Let's sign Brian McCann

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
Well, that's why I started that Saltalamacchia thread. He's 28, good defensively, and might only cost $8m or so a year. That's a guy we can live with for 5 years even if his bat isn't quite as good as it was this year.

If it comes down to AJ, I'd almost rather sign Geovany Soto in case he bounces back because he's young enough thaty we might extend him.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Salty, but I think his price will be driven up by this catcher's market.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Well I guess that depends on whether you believe we have anyone that can develop into the long-term solution at C. Given the beating catchers take, I think it's foolish to acquire an above-average or elite one via FA. You've either got to develop one yourself, or go with a marginal veteran at a reasonable price. I don't think Phegley or Flowers is the answer, and I don't want to spend what it is going to take to sign McCann, given his age. So sign a marginal stopgap and draft a few this year and next and hope one can stick.

The A's got by quite nicely picking up Vogt from the waiver wire. Not easy to do, but it's not impossible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
Would you rather spend $10-12 million a year on McCann for the next 6 years or $12-14 on AJ for the next two?

I would rather have McCann for the next 5 years at $15 million than AJ for the next 2 at either of those figures. I think McCann might get $100 million though, which is absolutely horrifiying for a player of his injury history and less than elite numbers.

Saltalamacchia really is my #1 choice right now, given relatively estimates right now, but he could end up around $50 mill or so this offseason, and I don't want to do that either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
I would rather have McCann for the next 5 years at $15 million than AJ for the next 2 at either of those figures. I think McCann might get $100 million though, which is absolutely horrifiying for a player of his injury history and less than elite numbers.

Saltalamacchia really is my #1 choice right now, given relatively estimates right now, but he could end up around $50 mill or so this offseason, and I don't want to do that either.

I guess it depends on what other moves are made, like you have mentioned...if Hahn somehow acquires some other pieces via trade and signing McCann can put us in position to contend in the next few years, I could live with that. But you just know that those last 2-3 years are going to kill you on that contract. I think that money is better spent elsewhere.

So assuming McCann and Salty's prices get driven up too high, what do you do?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
Yeah, I know you don't care for this one. I'm not saying AJ is the perfect player...he certainly has his detractors.

But we are short on guys that seem to understand what is happening on a baseball field at times. AJ, at the catcher position, would help in that regard IMHO.

AJ is a significant upgrade and more cost effective. I'm with you Shack, not sure why we wouldn't look at him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

Salty at 50M is a horrible idea. AJ would be a much better answer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
Salty at 50M is a horrible idea. AJ would be a much better answer.

I'd rather have Saltalamacchia at $40 million over AJ at really any price because he's a far better defensive catcher and still has upside offensively. I just don't think that's going to happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
Well, I am looking at a few things...one, the complete lack of focus this team had this year as opposed to previous years, and two, the fact that the Red Sox, of all teams, thought enough of character and accountability to specifically target certain guys in order to bring back a sense of professionalism to their ballclub this year. I think we could go to school on that a bit, especially given the amount of young players that are going to be coming through our roster in the next several years.

The Red Sox didn't turn it around because of professionalism. They were much better because of health and a couple better baseball players.

I'd be up for signing AJ because he is still good at baseball, not because of any locker room effect he may have, which is still yet to be proven as positive or negative.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
I just looked at the free agent class for catchers. Ugh...very thin. Beyond McCann, Salty, AJ, and Suzuki there's not much at all.

Kurt Suzuki's career splits are .253/.309/.375/.685, he's put up .237/.294/.357/.650 over his last 1817 PAs, and he's at .234/.282/.332/.614 over his last 758. Kurt Suzuki is absolutely a terrible player.

In the hypothetical scenario that the Sox did think that Phegley (or Flowers) was going to get another shot as the full-time catcher next year and could break out as a legit contributor...is there any other obvious LH hitting catcher who could fill the backup/part time role next to him?

Not many players should enjoy a better free agency than catcher Brian McCann.

McCann's consistent offensive numbers, his relative youth and even his serious attitude should aid him as he approaches the free-agent market. But another big plus is the large number of big-market teams that'll be seeking a catcher.

Early predictions that he could reach $100 million may be a bit ambitious, but it has to help that the Red Sox, Yankees, Rangers, Cubs and Angels all are candidates to sign a catcher and could be major McCann players. The Blue Jays and White Sox are among ther teams that could have an interest, as well. The Giants and Rockies are said to like McCann very much, but Colorado is very unlikely to be able to afford him and it's hard to imagine how the San Francisco would make it work with superstar catcher Buster Posey and young first baseman Brandon Belt.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-he...ers-etc-in-play

I could see $80M/5 years being a deal for McCann that the Sox could theoretically pull off.