Quintana Trade Value

Marty34

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
What can you folks tell us about this Aaron Sanchez, other than the fact that he is a chef on the Food Network? ;)

Blue Jays top prospect and the 20th prospect in the whole league, big 6'4" RHP. Just 21 years old and he pitched a full season in A+ last year, probably starts the year in AA.

His pure stuff is outstanding, with a plus fastball and an outstanding curve to give him as good a one-two punch as any pitching prospect. His changeup projects to be at least an average offering. He throws downhill and there’s room for him to add some strength. Sanchez needs to cut down on his walk rate to succeed as he moves up, but he has all the makings of a frontline starter if that happens as the Blue Jays start to take the kid gloves off.

Getting him AND Lawrie for Quintana would be incredible.

Edited by scs787

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
Blue Jays top prospect and the 20th prospect in the whole league, big 6'4" RHP. Just 21 years old and he pitched a full season in A+ last year, probably starts the year in AA.

Getting him AND Lawrie for Quintana would be incredible.

I guess I would listen to the scouts. If they were insistent on Lawrie bouncing back and this kid really having a solid chance to be a #1 or 2, then I'd probably try to squeak out another prospect from them, and if I could get that, I'd probably pull the trigger.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I guess I would listen to the scouts. If they were insistent on Lawrie bouncing back and this kid really having a solid chance to be a #1 or 2, then I'd probably try to squeak out another prospect from them, and if I could get that, I'd probably pull the trigger.

Before I'd make that deal, I'd have to see who the best hitter 26 or under Quintana could bring back regardless of position. I'd think it would have to be better than Lawrie.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Before I'd make that deal, I'd have to see who the best hitter 26 or under Quintana could bring back regardless of position. I'd think it would have to be better than Lawrie.

Yeah, for sure. Have to do your due diligence.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)

Like who? I can't think of any that would be realistic for Quintana. Pitching is way easier to find than hitting in the current offensive environment, I think you have to pick someone with a little of the shine worn off like Lawrie.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
Like who? I can't think of any that would be realistic for Quintana. Pitching is way easier to find than hitting in the current offensive environment, I think you have to pick someone with a little of the shine worn off like Lawrie.

If Q gets you Lawrie AND the 20th overall prospect in all of baseball you should be able to get a higher caliber player than Lawrie(sans the prospect of course)....But the question, like you said, is who's available?

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Does anyone really believe Toronto would do that deal? Just because Bucket posted it doesn't mean Toronto's interested it just means it was talked about.

I can't believe how much trading for Lawrie has heated up though over the months.

You can say the same thing with any rumored deal, no matter who it comes from....Toronto needs pitching bad and with all the money they took on last year they probably don't have the money to pay for it....Getting back Sanchez would be a bit of a surprise to me but that could just be the starting point...I'd take Lawrie and Aaron Loup+ instead if they don't wanna give up Sanchez.

Edited by scs787

Gillaspie and Lawrie were pretty much the same last year. Conor is 2.5 years older and a LH ,which we need, and is one of the few Sox who works the count well.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/sanc...-arizona-video/ Sanchez AFL video ,Jays #3 prospect according to BB America.

If we're going to trade Q how about Kendrick and the switch hitting catcher Conger from the Angels for Q and Beckham ? We upgrade 2 positions that way.

Hell make it a blockbuster with the Angels give them a choice of Phegley or Flowers and get Bourjos too .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
Some rumors are advantageous for one team in the slightest, some rumors are advantageous for one team completely. I don't understand your point, "you can say the same thing about any rumored deal" no s***? Does that need to be said? I am simply saying we would be fleecing Toronto in Quintana for Lawrie and Sanchez.

I don't think it would be a fleecing at all. Lawrie hasn't done much in the 2 years since his big impact rookie season. He does have youth on his side and Sanchez though highly rated may end up being nothing. He's only played as high as A+ and his K rate dropped below one an inning from A to A+. Your #2 pitcher for a Beckham like 3rd baseman and a pitching prospect in A ball ,even a good one ,isn't a fleecing.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
Some rumors are advantageous for one team in the slightest, some rumors are advantageous for one team completely. I don't understand your point, "you can say the same thing about any rumored deal" no s***? Does that need to be said? I am simply saying we would be fleecing Toronto in Quintana for Lawrie and Sanchez.

How good do you think Lawrie will be? As has been pointed out earlier in this thread he has regressed. He's a risky proposition to trade a burgeoning starter like Quintana for.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)

My point is there's no reason to kill the fun =p.

Like I said Lawrie/Sanchez could just be the starting point that they're talking about right now. Lawrie has some potential but for the past 2 years he hasn't been much better than Conor Gillaspie, and he's also been hurt the last 2 years. I wouldn't put too much stock in him right now. Quintana has enough of a track record that I don't think this deal is toooo crazy. Jake Peavy had a worse year last year, is 8 years older, and costs a s*** ton more and he got us Avisail Garcia who would have been a top 40 prospect if he was eligible. If Toronto believes he's a front of the rotation starter who's gonna be cheap as s*** for years to come I think something around the Lawrie/Sanchez deal is feasible, probably a little less but it would certainly get us Lawrie and another good piece or 2.

I think some people are undervaluing Lawrie here. Yes, he wasn't great last year, but he only turns 24 in January and has incredible tools. And even in 2012, which was a failure compared to his initial call-up, he was still able to put up a 2.5 WAR. I'm not saying you move Quintana for him straight-up, but if you can get a starting pitching prospect like Sanchez as well then you have to strongly consider the deal. Young 3B with elite potential are not easy to come by and this may be the type of gamble we need to take to fix this offense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
I think some people are undervaluing Lawrie here. Yes, he wasn't great last year, but he only turns 24 in January and has incredible tools. And even in 2012, which was a failure compared to his initial call-up, he was still able to put up a 2.5 WAR. I'm not saying you move Quintana for him straight-up, but if you can get a starting pitching prospect like Sanchez as well then you have to strongly consider the deal. Young 3B with elite potential are not easy to come by and this may be the type of gamble we need to take to fix this offense.

I think some people are undervaluing our #2 starter. Q got even better his his 2nd full year when everyone didn't think he could repeat his 1st year. Lawrie hasnt done much for 2 years and when baseball has cracked down on PED's you have to look at any reduced production with a very discerning eye. Sure it could've been injuries or him not adjusting to pitchers adjustments to him but still his production is concerning.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
What would be interesting to see is if they do acquire Lawrie could they possible move him to 2B, leaving the left handed Gillaspie in the lineup? I'm reading multiple reports saying Toronto might have plans to move him there so it's a possibility.

Toronto has some of the same needs we do at C and 2nd base. That's why I want to pursue Kendricks,Conger, Bourjos from the Angels before Toronto does.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
I think some people are undervaluing our #2 starter. Q got even better his his 2nd full year when everyone didn't think he could repeat his 1st year. Lawrie hasnt done much for 2 years and when baseball has cracked down on PED's you have to look at any reduced production with a very discerning eye. Sure it could've been injuries or him not adjusting to pitchers adjustments to him but still his production is concerning.

For real, people are undervaluing Q.

A staff led by Sale and Q can go along way.

Plus, he is the Flying Serpent.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 23, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
Could be Quintana to Toronto for 3B Lawrie and RHP Aaron Sanchez.

This is exactly what I would be hoping for.

Q is more certain to be a 3+ WAR player, but Lawrie has the chance to bust out and be a 5+ WAR player at a thin position

Edited by Jake