Right to be skeptical?

ozzfest

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Hawk is gonna sell Abreu so hard.

"I tell ya, Stony, this kid has a chance to be a MONSTER. The sound it makes off this kid's bat... I say the best three right-handed hitters we've seen over the last twenty years are TheBigHurtFrankThomas, Manny Ramirez, and Miguel Cabrera -- this guy has a chance to be as good as ALL OF EM."

"I don't know about the other league, but the three liveliest bats in this league are Cespedes, Viciedo, and Abreu -- and we got TWO OF EM"

He may not be better than Cabrera, but he has a chance to be as good as Cabrera. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)

"I tell ya, Stony, this kid has a chance to be a MONSTER. The sound it makes off this kid's bat... I say the best three right-handed hitters we've seen over the last twenty years are TheBigHurtFrankThomas, Manny Ramirez, and Miguel Cabrera -- this guy has a chance to be as good as ALL OF EM."

"I don't know about the other league, but the three liveliest bats in this league are Cespedes, Viciedo, and Abreu -- and we got TWO OF EM"

He'd be an idiot not to. The announcer who said anything but that kind of stuff would be the announcer finding another job. Just ask Steve Stone.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Ever?.................................Carlton Fisk says hello. Fisk was 100% jackpot and changed the Sox perception all for the better.

ESPN has Fisk listed in the best 18 free agent signings in honorable mention section and yes I know article is dated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...ntracts/MLBbest

This. Argument over.

I'm not so sure of regular fans ignorance. I remember being surprised how pumped fans were for Iguchi. Regular fans pick up on what hardcore fans are talking about. And hardcore fans are going to be talking about Abreu a lot.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)

Don't forget Puig and Avisail Garcia, lol.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm not so sure of regular fans ignorance. I remember being surprised how pumped fans were for Iguchi. Regular fans pick up on what hardcore fans are talking about. And hardcore fans are going to be talking about Abreu a lot.

Nobody was pumped up about Hermanson and Politte.

There was curiosity about El Duque, what he had left in the tank.

Then a LOT of uncertainty about what we were going to get out of Pods, Dye and AJ.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)

Maybe I am selling regular fans short, but it's still not going to put butts in the seats either way. Sox fans have always shown that winning is the only way to get them to show up and sometimes even that doesn't work.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
Maybe I am selling regular fans short, but it's still not going to put butts in the seats either way. Sox fans have always shown that winning is the only way to get them to show up and sometimes even that doesn't work.

They were also excited about Takatsu...remember the whole gong thing?

But that didn't last very long, as soon as the league adjusted to the frisbee.

Beckham for 3-4 months was the last time there was genuine excitement. And it's a shame that Chris Sale never had a rookie season as a starting pitcher or there would have been a lot more coverage for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
but it's still not going to put butts in the seats either way. Sox fans have always shown that winning is the only way to get them to show up

And that's pretty much how it would be anywhere else and how it should be. If Abreu comes in and is an impressive offensive force and is making headlines from the get go and/or the Sox are winning games, people will show up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 03:04 AM)

Then a LOT of uncertainty about what we were going to get out of Pods, Dye and AJ.

I used Iguchi because he was a Free agent signing from another country, not because he was a 2005 free agent. Not sure I've ever been pumped for middle relief help either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)

Forgive me for not getting excited about guys coming off seasons of 4.53 and 5.66 ERAs respectively.

Still, there was genuine excitement about Hermanson... http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26944

Not so much Politte http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13936

People were pretty stoked about Duque too because the Sox had a real 5th starter.

Pods, yes; Dye, no; AJ, no.

We were also excited about Iguchi: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29022

Sox fans generally do have a pretty good grasp of the team's signings

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
Forgive me for not getting excited about guys coming off seasons of 4.53 and 5.66 ERAs respectively.

Still, there was genuine excitement about Hermanson... http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26944

Not so much Politte http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13936

People were pretty stoked about Duque too because the Sox had a real 5th starter.

Pods, yes; Dye, no; AJ, no.

We were also excited about Iguchi: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29022

Sox fans generally do have a pretty good grasp of the team's signings

Fun to go back to old threads and look at which posters were around back than.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
Fun to go back to old threads and look at which posters were around back than.

Here's another fun one

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56432

EDIT: I suggested the Sox sign Carlos Pena to a minor league deal rather than sign Erstad. All he did that year was put up .282/.411/.627/1.037. Pretty sure they did actually bring in Eduardo Perez too, and he retired in Spring Training. God I nailed that thread.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
Here's another fun one

EDIT: I suggested the Sox sign Carlos Pena to a minor league deal rather than sign Erstad. All he did that year was put up .282/.411/.627/1.037. Pretty sure they did actually bring in Eduardo Perez too, and he retired in Spring Training. God I nailed that thread.

Which coincidentally was the last time Wite nailed anything...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
Here's another fun one

Where would Pena have played? Konerko and Thome were taking up his spots. I guess you could have put him in LF, but then the Sox might not have picked up Quentin in 2008.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Where would Pena have played? Konerko and Thome were taking up his spots. I guess you could have put him in LF, but then the Sox might not have picked up Quentin in 2008.

Psshh second base

Yeah, I wanted him strictly as a backup. It was merely ironic and coincidental that I was asking for the Sox to sign him and then he went bonkers

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
Psshh second base

Yeah, I wanted him strictly as a backup. It was merely ironic and coincidental that I was asking for the Sox to sign him and then he went bonkers

Which probably goes to show it is just as important for the player to select where he plays as it is the team that selects him. If Pena signed with the Sox, he probably doesn't get much of an opportunity and probably winds up making a lot less money during his career.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Which probably goes to show it is just as important for the player to select where he plays as it is the team that selects him. If Pena signed with the Sox, he probably doesn't get much of an opportunity and probably winds up making a lot less money during his career.

Very much so. When guys leave for a better opportunity, whether for money or playing time, it's really hard for fans to hold it against them.

A normal person's career is anywhere between 40-50 years. These guys are going to be extremely lucky if they can "work" for 15 years.