Ozzie still out begging for a job

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
I can't win. Though I try. I wish an objective debate coach could come in here and deem me the winner.

Seriously, before this thread, I thought you were starting to get more reasonable overall. But that post about Ozzie revolutionizing the field of baseball management is just savant-level insanity.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 11:35 PM)
That would be sad beyond words if it is.

Give the mods more credit. They would know if for some insane reason I tried to be two people. This thread exploded but I don't think it's my fault.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
This is relevant to our previous discussion

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mike-mathen...usly-slow-hook/

In other words, Ozzie was not smart to keep his starters out that long, he was lucky they were pitching as well as they were

viva la revolucionizingthegame!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
This is relevant to our previous discussion

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mike-mathen...usly-slow-hook/

In other words, Ozzie was not smart to keep his starters out that long, he was lucky they were pitching as well as they were

I don't get your point. In other words, Ozzie did something outside the box and it worked. That constitutes smart managing, genius managing, right?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
I don't get your point. In other words, Ozzie did something outside the box and it worked. That constitutes smart managing, genius managing, right?

No, he put his pitchers at risk and gave the opposition greater opportunities to score because they'd seen the guys more often, and overall he was lucky that they didn't score more.

You do not understand a lot of very basic concepts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
No, he put his pitchers at risk and gave the opposition greater opportunities to score because they'd seen the guys more often, and overall he was lucky that they didn't score more.

He just doesn't click links. If you put the table in a post that shows the incredibly overwhelming evidence that pitchers are less effective every time through the order, I think it might sink in.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)

Is that true of every manager who lets a pitcher throw a complete game, or just Ozzie?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)

With all due respect in your role as a mod, are you and others actually b****ing about the move that helped us storm through the 05 postseason? One of the best postseason runs in history??

Risk?? I'll take one postseason loss total against all those victories over risk any day of any week!

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
He just doesn't click links. If you put the table in a post that shows the incredibly overwhelming evidence that pitchers are less effective every time through the order, I think it might sink in.

Are u also second guessing his managing in the 05 postseason? If so, now I've seen everything. Yeah maybe if he'd abided by the book we'd have won every single game in that postseason instead of losing one.

I always thought one of Ozzies strengths was how he ran the pitching staff. When his starters gave him those complete games no one said it was stupid then. In fact wasnt Jerry Manuel criticized for yanking Garland consistently in the 6th and 7th innings? Ozzie would have been blasted had he removed a starter who was cruising and the bullpen got rocked.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
I always thought one of Ozzies strengths was how he ran the pitching staff. When his starters gave him those complete games no one said it was stupid then. In fact wasnt Jerry Manuel criticized for yanking Garland consistently in the 6th and 7th innings? Ozzie would have been blasted had he removed a starter who was cruising and the bullpen got rocked.

That was more Hawk than anything. I'm certainly not bashing the way he handled the staff in the 05 playoffs but the stuff with Garland was always overblown in my opinion.