St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Red Sox

knightni

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
I think the Cards are going to win game 6 with Wacha going. The Sox would be smart to go with Lackey in game 7 and not game 6.

I'm with ya that the cardinals will win game 6... Red Sox in 7 thou... It'll be a freaking pitching orgy.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
I think the Cards are going to win game 6 with Wacha going. The Sox would be smart to go with Lackey in game 7 and not game 6.

Lackey bested Verlander in the ALCS so I don't think they will switch away from Wacha. Cards look like a defeated team .

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)

I don't know if conceding game 6 to get to game 7 is the best idea. Red Sox were in game 2 with the same pitching matchup until Breslow happened. I think the Sox win game 6, they will get to Wacha this time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
I don't know if conceding game 6 to get to game 7 is the best idea. Red Sox were in game 2 with the same pitching matchup until Breslow happened. I think the Sox win game 6, they will get to Wacha this time.

Lackey also pitched in game 4, so he'd kind of be going on short rest (although I think game 4 was his bullpen day anyways). The Red Sox staff know their pitchers better than I do, but going with Peavy in game 7 seems a bit risky.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
Lackey also pitched in game 4, so he'd kind of be going on short rest (although I think game 4 was his bullpen day anyways). The Red Sox staff know their pitchers better than I do, but going with Peavy in game 7 seems a bit risky.

Who starts game 6 then? Peavy on short rest? Anything can happen in a game 7, you gotta try to close it out when you can.

Plus, game 7 is all hands on deck, I'm sure Lester will be available for a couple innings if needed, Buchholz too. Plus, the Cardinals would start Joe Kelly, he's no ace either.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Yeah but Peavy has a tendency to s*** his pants in playoff games.

I've always been the first person to point out that fact. But unless they trust Doubront to go 5+ innings, Peavy is gonna have to start game 6 or game 7. I'd rather give him game 7 on regular rest with your ace available out of the bullpen against a s***tier mound opponent, IF you don't win game 6.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
I've always been the first person to point out that fact. But unless they trust Doubront to go 5+ innings, Peavy is gonna have to start game 6 or game 7. I'd rather give him game 7 on regular rest with your ace available out of the bullpen against a s***tier mound opponent, IF you don't win game 6.

I think they'll go Lackey in game 6. If they lose and go to a game 7, they will start Peavy, but with an extremely short leash. They will then be able to bring in Buchholz, Doubront and even Lester if need be.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...story?track=rss

Ticket prices for Game 6 of the World Series in Boston's Fenway Park reached Super Bowl levels on Wednesday.

The chance to see the Red Sox win the championship for the first time at home since 1918 drove the average cost of a ticket up to $2,056 on the resale market Wednesday morning, according to information obtained by ESPN through TiqIQ, a ticket tracking company.

That's in the neighborhood of the average resale price of $2,199 for the Super Bowl in February.

Prices for a chance to see the Red Sox possibly win it all against the St. Louis Cardinals ranged from $1,000 for bleacher seats to $24,000 for two first-row seats in a dugout box.

The Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and in 2007, but both times they did it on the road. Jim Holzman of Boston-based Ace Ticket told ESPN that's what is driving the prices up.

"People want to see them win it here," Holzman said. "That's what has made this the biggest ticket we've ever seen. It's the Super Bowl except people don't have to pay $1,000 for a hotel and $2,000 for airfare."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

Here's hoping they have to wait another century.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I really feel like a Boston victory means another PEDS-tainted WS. They've been absolutely CARRIED by Big Steroid, the last vestige of the Bonds/Sosa/McGwire era that most of us are trying to forget. He would be treated as such if he didn't play for the ultimate media-darling franchise. Instead, he's embraced.

Now, I don't KNOW that Papi's still juicing, and I don't know if his team is cheating more or less than the Cardinals, or not at all, but color me big-time skeptical. Remember, Biogenesis is ONE clinic in ONE city in ONE country, and the culprits were only caught due to the paper trail, NOT due to failed tests.

Within the past several months on this board I read that Paul Konerko was tested 11 times in a single season and had to supply the bodily fluids within 24 hours of notification - that sounds pretty good for weeding out the cheaters. THEN I'm made to understand that the modern roids only create a detectable testosterone flare for 12 hours, with nothing detectable thereafter. It seems to me that a cheating player would have to be rather obtuse to actually fail a test, and that this dovetails with the lack of test fails that we've seen. If the Biogenesis thing has any long-term significance, it's not that it marked the end of an era as many would like us to believe, it's just that the cheaters shouldn't be dumb enough to buy from semi-legitimate businesses that keep records.

Sorry for the OT rant.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen