Jim Leyland stepping down

Kyyle23

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
They are crazy is what they are. It's why sports figures deserve the big bucks they get. The only way to shut everybody up is to win. Sounds simple, but it is true.

The Tigers completely have been dominating the division, but they haven't been able to take it all, so eventually the fans tire of the guy.

He's a great manager. I wonder how old he is. Would love for the Sox to get him after next season when Robin is done.

You clearly have access to that information, you used a computer to post this. He's 68. I looked that up while posting.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
They are crazy is what they are. It's why sports figures deserve the big bucks they get. The only way to shut everybody up is to win. Sounds simple, but it is true.

The Tigers completely have been dominating the division, but they haven't been able to take it all, so eventually the fans tire of the guy.

He's a great manager. I wonder how old he is. Would love for the Sox to get him after next season when Robin is done.

Can't say I didn't see this post coming. They've dominated the division because they have an owner who spend his money like there's no tomorrow. It's all about talent.

Leyland wouldn't have done much better with the talent the Sox had, and conversely a Ventura lead Tigers team would have dominated the division as well.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131021/COL0...land-drew-sharp

Gibson's out.

McClendon, Lamont are all in the running, as is Larry Parrish and possibly Torey Lovullo.

Mattingly, if he doesn't stay with the Dodgers.

Dusty Baker. Davey Johnson. Eric Wedge. They had Guillen's picture in their Top 10, fwiw. Rich Renteria.

Interestingly, no Dave Martinez.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 12:24 AM)
You clearly have access to that information, you used a computer to post this. He's 68. I looked that up while posting.

Uh, I can be lazy. What can I say? I thought I'd ask one of my soxtalk friends to post the age for me.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 12:35 AM)
Can't say I didn't see this post coming. They've dominated the division because they have an owner who spend his money like there's no tomorrow. It's all about talent.

Leyland wouldn't have done much better with the talent the Sox had, and conversely a Ventura lead Tigers team would have dominated the division as well.

It may all be about talent, but a lot of us happen to think some of the Sox defensive woes are a poor reflection on Robin. I know the Sox talent sucked, but I can't say everyone agrees with you and me on that. I still see posts wanting Beckham to return and wanting the combo of Kepp/Gillaspie to play third. And many want DeAza back and many want Lexi back and Dunn back.

Almost everybody agrees our pitching is good. So according to Soxtalk the team does have some 'talent.' Could somebody like Leyland have done 'much better' at the helm of the Sox?

Like I said, the only way to shut up all fans is by winning it all. Ozzie accomplished that and for a while was King of Chicago. Ozzie was able to complete the deal unlike Leyland and Ron Washington. But alas too many years passed after that w/out excelling again and fans tired of his mouth. Most fans. I still worship Ozzie so to speak.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Uh, I can be lazy. What can I say? I thought I'd ask one of my soxtalk friends to post the age for me.

It may all be about talent, but a lot of us happen to think some of the Sox defensive woes are a poor reflection on Robin. I know the Sox talent sucked, but I can't say everyone agrees with you and me on that. I still see posts wanting Beckham to return and wanting the combo of Kepp/Gillaspie to play third. And many want DeAza back and many want Lexi back and Dunn back.

Almost everybody agrees our pitching is good. So according to Soxtalk the team does have some 'talent.' Could somebody like Leyland have done 'much better' at the helm of the Sox?

Like I said, the only way to shut up all fans is by winning it all. Ozzie accomplished that and for a while was King of Chicago. Ozzie was able to complete the deal unlike Leyland and Ron Washington. But alas too many years passed after that w/out excelling again and fans tired of his mouth. Most fans. I still worship Ozzie so to speak.

And who's the 1 big name you're missing there in your post?

Paul Konerko.

When your #4 hitter bats .226/.290/.310 vs RHP and you're in a league thats VERY RH heavy that's a recipe for disaster....I mean Jeff friggin Keppinger put up a higher slugging% vs RHP and he wasn't even brought in to face RHP. Conor Gilaspie had a slug% .104 points higher than PK vs RHP, Beckham .089 points higher.

Guys like Beckham and the 3B platoon are gonna be your 7-8 or 9 hitters where they can be competent. They're not relied upon to be big run producers like Paulie was relied on to be.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 03:52 AM)
And who's the 1 big name you're missing there in your post?

Paul Konerko.

When your #4 hitter bats .226/.290/.310 vs RHP and you're in a league thats VERY RH heavy that's a recipe for disaster....I mean Jeff friggin Keppinger put up a higher slugging% vs RHP and he wasn't even brought in to face RHP. Conor Gilaspie had a slug% .104 points higher than PK vs RHP, Beckham .089 points higher.

Guys like Beckham and the 3B platoon are gonna be your 7-8 or 9 hitters where they can be competent. They're not relied upon to be big run producers like Paulie was relied on to be.

Yes, Paulie stunk, but Soxtalk is pointing out we have a team full of talent, for the simple reason so many people want these guys to return. So I think it's a fair point to make that if you think we have talent, perhaps Leyland could have done a better job with it and been .500 not a 99 loss team, Paulie notwithstanding.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:17 PM)
Yes, Paulie stunk, but Soxtalk is pointing out we have a team full of talent, for the simple reason so many people want these guys to return. So I think it's a fair point to make that if you think we have talent, perhaps Leyland could have done a better job with it and been .500 not a 99 loss team, Paulie notwithstanding.

Soxtalk is pointing out we have talent that can fill the 7-8-9 holes. The talent Leyland had were 3-4-5 hitters...You can't compare the 2.

If the Tigers had a 7-8-9 of Gillaspie-Beckham-Ramirez or whatever but still had a 2-3-4-5 of Hunter-Cabrera-Fielder-Martinez they would still dominate the Central.

You're pretty much comparing apples to oranges here, role players to impact bats. When I say talent I'm talking middle of the order guys, not 7-8-9 hitters.

GREG, nobody WANTS them, per se, they're just the best possible options or "lesser of two evils."

There's just not any top tier 3B available on the free agent market, and the trade market.....there might be guys like Seager and Lawrie but they're going to cost Santiago.

Nobody clearly better than Ramirez at SS on the free agent market.

And while everyone would prefer to have Brandon Phillips to Gordon Beckham, if you factor in the talent we would have to give up, his age and contract due into his mid 30's, it makes ZERO sense.

Waiving Adam Dunn makes no sense....even if you kept Konerko, what LH hitters would we have then to balance out the line-up?

Same thing with DeAza....it's Alejandro at $4.4 million or Granderson at $12-15 million, 90% would think the differential's not worth it...and when you add in the length of the contract and it going into his mid 30's again, like Phillips maybe only 3-5% would favor it.

The Tigers had two Cy Young pitchers in Scherzer and Verlander, two MVP candidates in Cabrera/Fielder (well, until this year), Torii Hunter, Austin Jackson, Peralta, etc.

Then you have Sanchez, Fister, Porcello and Smyly, perhaps the best collection of pitching outside of StL and Atlanta....although some would argue with PLAYOFF Verlander and Scherzer they're the best top 4 in baseball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 12:13 AM)
GREG, nobody WANTS them, per se, they're just the best possible options or "lesser of two evils."

There's just not any top tier 3B available on the free agent market, and the trade market.....there might be guys like Seager and Lawrie but they're going to cost Santiago.

Nobody clearly better than Ramirez at SS on the free agent market.

And while everyone would prefer to have Brandon Phillips to Gordon Beckham, if you factor in the talent we would have to give up, his age and contract due into his mid 30's, it makes ZERO sense.

Waiving Adam Dunn makes no sense....even if you kept Konerko, what LH hitters would we have then to balance out the line-up?

Same thing with DeAza....it's Alejandro at $4.4 million or Granderson at $12-15 million, 90% would think the differential's not worth it...and when you add in the length of the contract and it going into his mid 30's again, like Phillips maybe only 3-5% would favor it.

The Tigers had two Cy Young pitchers in Scherzer and Verlander, two MVP candidates in Cabrera/Fielder (well, until this year), Torii Hunter, Austin Jackson, Peralta, etc.

Then you have Sanchez, Fister, Porcello and Smyly, perhaps the best collection of pitching outside of StL and Atlanta....although some would argue with PLAYOFF Verlander and Scherzer they're the best top 4 in baseball.

Eh, they are guys. I wouldnt say those guys make them perhaps the best collection.

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9920831/...mus-new-manager

The Detroit Tigers will hire Brad Ausmus to replace Jim Leyland as the team's manager, according to multiple reports.

Ausmus, 44, will travel to Detroit on Sunday to finalize the deal.

The move was first reported by SportsRadio 610 in Houston.

Ausmus, a former major league catcher, has served as special assistant in the San Diego Padres' front office since 2010. He has never served as a manager or a coach at the big league level, but did manage the Israeli national team that failed to qualify for the World Baseball Classic in 2012.

Ausmus played for four teams in his career, which spanned from 1993-2010. He played for the Tigers for part of the 1996 season, and again from 1999-2000.

Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski had confirmed that Ausmus interviewed for the position on Monday. Los Angeles Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach and Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon also interviewed for the position.

The Tigers needed a new manager after Leyland stepped down following the team's loss to the Boston Red Sox in the AL Championship Series last month.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Likewise, Ausmus operates on Epstein's level intellectually in a way Sveum didn't. A Dartmouth graduate who caught 1,938 major league games, Ausmus assembled a data base of opposing hitters on his home computer as a player. His favorite book is "A Schopenhauerian Critique of Nietzsche's Thought'' — written by his father, Harry, a retired professor of European history.

Ausmus, 44, became known for a sense of humor every Cubs manager needs. When Ausmus, who is Jewish, sat out on Yom Kippur in 2001, he explained he was "trying to atone for my poor first half." Joe Torre thought so highly of Ausmus that he let him manage the Dodgers for one game at the end of the 2009 season.

Still, Ausmus lacks experience Epstein said he preferred and represents a riskier hire for a rebuilding team such as Cubs than he would for a winning team on autopilot like the Tigers. If I were ranking candidates for Epstein, Ausmus would fall behind the smartest choice, Lovullo, and Renteria. Maybe losing him to the Tigers isn't so bad.

Haugh, chicagotribune.com

We need to start a thread with a book discussion, haha. Also, hadn't realized Torre let Ausmus manage the Dodgers, kind of like the White Sox allow Cooper to manage at the end of 2011.