Sox hire Todd Steverson as their new hitting coach

Boopa1219

Who do you want to be the team's next hitting coach?

Since Rick Hahn stated that whoever the next hitting coach will be that his philosophy will be preached throughout the entire organization, I am hoping for Rudy Jamarillo to be hired, he was behind some of the most dynamic offense in MLB over the past 15 years during his time with the Astros and Rangers.

As a hitting coach he preaches five steps: seeing the ball, rhythm, separation, staying square and weight shift-transfer. And if this taught throughout the organization, it will really help guys like Courtney Hawkins to realize their skills at the plate.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard of Berwyn @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
How about Charlie Manuel with Jim Thome as assistant, eventually taking over for Manuel.

I think Manuel's health is a big issue for him anymore. He would be good, but i just dont know that he could do it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I think Manuel's health is a big issue for him anymore. He would be good, but i just dont know that he could do it.

He wants to manage, so I take that as he thinks he's physically capable right now. The question to me would be how long? If he is up for doing it for 2 or 3 years and can groom a guy like Thome, it makes some sense IMO.

One thing I found interesting in the Hahn conference call last week was when he was asked about Thome, he really couldn't describe much about what he actually was doing for the Sox other than making appearances in the minor leagues and talking to them. Not really instructing, but more just talking to them, giving them the I just talked to a future HOFer experience. What made it curious is Thome's title. Special Assistant to the GM.

Edited by Dick Allen

In a past interview with the Modesto Bee, Steverson talked about his aggressive philosophy for hitters at the plate.

"You don't want passive hitters. You want people that do know the strike zone and are able to put a good swing on a ball in the strike zone. That's still the philosophy, to swing at strikes," Steverson said. "There's a difference between being on the offense and being on the defense when you are in the box.

"I want all my hitters to be on the offense when they stand in there. And that includes when you get your pitch -- when you get the ball across the plate as a strike -- give it what you got. You don't want to leave home plate saying, 'I could have, should have, would have' or whatever like that. You only get four [at-bats] a day, or how many you get in a week or a month, so you have to go out there and give it all you got every time. Under-control aggression is a good way to put it."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
I like it and like the mentality that he brings.

Swing aggressively at pitches in the zone, and don't swing at pitches out of the zone. You can't ask a guy to do any more than that.

He's also from the Oakland system, so that can't be a bad thing.