Center Field

oldsox

I have twice seen reports that the Rockies have CF Dexter Fowler on the trade market. Wonder if Sox would be interested. I've seen him play a lot over the last few years. He certainly has his drawbacks, but he would be an upgrade over De Aza.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the complaining people did about De Aza striking out, Fowler strikes out more often. It would also appear that he struggles just as much as De Aza does in CF. He is also more expensive and is a free agent at the end of the year.

This seems like it would be a poor move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
For all the complaining people did about De Aza striking out, Fowler strikes out more often. It would also appear that he struggles just as much as De Aza does in CF. He is also more expensive and is a free agent at the end of the year.

This seems like it would be a poor move.

Gets on base a lot though. Sexy 13% career walk rate/.365 OBP.

But yeah, from what I understand, his defense limits his value. I'd like him if he wasn't a pending free agent. Not sure what kind of contract he'd command.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Actually, his defense is very good. Covers a lot of ground, gets a good jump, and his arm is very good. Not as good a base stealer as you would expect, but going from first to third or first to home, not many better. Strike outs are a problem and he is a bit streaky for me, but a solid player. Rockies will get offers. They were reluctant to trade him before, but they have two young outfielders who are very promising and they have already talked to Cargo about his taking over in Center. So they are serious this time.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
Actually, his defense is very good. Covers a lot of ground, gets a good jump, and his arm is very good. Not as good a base stealer as you would expect, but going from first to third or first to home, not many better. Strike outs are a problem and he is a bit streaky for me, but a solid player. Rockies will get offers. They were reluctant to trade him before, but they have two young outfielders who are very promising and they have already talked to Cargo about his taking over in Center. So they are serious this time.

According to Fangraphs, his UZR through 5,000 innings so far is -40.6, that is in the range of horrific defender. And his pedestrian offense could actually be beneficiary of the Coors effect.

The only reasonable OF candidate I would want from the NL West is Parra and Chris Denorfia.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
According to Fangraphs, his UZR through 5,000 innings so far is -40.6, that is in the range of horrific defender. And his pedestrian offense could actually be beneficiary of the Coors effect.

The only reasonable OF candidate I would want from the NL West is Parra and Chris Denorfia.

Even the fan reports only show above average rating for his speed and first step. I'm not saying he ISN'T good because I haven't seen him out there, but I'm not seeing anything online to indicate it.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)

Denorfia, as a starter in CF? Really?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
Baseball starts again in March next year?

Thank god. I'm such a white sox crack head.

Yeah, it does, a Sunday @ home vs Twins. Sale vs their electric ace Kevin Correia.

Monday, not Sunday. My bad.

Edited by ChiSoxFan05

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
Thank god. Only four baseball-less months... Technically.

:lol:

At least we have the Bulls/Bears/Hawks, however, there's just this special feeling you get when you watch the White Sox that you don't get when you watch one of the previously listed teams.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
At least we have the Bulls/Bears/Hawks, however, there's just this special feeling you get when you watch the White Sox that you don't get when you watch one of the previously listed teams.

Well said. A good white sox team has no equal. Baseball is the best games that humans have come up with.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)

Yep. The White Sox are on par with...

My pacifier when I was a baby and now, my wife's vagina.

That's about it.

Transparent honesty hour is over. Thank god, you're saved of more madness...

For now.

Edited by hi8is

I've always thought hide the pickle was the best game, but to each their own.

That's a tricky game though. Sometimes you hide the pickle and nobody bothers to come looking for it. Or worse, people you really don't want finding your pickle come looking for it. Sometimes you have to get that pickle out in the open and let the right people know about it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
That's a tricky game though. Sometimes you hide the pickle and nobody bothers to come looking for it. Or worse, people you really don't want finding your pickle come looking for it. Sometimes you have to get that pickle out in the open and let the right people know about it.

Sometimes your favorite team goes 63-99. You win some, you lose some.

Back to CF .Ellsbury I'd take in a heartbeat. Brett Gardner . I've seen defenders and haters on DeAza and maybe he'll bounce back but if it's possible to get value for him I'd say go for it. Jordan Danks could replace him as the 4th outfielder. I've seen Parra mentioned and Juan Ligares is a very good defender also . Carlos Gomez and Colby Ramus had breakout years .Peter Bourjos is 2 injury plagued years removed from his very good 2011 season and could be a buy low candidate.The outfield needs serious attention . You just can't have 2 bad fielders roaming around out there , 3 if you want to count Garcia.

I honestly think the OF will see the biggest changes on the Sox this offseason. Be prepared to see major changes there. If your going to get bad hitting from your outfielders you better get good fielding. Sucking at both is a huge good bye waiting to happen.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
Back to CF .Ellsbury I'd take in a heartbeat. Brett Gardner . I've seen defenders and haters on DeAza and maybe he'll bounce back but if it's possible to get value for him I'd say go for it. Jordan Danks could replace him as the 4th outfielder. I've seen Parra mentioned and Juan Ligares is a very good defender also . Carlos Gomez and Colby Ramus had breakout years .Peter Bourjos is 2 injury plagued years removed from his very good 2011 season and could be a buy low candidate.The outfield needs serious attention . You just can't have 2 bad fielders roaming around out there , 3 if you want to count Garcia.

I honestly think the OF will see the biggest changes on the Sox this offseason. Be prepared to see major changes there. If your going to get bad hitting from your outfielders you better get good fielding. Sucking at both is a huge good bye waiting to happen.

I disagree here. Garcia is a lock for one OF spot and I'm not sure why we wouldn't give Viciedo another opportunity out there given the lack of young talent we currently have in our organization. That leaves De Aza, and while I think Hahn may try to move him if he can get a strong return, he's definitely not just going to give him away. So IMO, they may look for an upgrade in CF but it will all depend on the market for De Aza.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
I disagree here. Garcia is a lock for one OF spot and I'm not sure why we wouldn't give Viciedo another opportunity out there given the lack of young talent we currently have in our organization. That leaves De Aza, and while I think Hahn may try to move him if he can get a strong return, he's definitely not just going to give him away. So IMO, they may look for an upgrade in CF but it will all depend on the market for De Aza.

With the acquisition of Abreu and barring a total flop Viciedo is a DH in waiting . There's just no getting around that. He either starts hitting and soon or he's gone. Nothing is worse for a good pitching staff than bad defense and our's in the OF is atrocious. Your asset is your pitching . I think a quicker than expected turnaround is capabale with a few extra players who can hit and field their positions well.

Pouring over stats has shown me just how rare it is to get positive value for both. We're better off getting great fielders and hoping they develop as hitters at this point with all the 1 run and extra inning loses we had . Better defense and Abreu working out plus another bat like Ellsbury who is also a good fielder will be worth more wins then one might think considering all the close games we lost. My motto going forward is SUPORT OUR PITCHERS . Arguing for guys who didnt hit or field or run particularly well is not something I'd do.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside