Sox hire Todd Steverson as their new hitting coach

Boopa1219

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/new-wh...n-creative-type

Steverson, who will be announced officially next week, was the Oakland A's minor-league hitting coordinator and also previously managed within the organization from 2005-08.

He made headlines in July 2012 when he was banned by the California League from the dugout for a full year.

Steverson, filling in as the interim manager of the Class-A Stockton Ports, ordered his pitcher -- a position player -- to intentionally balk three times to end a June 23 game in the 18th inning. Steverson, understanding the low levels of the minor leagues are more about development than winning, was worried about the health of his players.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
I generally agree that the preaching of patience at the major league with veterans will most likely not change them. However, this hire was made to have an impact on the minor league system to have a common philosophy taught and preached throughout the organization. That's why this is a big move in my opinion.

Do hitting coaches often coordinate the instruction to the minor leagues? Or are you talking more about how this is a symbolic shift.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)

I love that. It's the best and only thing I've read about this guy so far that has interested me.

Of course this doesn't matter though if he's with the major league club, but that's the right attitude to have as a minor league coach, IMO. Winning is 2nd to development of the prospects. Ask any prospect if they would rather improve themselves and increase their chances of making the big leagues, or winning their minor league division, and I think you'll see the same answers.

I'm going to say that we don't know anything about this guy. Basically, his public statements tell us that he believes in swinging at good pitches and taking bad ones. Great. We know he'd make a great little league parent. Beyond that, everything is TBD

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...cuban-precedent

As for the widely-reported hiring of Ted Steverson as the White Sox’s new hitting coach, Ventura said he would wait for that move to become official before making a comment.

Ventura did say that he took an active role in the process to bring aboard the new coach.

“I was doing interviews,” Ventura said. “Rick kind of had been doing the early ones and when you narrow things down you start doing more interviews. I was definitely involved in it.”

The org wants high OBP, yet we fill the roster with free swingers.

Yeah, this has been my beef for a long time. Individually, none of AJ, Viciedo, or Alexei are necessarily bad players, but putting them together in a lineup created massive problems.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Yeah, this has been my beef for a long time. Individually, none of AJ, Viciedo, or Alexei are necessarily bad players, but putting them together in a lineup created massive problems.

Some guys see pitches by hacking, which is fine. But I am not sure we have many if any of those in this lineup.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 2m

Hahn on new White Sox hitting coach Todd Steverson: "Impressed with his clear and simple swing mechanics. He was our unanimous choice."

Unanimous choice after Kenny Williams told them that's who they're hiring.