Quintana Trade Value

Marty34

I think one of the more interesting things this offseason will be trying to find out the trade value of Quintana. It's difficult to find a good match of a team with young hitters that needs a very good, cheap left-handed pitcher. My thinking is deal Quintana, back fill his rotation spot with a middling free-agent (Josh Johnson?) short-term and look at a long-term solution (Jeff Hoffman?) with the #3 pick. Any ideas as to what would be an acceptable return for Quintana?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
We can always trade Quintana, and I am sure his trade value will never be higher. Then again, it signals that we plan on perpetual rebuilding, and there is no point is seeing this team until next decade.

How so? I't's dealing from a strength to fill a weakness or two.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
How so? I't's dealing from a strength to fill a weakness or two.

Yea but you are dealing one of the two pitchers that are way above average. I understand your point but I guess I hope that some GM is in love with Hector's upside.

Danks, Johnson and Rienzo could all be really really bad next year. Hector and Q too. Q is the surest bet behind Sale tho.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Jeff Hoffman, Ubaldo Jimenez, Matt Garza, etc...

You don't trade Peavy to sign Jimenez or Garza. Those guys would be terrible acquisitions, ESPECIALLY with the Sox ability to develop starting pitchers

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
With the group of young starters the Sox have, I might rather deal Quintana and fill multiple positions, sign a free-agent starter and save an estimated $35-$40M.

I'm saying that I'm not going to sign either Jimenez or Garza and that I'd rather go into the year with Sale, Quintana/Santiago, Johnson, Danks, and Rienzo. Garza is a rather overrated pitcher who rates closer to a #3-4 starter than anything else and Ubaldo Jimenez has this tendency to throw incredibly well for about 15 starts at a time while following it up with 75 starts of pure s***. As I said already, I have no problem shopping Quintana or Santiago and if you don't get exactly what you want, you don't deal them.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Our pitching depth is grossly overstated on this board. We should not be looking to trade Santiago or Q unless we bet blown away by an offer. You trade one, and a strength is no longer a strength.

Personally I think you are grossly understating our pitching depth, and I think the right move, if available, could take advantage of that. It's a gamble but it's the kind of gamble I'd consider if I were in Hahns chair.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Personally I think you are grossly understating our pitching depth, and I think the right move, if available, could take advantage of that. It's a gamble but it's the kind of gamble I'd consider if I were in Hahns chair.

If they do trade a starter, I think it's more than likely they sign a free agent to compete for a spot in the rotation. I don't think it would be a big money guy, but a guy like Johnson could make some sense depending on health.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
If they do trade a starter, I think it's more than likely they sign a free agent to compete for a spot in the rotation. I don't think it would be a big money guy, but a guy like Johnson could make some sense depending on health.

If it were me again...if I traded a starter the guy I'd look to sign is Gavin Floyd. I think he's unlikely to be ready to pitch before mid-season and that gives the 2 rookies in the rotation plenty of time to see what they have.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)

I think Johnson is going to get paid more than we think he should. More realistic is probably a guy like Dan Haren.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
If it were me again...if I traded a starter the guy I'd look to sign is Gavin Floyd. I think he's unlikely to be ready to pitch before mid-season and that gives the 2 rookies in the rotation plenty of time to see what they have.

I believe they will work something out with Gavin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)

Please explain where all this pitching depth is.

It would take a ton to get me to trade Quintana if I'm Rick Hahn. We're talking about a 25 year left-handed starter who will be under team control for 5 more years coming off a 3.7 WAR season. I'd want a major league position player of similar value plus a top pitching propsect. I doubt anyone bites on that, but the point is I'd want to be overwhelmed to move him.