Center Field

oldsox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
With the acquisition of Abreu and barring a total flop Viciedo is a DH in waiting . There's just no getting around that. He either starts hitting and soon or he's gone. Nothing is worse for a good pitching staff than bad defense and our's in the OF is atrocious. Your asset is your pitching . I think a quicker than expected turnaround is capabale with a few extra players who can hit and field their positions well.

Pouring over stats has shown me just how rare it is to get positive value for both. We're better off getting great fielders and hoping they develop as hitters at this point with all the 1 run and extra inning loses we had . Better defense and Abreu working out plus another bat like Ellsbury who is also a good fielder will be worth more wins then one might think considering all the close games we lost. My motto going forward is SUPORT OUR PITCHERS . Arguing for guys who didnt hit or field or run particularly well is not something I'd do.

I agree with this post.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well, the Rockies just traded Fowler to Houston for an outfielder Brandon Barnes and a pitcher Jordan Lyles. Not much. I thought Fowler had more value than that. Of course, the two headed GM for the Rox are not the brightest, to put it mildly.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
The Yankees are closing in on a seven-year deal with Jacoby Ellsbury, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. "It could happen," someone familiar with the talks told Heyman. It is believed the deal would top Carl Crawford's $142MM, seven-year deal. from mlbtraderumors

If this happens, I hope Hahn immedietely calls Cano's agents to express some interest. He would solve so many problems offensively it's not even funny. And quite frankly, given our lack of long-term salary committments, I don't see why we couldn't afford him at $25M/year. Obviously the years would have to make sense, which is the biggest issue with a potential Cano signing, but if the Yankees move on then it can't hurt to at least explore it.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
Looks like done deal pending physical for Jacoby and Yankees.

Also in that trade between the A's and Rangers anther very good defensive CF off the board. According to Fangraphs :And then there’s the defense. Over the last three years, here is the UZR/150 leaderboard for players with at least 1,000 innings in center field.

1. Craig Gentry, +30.4

2. A.J. Pollock, +24.2

3. Lorenzo Cain, +23.2

4. Carlos Gomez, +21.0

5. Peter Bourjos, +14.0

Geez Ellsbury just flip flopping from Boston to New York? Baseball is crazy with these big-money teams dominating everybody else. It's a fricking joke. The NFL at least doesn't give a bleep if some smaller city wins. Baseball, it's all about the big markets. At least Chicago's White Sox could act more like a big market team and get in the mix with the other big boys!

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
I mean, if we wanted him we could pay him. But it wouldn't be a good allocation of our resources at the moment

If the budget Hahn has quoted is anywhere close to true, their budget this year is about $90-$100 million. They're already at that number. Signing Cano would push them well past their quoted budget.

Gardner anyone??

Still don't know what to think of ADA...I wanna see him in LF(and lower in the order), but where does that put Tank? If you get rid of Dunn to make room for Dayan at DH, then where does the LH middle of the lineup bat come from?

A Cano signing and a trade for Gardner would be swell. They can then move Dunn for whatever, and go with....

1. Gardner CF

2. Ramirez SS

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cano 2B

5. Garcia RF

6. De Aza LF

7. Viciedo DH

8. Gillaspie 3B

9. Phegley C

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
If the budget Hahn has quoted is anywhere close to true, their budget this year is about $90-$100 million. They're already at that number. Signing Cano would push them well past their quoted budget.

This should alleviate the Granderson talk. Guess all we have is more possible trade speculation/guesstimation.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
Well, the Rockies just traded Fowler to Houston for an outfielder Brandon Barnes and a pitcher Jordan Lyles. Not much. I thought Fowler had more value than that. Of course, the two headed GM for the Rox are not the brightest, to put it mildly.

Sigh. f***.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)

Again, you're assuming Abreu's bonus is included is this year's payroll budget, which has yet to be supported by any sort of evidence. Second, if you add Cano you can turn around and deal Beckham and/or Ramirez and clear a decent amount of payroll pretty easily. Third, we don't know how hard (or even realistic) the rumored payroll budgets are. Seems to me that every offseason we start at one number and end up at a much higher number. And quite frankly, I think Reinsdorf just might be willing to increase the payroll to bit if he could land someone like Cano that might sell some tickets.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:16 PM)
Again, you're assuming Abreu's bonus is included is this year's payroll budget, which has yet to be supported by any sort of evidence. Second, if you add Cano you can turn around and deal Beckham and/or Ramirez and clear a decent amount of payroll pretty easily. Third, we don't know how hard (or even realistic) the rumored payroll budgets are. Seems to me that every offseason we start at one number and end up at a much higher number. And quite frankly, I think Reinsdorf just might be willing to increase the payroll to bit if he could land someone like Cano that might sell some tickets.

Why wouldn't it be? Signing bonuses are almost always paid at signing. The assumption should be that it is this year unless you hear otherwise, and not the otherway around.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)

And if it isn't included...fine, then they have $10 million to spend on a player you'd like to offer $25 million. Dealing beckham doesn't clear much payroll. Ramirez does, but still not a whole lot. And clearing out both Beckham and Ramirez to add Cano...might help with the offense...but then you have the obvious problem of running a rookie SS with 1 month in AAA out there next to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
Why wouldn't it be? Signing bonuses are almost always paid at signing. The assumption should be that it is this year unless you hear otherwise, and not the otherway around.

We're talking about an operating budget, not a cash flow budget. Obviously Abreu is getting paid this year, but that doesn't mean it's not being allocated to Hahn's operating budget (i.e. payroll) in equal installments over the next 6 years. In fact, I would be surprised if that wasnt the case to be honest with you.