2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 55m

What will he cost? One exec suggested Masahiro Tanaka could fetch $100M in posting fee alone. Others: more like $75M. http://yhoo.it/1dyJIEq

$100M plus the baseline 6 yrs/$60M that Darvish got, and we are talking about paying this dude over $25M a year. How insane.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
$100M plus the baseline 6 yrs/$60M that Darvish got, and we are talking about paying this dude over $25M a year. How insane.

The $100 mill is paid up front to the team, and it's just for the right to negotiate. If you don't sign him, you don't pay it. Also, a lot of times the two organizations will work out some kind of deal that is worth the posting fee.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
The $100 mill is paid up front to the team, and it's just for the right to negotiate. If you don't sign him, you don't pay it. Also, a lot of times the two organizations will work out some kind of deal that is worth the posting fee.

Right, I understand how posting works, but that still doesn't mean the team that signs him won't end up essentially paying out $25M a year for his services, regardless of how it's divvied up.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Right, I understand how posting works, but that still doesn't mean the team that signs him won't end up essentially paying out $25M a year for his services, regardless of how it's divvied up.

Right, it's a stupid amount of money.

Marc Topkin ‏@TBTimes_Rays 6h

#Rays, as expected, pick up options on Zobrist ($7M) and Escobar ($5M). Decision Sunday on DeJesus ($6.5M), Monday on Oviedo ($2M).

I liked the DeJesus pick up but I dont know about paying that kinda money to a guy who cant hit lefties.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Red Sox declined Thorntons option...I know a lot of people here hate him, but I wouldn't mind him back as a Loogy.

I dunno on this one...he'd be useful, he could be traded again, he fits in well here, but its not the kind of move I'd make for the long-term...we really do need to be developing some of these younger lefties we have and trying to pull together a couple guys who can be our next generation of LH relievers.

So rumor is that Cubs and DBacks have discussed a Jeff Samardzija trade. Head over to the MLBTR discussion for some hilarious trade offers from Cubs fans.

Here is an ACTUAL comment some one posted. And this part is after he said that the Cubs should trade Samardzija because he isn't so good....

"An offer of Skaggs, Holmberg, Eaton/Pollock, Spruilli and some relievers can make it."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
So rumor is that Cubs and DBacks have discussed a Jeff Samardzija trade. Head over to the MLBTR discussion for some hilarious trade offers from Cubs fans.

Here is an ACTUAL comment some one posted. And this part is after he said that the Cubs should trade Samardzija because he isn't so good....

"An offer of Skaggs, Holmberg, Eaton/Pollock, Spruilli and some relievers can make it."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skaggs is probably better than Samardzija right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
Skaggs is probably better than Samardzija right now.

Right. I wouldn't trade Skaggs OR Bradley for Shark even straight up. A much more realistic trade I'd see would be Holmberg + another prospect for Samardzija.

And if the Dbacks are entertaining an offer of a package around Bradley or Skaggs at all, then Rick needs to dial them up immediately because Q's value should be much higher than Sharks.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 02:26 AM)

More interesting is the part about the Phils and Price.

One, clubs discuss anything and everything at this time of year. And two, the Phils probably cannot acquire Price unless they part with their top pitching prospect, left-hander Jesse Biddle. Outfielder Domonic Brown also could be part of a package, and even then the Phils likely would be outbid by teams with better young players to offer.

Could that be a package that would be offered for Quintana? He isn't quite on Price's level, but he is also under team control for 5 more years, 2 of them pre-arb.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)

Could that be a package that would be offered for Quintana? He isn't quite on Price's level, but he is also under team control for 5 more years, 2 of them pre-arb.

The Sox had interest in Maikel Franco previously with the Phils also interested in De Aza, and these two have worked together before. There could certainly be a match here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)

Swap out Biddle for Franco and I'll be ecstatic.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Swap out Biddle for Franco and I'll be ecstatic.

No way. I like Franco, but he is far too risky a prospect to acquire for Quintana straight up, and frankly, the idea of getting Domonic Brown straight up for Quintana seems silly too.

There's a match and my initial hypothetical package that comes to mind is Quintana and De Aza for Brown, Biddle, and Franco, but that's too much from the Phillies end. Still, there could definitely be pieces that move here.