Quintana Trade Value

Marty34

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
Still doesn't mean it can't happen, I mean, none of the s*** we discuss here will ever happen anyway. It's just things to day dream about.

But trading for the #2 pick in the draft as a PTBNL isn't anywhere near the realm of possibility.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Possibly one of them, though again, it isn't what the Sox need. They need a major league 3B, or someone who will be ready to take a shot at the majors this year.

If you could have one of them, who would it be.

I am torn between Bryant and Almora. Bryant can be that monster in the middle of the order, who can play 3B for the White Sox and be that middle of the order bat for the next 10+ years. And Almora could be the White Sox version of Derek Jeter, and a dynamic and versatile #2 hitter.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)

I am torn between Bryant and Almora. Bryant can be that monster in the middle of the order, who can play 3B for the White Sox and be that middle of the order bat for the next 10+ years. And Almora could be the White Sox version of Derek Jeter, and a dynamic and versatile #2 hitter.

The most important part by far is which one has the higher chance of busting? You haven't spelled that out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Possibly one of them, though again, it isn't what the Sox need. They need a major league 3B, or someone who will be ready to take a shot at the majors this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
The most important part by far is which one has the higher chance of busting? You haven't spelled that out.

I think that Soler, who I am very high on has the highest chance of busting amongst the core Cubs prospects. I would say Bryant is more of a sure thing because he is closer to majors than Almora.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)

You can't trade Chris Sale for "could be".

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
Not that I am for trading Quintana, I am very curious as to what the best prospect package we could receive for him.

Me too. I also want to know the best young MLB position player we could get straight up for him.

According to fan graphs, only 8 guys 24 or younger put up over 3 WAR seasons, in this order:

Harvey 6.1

Sale 5.1

Fernandez 4.2

Quintana 3.7

Bumgardner 3.7

Corbin 3.7

Strasburg 3.2

Porcello 3.2

How do we find a comparable hitter? The same search for batters comes up with plenty of interesting names. Quintana was the 4th best young pitcher by WAR.

I'm pulling for Arenado+ from the Rockies if we trade him. That guy might have an "it" factor about him.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)

Once again, I wish we could come up with a middle of the order left handed bat. Bryant is another right handed hitter.

What a strange circumstance, in which the Sox find themselves; too many lefties in the starting rotation, and no left handed hitters in sight.

The only potential impact, left handed bat appears to be Barnum, if he flops, where will they find one?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
Once again, I wish we could come up with a middle of the order left handed bat. Bryant is another right handed hitter.

What a strange circumstance, in which the Sox find themselves; too many lefties in the starting rotation, and no left handed hitters in sight.

The only potential impact, left handed bat appears to be Barnum, if he flops, where will they find one?

You_need_to_stop.gif

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
You_need_to_stop.gif

I'm sorry "Jordan", I just can't help myself. Apparently, a good left handed hitter seems to be the most rare and elusive commodity around here.

Everyone on this board just keeps clamoring for this guy, or that guy, and they are almost always right handed. Geez!!! It's just frustrating.

Garcia, Abreu, Viciedo, Thompson, Hawkins, and they'll probably draft Gatewood (I hope so)

If they trade Quintana, it better be for a good left handed bat. Ok. Now I'll "stop already".

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
I'm sorry "Jordan", I just can't help myself. Apparently, a good left handed hitter seems to be the most rare and elusive commodity around here.

Everyone on this board just keeps clamoring for this guy, or that guy, and they are almost always right handed. Geez!!! It's just frustrating.

Garcia, Abreu, Viciedo, Thompson, Hawkins, and they'll probably draft Gatewood (I hope so)

If they trade Quintana, it better be for a good left handed bat. Ok. Now I'll "stop already".

Man that 05 team was garbage right? Only going into the season with AJ and Pods as the only LH starters, for shame. I don't have their record that year at hand but I bet they didn't contend!!

Reality is the Sox need the best hitter they can get regardless of what side of the plate he hits from. I understand the whole "The AL Central is filled with RHP so we need more LH hitters to combat that" but good RH bats hit RHP too.

A guy like Brett Lawrie, who has been discussed here, is a RH bat but last year, and in his rookie year(what you hope he turns back to) he actually hit RHP better than he did LHP.

The only thing the Sox don't want is a right handed platoon player, one that can only hit LHP

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)

Brett Gardner, Ellsbury,Choo, Hank Conger, Gerardo Parra. There are names that pop up every now and then . Trouble is some the best LH batters are either 1st basemen or terrible fielders. So maybe Hahn will make a strong play for Ellsbury or Choo if they don't accept qualifying offers.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
Man that 05 team was garbage right? Only going into the season with AJ and Pods as the only LH starters, for shame. I don't have their record that year at hand but I bet they didn't contend!!

Reality is the Sox need the best hitter they can get regardless of what side of the plate he hits from. I understand the whole "The AL Central is filled with RHP so we need more LH hitters to combat that" but good RH bats hit RHP too.

A guy like Brett Lawrie, who has been discussed here, is a RH bat but last year, and in his rookie year(what you hope he turns back to) he actually hit RHP better than he did LHP.

The only thing the Sox don't want is a right handed platoon player, one that can only hit LHP

What you hope he returns to is an understatement considering last year in which he hit righties better than lefties was nothing to write home about because of injuries and general ineffectiveness . You can't find him in the top 20 3rd basemen in any statistical category against righties. At least Gillaspie is usually in the top 10-15 in some of those stats.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Several of you make good points regarding the need for good hitters, regardless of from which side of the plate they bat. And it is true that there are some rare right handed hitters who actually hit righties better than lefties. Moreover, the whole issue is less important at the top and bottom of the order. However, when focusing upon the middle of the order, it is just not nearly as advantageous to have all right handed hitters. We have discussed that in previous threads. Pitchers can much more easily get into a groove, when facing a lineup consisting of so many guys hitting from the same side of the box. Managers do not have to burn through the bullpen by trying to match relievers to hitters, late in the game. And then, as one of you reiterated one of my previous points, there just aren't that many tough lefties in the American League, especially in our division. Yes, the Sox won it all in '05, with only A. J. and Everett in the middle of the order, and neither of them were that good vs. RHP. However, that team did not win because of its offense. Can any of you honestly argue that it is not important to find at least one potent left handed hitter for the middle of the line up?

I suspect that Hahn agrees with my thinking, and that rumors of acquisitions such as Granderson or McCann are precisely based upon the obvious need for a good left handed, middle of the order hitter. Unfortunately, I don't think that either of those guys would be worth the money, or be all that great. Now, if you're talking about giving up your #2 starter, who is cost controlled for a few years, I don't think you do it unless you can get that potent left handed bat.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 03:49 AM)
Several of you make good points regarding the need for good hitters, regardless of from which side of the plate they bat. And it is true that there are some rare right handed hitters who actually hit righties better than lefties. Moreover, the whole issue is less important at the top and bottom of the order. However, when focusing upon the middle of the order, it is just not nearly as advantageous to have all right handed hitters. We have discussed that in previous threads. Pitchers can much more easily get into a groove, when facing a lineup consisting of so many guys hitting from the same side of the box. Managers do not have to burn through the bullpen by trying to match relievers to hitters, late in the game. And then, as one of you reiterated one of my previous points, there just aren't that many tough lefties in the American League, especially in our division. Yes, the Sox won it all in '05, with only A. J. and Everett in the middle of the order, and neither of them were that good vs. RHP. However, that team did not win because of its offense. Can any of you honestly argue that it is not important to find at least one potent left handed hitter for the middle of the line up?

I suspect that Hahn agrees with my thinking, and that rumors of acquisitions such as Granderson or McCann are precisely based upon the obvious need for a good left handed, middle of the order hitter. Unfortunately, I don't think that either of those guys would be worth the money, or be all that great. Now, if you're talking about giving up your #2 starter, who is cost controlled for a few years, I don't think you do it unless you can get that potent left handed bat.

I suspect that yes Hahn is looking for a LHH but you don't limit yourself to that.

I like how you mention Granderson as a potent left handed bat but yet you apparently don't think Adam Dunn is that guy. They are virtually the same hitter.

Like it or not Adam Dunn is a middle of the lineup bat, he still makes managers "burn through their bullpen".

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 07:01 AM)
I suspect that yes Hahn is looking for a LHH but you don't limit yourself to that.

I like how you mention Granderson as a potent left handed bat but yet you apparently don't think Adam Dunn is that guy. They are virtually the same hitter.

Like it or not Adam Dunn is a middle of the lineup bat, he still makes managers "burn through their bullpen".

By "potent" I meant that he is a power hitter. However, as I said, he isn't all that great. I don't like either Granderson or Dunn in the middle of the order.

Unfortunately, that might be the best that we'll be able to come up with.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 28, 2013 -> 07:10 AM)
By "potent" I meant that he is a power hitter. However, as I said, he isn't all that great. I don't like either Granderson or Dunn in the middle of the order.

Unfortunately, that might be the best that we'll be able to come up with.

We saw in 2012 that you can compete with Adam Dunn as your LH middle of the lineup bat. It just so happened that he and Paulie were hurt down the stretch. Dunn is fine, he still "strikes fear" in managers in late game situations vs RHP.

There aren't many LH middle of the lineup hitters who will be available.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Danks and Santiago are already in the rotation. You are still creating a hole and weakening the rotation.

That's going to happen for whatever trade the Sox make that returns value.

Edited by Marty34