2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
No way. I like Franco, but he is far too risky a prospect to acquire for Quintana straight up, and frankly, the idea of getting Domonic Brown straight up for Quintana seems silly too.

There's a match and my initial hypothetical package that comes to mind is Quintana and De Aza for Brown, Biddle, and Franco, but that's too much from the Phillies end. Still, there could definitely be pieces that move here.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant swap Biddle for Franco in the package that included Brown (Brown and Franco for Q).

Not arguing here, just curious, what makes Franco "far too risky"? Just the fact that he's a prospect in general? His numbers looked ridiculous last year for a 21 year old in AA, big power, not a lot of strikeouts. Depending on what the Phils think of Brown, I may actually be asking a bit too much here. Like you proposed maybe adding De Aza could get you both Brown and Franco, probably not Biddle as well.

But then questions arise from the deal(yes, I'm questioning my own proposed deal)...Who leads off? Are you ok with Garcia in CF? If not are you giving up on Dayan "already"?

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of scouts who believe Franco is far too aggressive at the plate, having a tendency to swing at everything and there are concerns regarding his ability to lay off pitches once he gets to pitchers who are more skilled. It's awesome to see that kind of raw power out of a 20 year old, and he'd easily be a top 3 prospect in the White Sox system (if not the top prospect), but that does not mean there still is not considerable risk.

Regarding Brown, that simply wouldn't happen. The Phillies would be hesitant to trade Brown straight up for Quintana, let alone including a prospect like Franco in too.

As I said, if a trade happens, it'd probably be something along the lines of Quintana, De Aza, and (fill in the blank) for Brown, Biddle, and Franco, or Biddle/Franco, or who knows. They might take give Brown straight up for Quintana, but they certainly won't do Franco and Brown for Quintana. He's good; he's not David Price good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
There are a lot of scouts who believe Franco is far too aggressive at the plate, having a tendency to swing at everything and there are concerns regarding his ability to lay off pitches once he gets to pitchers who are more skilled. It's awesome to see that kind of raw power out of a 20 year old, and he'd easily be a top 3 prospect in the White Sox system (if not the top prospect), but that does not mean there still is not considerable risk.

Regarding Brown, that simply wouldn't happen. The Phillies would be hesitant to trade Brown straight up for Quintana, let alone including a prospect like Franco in too.

As I said, if a trade happens, it'd probably be something along the lines of Quintana, De Aza, and (fill in the blank) for Brown, Biddle, and Franco, or Biddle/Franco, or who knows. They might take give Brown straight up for Quintana, but they certainly won't do Franco and Brown for Quintana. He's good; he's not David Price good.

Interesting, looking at his numbers I would have never guessed that. 31 strikeouts in 69 games as a 20 year old in AA doesn't suggest that at all.

Outgoing Reds outfielder Shin-Soo Choo is being shopped above the seven-year, $126MM contract inked by Jayson Werth with the Nationals before the 2011 season, reports ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (via Twitter). The Scott Boras client, who is unquestionably one of the game's most attractive open market commodities, has long been rumored to be looking for nine figures, though a report yesterday said he was asking more in the $90MM range.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/choo...m-contract.html

Dear lord.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
At the end of the day, I will be interested to see how Ellsbury and Choo do in terms of total contract, versus how Robinson Cano does.

Good point. Unless the Yankees decide to go much higher than the field, it seems like Cano will get way underpaid compared to the anticipated contracts for Ellsbury and Choo

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Good point. Unless the Yankees decide to go much higher than the field, it seems like Cano will get way underpaid compared to the anticipated contracts for Ellsbury and Choo

If Cano's contract somehow falls into the same range as Ellsbury, absolutely count me in. Based on my standard that "no top level player on the FA market gets less than I think he will", I would be stunned if Cano wasn't a lot higher than those 2.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
If Cano's contract somehow falls into the same range as Ellsbury, absolutely count me in. Based on my standard that "no top level player on the FA market gets less than I think he will", I would be stunned if Cano wasn't a lot higher than those 2.

It's more that we could see Ellsbury get up into the $120M range and Cano more like $175M - whereas 12 months ago it looked like it might be more like $75M and $250M

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 07:39 PM)
It's more that we could see Ellsbury get up into the $120M range and Cano more like $175M - whereas 12 months ago it looked like it might be more like $75M and $250M

I dunno about that...Ellsbury was pretty highly thought of outside of his injury concerns...I don't think many people thought he'd take less than$100 million

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)

Those sound reasonable to me so I'd assume both of them will beat those numbers.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 13m

#Phillies deal w Ruiz pays him $8.5M in each of next three seasons, with a $4.5-M option or $500,000 buyout. Also can block deals to 4 teams

I've heard #RedSox were in Ruiz negotiations right to the end. It appears #Phillies guaranteed 3rd year & hiked AAV to keep him.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 15m

carlos ruiz got a 3 yr deal from phillies, confirmed.agreement reported @Ken_Rosenthal @JimBowdenESPNxm says 26/3

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 28m

BWAHAHAHAHA #AnalyticsPlant RT @magelb: Source: Phillies have re-signed Carlos Ruiz to a three-year, $26 million contract.

Sources have informed Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York that free agent second baseman Robinson Cano is still seeking a 10-year contract worth $310 million.

That's what Cano asked of the Yankees just before this year's All-Star break. New York declined and Cano is highly doubtful to land that record-smashing sum on the open market, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The 31-year-old hit .314/.383/.516 with 27 home runs and 107 RBI in 160 games this summer. He's being represented by Roc Nation Sports and Jay-Z is expected to be intimately involved in his contract negotiations.

per Rotoworld

Good luck with that Mr. Cano