2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Or maybe they know it was just a flukey paper trail that got him caught, and he should be able to cheat to the level he always has without getting caught again, unless he's really, really dumb about it.

dumb like have his friends and agent create a fake vitamin supplier?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
Considering Carlos Silva got this same exact deal 5 years ago, I would definitely say it's a nice deal for the Twins in this free agent environment.

Let's hope that the Twins get the same return on investment that Silva provided ;)

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
I actually meant for major league players.

I actually would not be surprised to see Quintana locked up for a sweetheart club deal similar to what Floyd signed in the past. Something that buys out his arb years and maybe adds options to the end.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Floyd's contract was 4/15.5 and he signed it just prior to the 2009 season. If Quintana signed something like 4/25 or 5/31 I'd be pretty happy in this market.

Quintana has only 1 full year of MLB service time, he has 2 more years pre-arbitration. It makes little sense to sign a deal that doesn't buy out one of those post-arb years so with options you'd be talking about 7+ years. I'd be willing to do so as well, but I don't think the structure works out the way you wrote. At the very least, 4/$25 doesn't make sense as that only covers his first 2 arb years and he's unlikely to make $25 million before then even if he goes to arbitration and wins.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
What was Getz' problem in KC? Did he just never stay healthy?

2009, and 2011 he played over 100 games and had numbers better than Beckham. (other than 2009 anyway)

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=2B

He's never been that good and he hasn't played like a starting MLB 2nd baseman. He's at the point where his salary would start going up from arbitration and there's no reason to pay him more money to be a below-average 2b. You can call up 27 year olds from the minors to do that for minimum salary.

That he's had better numbers than Beckham is an indictment of Beckham more than anything, it shows how bad Beckham has been.

MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 55m

Arencibia Will Be Traded Or Non-Tendered http://dlvr.it/4R1zwy #mlb

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 49m

Sources: #Orioles trying hard to trade Jim Johnson, #Dodgers in mix. Johnson projected to earn more than $10M in arbitration.

Jorge Castillo ‏@jorgeccastillo 47m

The #Mets have non-tendered Omar Quintanilla: http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2013/12/m...ne_looming.html

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 43m

Scott Atchison also has been non-tendered, I'm told. #mets

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 5m

Confirming @Ken_Rosenthal and @JonHeymanCBS reports of Scott Kazmir agreeing to two-year deal with A's. Money will be more than $16M total.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1m

Kazmir agrees to 2yrs $22m deal with A's #Confirmed