Ozzie still out begging for a job

southsider2k5

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/ozzi...-229098401.html

Former Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has made clear he'd like to manage another baseball franchise. But he said Wednesday he'd also consider coaching, even for a team whose fans he once called "stupid."

"The only place I coach this year or next year would have to be Cubs or Sox, because I don’t want to move out of my house," Guillen said before Game 1 of the World Series at Fenway Park.

Guillen currently works as an analyst for ESPN and ESPN Desportes, a job he took after the Miami Marlins fired him as manager in 2012 with three years remaining on his contract. But before that he managed the White Sox, a tenure that included the team's 2005 World Series win.

The Sox have a hitting coach opening, but Guillen isn't interested in that position because it doesn't fit his skill set. The Chicago Tribune notes that the Cubs are looking for more bilingual instructors on their staff, and Guillen said he'd be open to coaching third base for the north side team.

He was a third base coach for the Miami Marlins when that team won the 2003 World Series.

"If I get that job as a coach, my job will be to make sure to get the players ready to play for the manager every day. With the people [the Cubs] have in the minor leagues, it's a [good fit] for a Latino coach or manager. They have their plans. [President of Baseball Operations] Theo Epstein knows what he's doing. They have their plans and go about their plans," he was quoted by the Tribune as saying.

Still, he said he's not holding his breath waiting for a call from Cubs management.

"I respect them, and they don’t have to call me because I live in Chicago and I’m Ozzie Guillen," he said. "If they think I deserve a shot, I’m waiting for, and if not then I still respect the organization."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/ozzi...l#ixzz2if6J5ePk

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a Spanish speaking poster could give better insight, but I have heard more than once that Ozzie's Spanish is about as bad as his English.

The overwhelming majority of Spanish speakers in America are Mexican, while the overwhelming majority of Spanish speakers in MLB are not Mexican, so I imagine there are the same dialect difficulties as we might have understanding Australians.

I could list 20 reasons why Ozzie is a good fit to coach again, but you probably don't want to hear them.

Don't discount the value of a guy who has won the big prize. As good as Leyland is, he couldn't get a ring with the Tigers though he got one earlier than that. Ron Washington? It's not easy to do.

At least when Ozzie got to the big series, the World Series, he took care of business. Had we not won in our one-and-done appearance we'd still be without a WS title since the dark ages with none in sight.

Personally I respect the ring and Mr. Mouth has one!!!! No matter what u guys think of him.

And he's not begging for a job; he's smart to answer questions pointing out he wants back in.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Don't discount the value of a guy who has won the big prize. As good as Leyland is, he couldn't get a ring with the Tigers though he got one earlier than that.

You just talked yourself in the smallest, most efficient circle I've ever seen.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Personally I respect the ring and Mr. Mouth has one!!!! No matter what u guys think of him.

Really?

So, if you're a jackass and you win a title, you get a pass? But, if you're a great guy but never win, you're not worth a second glance?

Tony Gwynn and Ryne Sandberg are less than Lenny Dykstra and Jose Canseco?

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
Really?

So, if you're a jackass and you win a title, you get a pass? But, if you're a great guy but never win, you're not worth a second glance?

Tony Gwynn and Ryne Sandberg are less than Lenny Dykstra and Jose Canseco?

I'm talking about as a manager; it's not easy to win the big prize. He's in elite company. His ONLY problem is his big mouth. It's probably not correctible unless there's a clause in his contract that everything he says that 'concerns' management, he'll be fined $100,000. If it's worth 100,000 to Oz to mouth off, so be it, the team would take that cash in a second. Problem is he's not quite THAT good to even mess with it. The Mouth he has will keep him out of baseball. People like me think that's unfortunate.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
I'm talking about as a manager; it's not easy to win the big prize. He's in elite company. His ONLY problem is his big mouth. It's probably not correctible unless there's a clause in his contract that everything he says that 'concerns' management, he'll be fined $100,000. If it's worth 100,000 to Oz to mouth off, so be it, the team would take that cash in a second. Problem is he's not quite THAT good to even mess with it. The Mouth he has will keep him out of baseball. People like me think that's unfortunate.

As a manager, keeping your mouth shut is pretty important.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)

First, you assert that there is value in having won before. You are implying that having won before is evidence that a manager is a good bet to win again.

Then, the VERY NEXT THING you do is give an example of a manager who won before and -- despite being really good and having really good teams -- was never able to win again.

You cannot be serious.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
I could list 20 reasons why Ozzie is a good fit to coach again, but you probably don't want to hear them.

Don't discount the value of a guy who has won the big prize. As good as Leyland is, he couldn't get a ring with the Tigers though he got one earlier than that. Ron Washington? It's not easy to do.

At least when Ozzie got to the big series, the World Series, he took care of business. Had we not won in our one-and-done appearance we'd still be without a WS title since the dark ages with none in sight.

And he's not begging for a job; he's smart to answer questions pointing out he wants back in.

Give me Jim Leyland, Ron Gardenhire, and Clint Hurdle any day over Ozzie. He was the manager when the Sox won the World Series, but giving him as much credit as you are, and implying that a ring and only a ring makes one a good manager, is ridiculous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
As a manager, keeping your mouth shut is pretty important.

Yep and that's why he's cooked. No more jobs for Ozzie. Hope he's saved his money unless he can keep landing broadcast gigs. Maybe if a close buddy gets a managing job they'll bring him in as 3B coach. Asst coaches don't do much talking to media or they don't last a week.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
First, you assert that there is value in having won before. You are implying that having won before is evidence that a manager is a good bet to win again.

Then, the VERY NEXT THING you do is give an example of a manager who won before and -- despite being really good and having really good teams -- was never able to win again.

You cannot be serious.

I like Leyland; no disagreement there. I'm just thanking oz for getting it done in the Sox one and only trip to the WS. We could have lost that series and our streak of futility would be looking very very very bad right now. There's no sign in sight we can even win our division again the way we play in divisional games much less get back in the WS. I mean if you had to bet your life savings would you predict we get back in the WS in the next 10 years? Next 20? Odds aren't good as we start over.

I'd give anything to have Leyland take over the Sox helm tomorrow. I'd love Leyland as skip and Oz third base or bench coach. Leyland would teach Oz about professionalism and Oz could help Jimmy with the strategy. Oh I can wish ...

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Yep and that's why he's cooked. No more jobs for Ozzie. Hope he's saved his money unless he can keep landing broadcast gigs. Maybe if a close buddy gets a managing job they'll bring him in as 3B coach. Asst coaches don't do much talking to media or they don't last a week.

I like Leyland; no disagreement there. I'm just thanking oz for getting it done in the Sox one and only trip to the WS. We could have lost that series and our streak of futility would be looking very very very bad right now. There's no sign in sight we can even win our division again the way we play in divisional games much less get back in the WS. I mean if you had to bet your life savings would you predict we get back in the WS in the next 10 years? Next 20? Odds aren't good as we start over.

I'd give anything to have Leyland take over the Sox helm tomorrow.

The Sox could have lost the ALCS had it not been for AJ. And they could have lost the WS had it not been for Konerko, Dye, Jenks, Podsednik, etc...

Hey, I thank Ozzie, too, but after the World Series he wasn't nearly as good a manager...and he was pretty damn bad the last year or two.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)

I'd give anything to have Leyland take over the Sox helm tomorrow. I'd love Leyland as skip and Oz third base or bench coach. Leyland would teach Oz about professionalism and Oz could help Jimmy with the strategy. Oh I can wish ...

strategically, how was ozzie good? please inform me

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
The Sox could have lost the ALCS had it not been for AJ. And they could have lost the WS had it not been for Konerko, Dye, Jenks, Podsednik, etc...

Hey, I thank Ozzie, too, but after the World Series he wasn't nearly as good a manager...and he was pretty damn bad the last year or two.

Well you said, "I thank Ozzie, too" and for that I thank YOU. All I want is the recognition that the man gave us something we've not seen before and may never see again: a WS ring. Thank you.

p.s. I do thank PK, Dye, Jenks, Pods, AJP as well, etc. But it was Oz at the helm.

Ozzie, meet three time Super Bowl Champion coach Joe Gibbs.

After being lured out of retirement, the three time Super Bowl Winning coach Gibbs put together an all star coaching staff, many guys who won the big one and they went

6-10

10-6

5-11

9-7

Then he retired, again.

And Gibbs never was a jackass. Never caused fans to boycott games. Etc. Just winning a championship at one point in your career doesn't mean you can replicate the success at will. What makes a great coach? Great players.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
Oh Christ. The Joliet Slammers are trying to bring Ozzie in as manager.

http://jolietslammers.com/archives/8650?ut...w-field-manager

THAT would be awesome. Canseco was offered a players contract with our local team. :lol: Against what is basically PE coaches and Walmart clerk he went 1-11 and retired again.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
strategically, how was ozzie good? please inform me

He basically revolutionized big-game baseball, or should have revolutionized it, in his letting the starters do their thing so deep into games the whole way. Aside from that, he engineered a program that allowed his players to believe they could beat all those good AL teams en route to the Big Dance where we took care of a good but not great Houston club. He put a team on the field golden with the glove that amazed me with its efficient, professional, incredible baseball. That kind of a run thru the postseason??? Remarkable.

It's belief, baby!!