lacking both from our manager and in terms of player leadership.

I don't see a McCann signing happening, but we can hope. No matter the length of the contract, he'll be getting at least $15 million per year. Saltalamacchia is a possibility, and he'd be significantly cheaper. But I wouldn't rule out AJ coming back for a year. He would be a left-handed bat the Sox need, and he'd be relatively cheap. If the Sox can fill the 3B hole, and they spend the money there, AJ filling in for a year makes sense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
I honestly think AJ would bring back a sense of focus that we lost last year. I know you quants don't really believe in that stuff so much, but I just think he keeps people on their toes, he knows how to play the game, and he brings some accountability that we are desperately lacking both from our manager and in terms of player leadership.

Just look at September 2012, the sense of focus with AJ around was the difference.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Just look at September 2012, the sense of focus with AJ around was the difference.

Yeah, I know you don't care for this one. I'm not saying AJ is the perfect player...he certainly has his detractors.

But we are short on guys that seem to understand what is happening on a baseball field at times. AJ, at the catcher position, would help in that regard IMHO.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
AJ Pierzysnki is going to be a great value for whoever signs him. The fact that he is a lefthanded and plays a position we suck at...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)

I agree with all of this. The problem is that he's old, and we need to be developing a long-term solution at C to be ready when the team is competitive. If we signed AJ, it would essentially be kicking the can down the road. We'd get a decent year out of him but we'd have the same hole to fill as before, and without having given at bats to anyone who might fill it.

I'm not saying Flowers/Phegley are the answer, but if we're not going to get someone else, they need at bats to try to get better.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
Yeah, I know you don't care for this one. I'm not saying AJ is the perfect player...he certainly has his detractors.

But we are short on guys that seem to understand what is happening on a baseball field at times. AJ, at the catcher position, would help in that regard IMHO.

To be fair, his team did collapse down the stretch this year again, although I am sure that will just be blamed on the Alex Rios acquisition.

I just don't buy the accountability argument. If AJ were to yell at De Aza after a baserunning blunder, he would stop making stupid mistakes? If Alexei had to answer to AJ, would he have made less errors? Doubtful.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
I agree with all of this. The problem is that he's old, and we need to be developing a long-term solution at C to be ready when the team is competitive. If we signed AJ, it would essentially be kicking the can down the road. We'd get a decent year out of him but we'd have the same hole to fill as before, and without having given at bats to anyone who might fill it.

I'm not saying Flowers/Phegley are the answer, but if we're not going to get someone else, they need at bats to try to get better.

Well I guess that depends on whether you believe we have anyone that can develop into the long-term solution at C. Given the beating catchers take, I think it's foolish to acquire an above-average or elite one via FA. You've either got to develop one yourself, or go with a marginal veteran at a reasonable price. I don't think Phegley or Flowers is the answer, and I don't want to spend what it is going to take to sign McCann, given his age. So sign a marginal stopgap and draft a few this year and next and hope one can stick.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
To be fair, his team did collapse down the stretch this year again, although I am sure that will just be blamed on the Alex Rios acquisition.

I just don't buy the accountability argument. If AJ were to yell at De Aza after a baserunning blunder, he would stop making stupid mistakes? If Alexei had to answer to AJ, would he have made less errors? Doubtful.

Well, I am looking at a few things...one, the complete lack of focus this team had this year as opposed to previous years, and two, the fact that the Red Sox, of all teams, thought enough of character and accountability to specifically target certain guys in order to bring back a sense of professionalism to their ballclub this year. I think we could go to school on that a bit, especially given the amount of young players that are going to be coming through our roster in the next several years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I think AJ is an option if they have made all of the moves they feel necessary to make the team competitive without having added a catcher and he's still out there. That's about the only reason I see them signing him or even having the desire to sign him.

Would you rather spend $10-12 million a year on McCann for the next 6 years or $12-14 on AJ for the next two?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Well I guess that depends on whether you believe we have anyone that can develop into the long-term solution at C. Given the beating catchers take, I think it's foolish to acquire an above-average or elite one via FA. You've either got to develop one yourself, or go with a marginal veteran at a reasonable price. I don't think Phegley or Flowers is the answer, and I don't want to spend what it is going to take to sign McCann, given his age. So sign a marginal stopgap and draft a few this year and next and hope one can stick.

Well, that's why I started that Saltalamacchia thread. He's 28, good defensively, and might only cost $8m or so a year. That's a guy we can live with for 5 years even if his bat isn't quite as good as it was this year.

If it comes down to AJ, I'd almost rather sign Geovany Soto in case he bounces back because he's young enough thaty we might extend him.