Quintana Trade Value

Marty34

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
First off, not to be a dick, but it's Kendrick, no 's'. Second, why would you want him to be a big piece back for Quintana?

He's already 30 years old, is only under contract for two more years at fairly large rates, and most importantly plays an easy position to fill and one where we actually have a decent amount of depth in the organization. He's a good player no doubt and the age doesn't really bother me as much as it would others, but I don't how he makes any sense as a long-term fit, especially at the expense of one of our best assets.

I never said Kendrick would be a long term fit. Not all acquisitions have to fit in that category. He'd be easy to move at the trade deadline and provide value while he's with us. If we get Kendrick I'd want Conger or Bourjos or both who do fit long term. I want ML pieces and to trade our ML pieces. Throw out names to the Angels like Flowers, Phegley, Beckham, Viciedo, Santiago, Johnson, Rienzo, DeAza, Keppinger, Gillaspie. I'd give them any of those but only one pitcher in a 5 or 4 for 3 trade and we end up with 3 offensively and defensively better players than we had last year. Then the lineup is looking pretty decent without taking on that much more salary. Sign Ellsbury and maybe'were still around $100M payroll with anoher 4 position upgrades and more talent . I havent done the math so I'm guessing. Something could be worked out if the Angels didnt want to give up all 3 .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Aaron Sanchez is damn near untouchable. They moved top guys like Syndergaard and Nicolino and DeSclafani last offseason to get a Cy Young winner. Sanchez isn't going anywhere unless the Jays are getting a Felix Hernandez type.

His fastball sits at about 97 and is rated among the best in all of MiLB and he's got nasty secondary stuff too.

I've read it's in the 94-96 range and as I mentioned earlier his K rate dropped to under 1 per inning when he made the jump from A to A+ . I think a guy with a 97 heater and nasty secondary stuff could K at least 1 an inning in A+.

This may sound blasphemous to some, but Mark is a better pitcher than Q and will have the better career. Q is good and I like him, but Mark is the master. He's been damn amazing.

Q has the potential to be better than Mark, but he has a very long way to go to get there.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
I've read it's in the 94-96 range and as I mentioned earlier his K rate dropped to under 1 per inning when he made the jump from A to A+ . I think a guy with a 97 heater and nasty secondary stuff could K at least 1 an inning in A+.

If that's the barometer, Q's strikeout rate dropped drastically from Rookie ball to A ball. He went from fanning 11 or 12 per 9, to less than 8.

The more I read about Sanchez, the more it occurs the Sox would have to come up with a lot more than Q to get him and Lawrie.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
This may sound blasphemous to some, but Mark is a better pitcher than Q and will have the better career. Q is good and I like him, but Mark is the master. He's been damn amazing.

"Is" implies present tense, which makes the post 100% false. Mark WAS a better pitcher than Q at his peak, and Quintana has a ways to go to get there. That does NOT mean that Quintana doesn't have a lot of value.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
If that's the barometer, Q's strikeout rate dropped drastically from Rookie ball to A ball. He went from fanning 11 or 12 per 9, to less than 8.

The more I read about Sanchez, the more it occurs the Sox would have to come up with a lot more than Q to get him and Lawrie.

Q never was reported to have a 97 mph heater and nasty secondary stuff. If he did the Yankees never would've let him get away.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)

We'll have to wait about 10 years to see if this is true. Right now, Quintana is a better pitcher, but if you compare their careers so far, it's not even close...mainly because Buehrle has pitched a lot longer than Qunitana has. Quintana has the potential to be good to very good, and I think he could end up having a career like Mark's.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Buehrle of '01-'05 is better than Quintana ever can be. Yeah he didn't strike out many dudes but he could get you out on 4 different pitches and every fifth you were nearly guaranteed to get 6-7 innings. You guys are crazy if you think Quintana can be as good as Buehrle was.

Buehrle hasn't had a season where he threw under 200 innings since 2000. (His rookie season where he started 3 games.) He has made 30 starts every year and 200 IP since. He is the epitome of durable and the anomaly of starting pitching.

All he really has to do is become more efficient and thus go deeper into games which = more innings.

Q had a 3.51 era. Buehrle has only been lower than that twice in his career.

Q had a 1.22 Whip. Buehrle has only been lower than that 3 times.

Hits per 9 of 8.5, Buerhle only best that mark once.

7.4 K/9 was never bested by Mark.

I just want to throw it out there that Mike Rosenbaum had a year end top 100 prospect ranking and had Aaron Johnson 44 and Marcus Stroman another BJ pitcher (AA) at 46. Rosenbaum is admittedly a White Sox fan but didn't have Erik Johnson in the top 100 but said he'd be in the top 110.

I don't see how a guy who put up a low 2's ERA in AA a mid 1's ERA in AAA came to the ML's and pitched decently isn't listed higher than those 2 Blue Jays. Anyone want to take a stab at explaining that to me ? He qualified for the list since he didn't pitch more than 50 innings at the ML level. I know rankings are subjective but omitting Johnson seems ridiculous.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
I just want to throw it out there that Mike Rosenbaum had a year end top 100 prospect ranking and had Aaron Johnson 44 and Marcus Stroman another BJ pitcher (AA) at 46. Rosenbaum is admittedly a White Sox fan but didn't have Erik Johnson in the top 100 but said he'd be in the top 110.

I don't see how a guy who put up a low 2's ERA in AA a mid 1's ERA in AAA came to the ML's and pitched decently isn't listed higher than those 2 Blue Jays. Anyone want to take a stab at explaining that to me ? He qualified for the list since he didn't pitch more than 50 innings at the ML level. I know rankings are subjective but omitting Johnson seems ridiculous.

White sox prospect rules.

A good conversion for our ranked guys is probably to subtract 75 from the spot they're put at. Our system gets no respect but keeps churning out big leaguers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
White sox prospect rules.

A good conversion for our ranked guys is probably to subtract 75 from the spot they're put at. Our system gets no respect but keeps churning out big leaguers.

Not even from our own fans but Kiley McDaniel did put EJ at 37 in his late August listing. http://sbb.scout.com/2/1319654.html

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)

I know the Dunedin broadcaster - and know the Jays organization REALLY well. He's not going anywhere. Not for Quintana, at least. Sanchez had a few lingering injury issues, plus the Jays REALLY limit pitch counts and slow-play their young arms.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)

Aaron Sanchez is one of the elite power arms in all of minor league baseball. He's incredibly polished for his age, and the number of scouts who talk about how "easy" his fastball looks is pretty remarkable. I've never heard a negative about the kid from any scouts.

And Stroman is MLB ready. Great numbers at AA and had he not been suspended 50 games, he might already be in the bigs. Stroman is the real deal. He surprised a lot of people with some dominant outings this season.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Aaron Sanchez is one of the elite power arms in all of minor league baseball. He's incredibly polished for his age, and the number of scouts who talk about how "easy" his fastball looks is pretty remarkable. I've never heard a negative about the kid from any scouts.

And Stroman is MLB ready. Great numbers at AA and had he not been suspended 50 games, he might already be in the bigs. Stroman is the real deal. He surprised a lot of people with some dominant outings this season.

Well if Sanchez is that talented, why are they going to give him and Lawrie up for Quintana?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)

His walk totals are kind of scary, but also the type of thing the Sox seem to specialize in.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Well if Sanchez is that talented, why are they going to give him and Lawrie up for Quintana?

I kinda doubt that they do. They may be talking about said deal, but that's probably just the starting point.

Not to "downgrade" bucket as a source but I'm curious if Rock is hearing some of the same chatter.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
I kinda doubt that they do. They may be talking about said deal, but that's probably just the starting point.

Not to "downgrade" bucket as a source but I'm curious if Rock is hearing some of the same chatter.

I'm sure there are a lot of things being discussed. The idea that the Sox are only discussing this one deal amongst their entire front office is silly. What's more likely is that the Sox are looking at this type of deal if they are to deal Quintana. Regardless of any of that, we won't hear about it until November anyways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
I'm sure there are a lot of things being discussed. The idea that the Sox are only discussing this one deal amongst their entire front office is silly. What's more likely is that the Sox are looking at this type of deal if they are to deal Quintana. Regardless of any of that, we won't hear about it until November anyways.

+1

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Do you think that Quintana could net either Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler, Albert Almora or Javier Baez?

Possibly one of them, though again, it isn't what the Sox need. They need a major league 3B, or someone who will be ready to take a shot at the majors this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Possibly one of them, though again, it isn't what the Sox need. They need a major league 3B, or someone who will be ready to take a shot at the majors this year.

Why this year and why only 3B? I think the Sox need a hitter more than the need a 3B.