Ozzie still out begging for a job

southsider2k5

OMG this is comedy gold from the Slammers!

The Venezuelan is widely regarded for his passion and intensity on the field and in front of a microphone. The Slammers view his experience and passion as a plus.

“Make no mistakes about it, Ozzie knows baseball and we would be thrilled to have him on board. We can’t guarantee that he would be the highest paid manager in baseball, but there’s a good chance he would be the highest paid in the Frontier League. We’ve seen an uptick in our season ticket sales with our new $2 Tumbler Cup providing season ticket holders with $2 beers and fountain drinks every day so we expect revenues to be up in 2014. The additional revenue will help enable us to provide a quality product on the field as well. “

In addition to a base salary the Slammers would be willing to cover any fines issued by the Frontier League and provide the Guillen family and charity of choice with additional 7-Game All-You-Can-Eat Packs to watch Ozzie in action. The 7-Game All-You-Can-Eat Packs allows fans to indulge themselves for one hour prior to the start of the game with hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, and Pepsi products for less than $15 per game!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Ozzie, meet three time Super Bowl Champion coach Joe Gibbs.

After being lured out of retirement, the three time Super Bowl Winning coach Gibbs put together an all star coaching staff, many guys who won the big one and they went

6-10

10-6

5-11

9-7

Then he retired, again.

And Gibbs never was a jackass. Never caused fans to boycott games. Etc. Just winning a championship at one point in your career doesn't mean you can replicate the success at will. What makes a great coach? Great players.

Great post. The Gibbs return didn't work.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
THAT would be awesome. Canseco was offered a players contract with our local team. :lol: Against what is basically PE coaches and Walmart clerk he went 1-11 and retired again.

I think it would do wonders for ticket sales.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
Oh Christ. The Joliet Slammers are trying to bring Ozzie in as manager.

http://jolietslammers.com/archives/8650?ut...w-field-manager

That's kind of a classless way to advertise your ballclub, your park and your prices. Pretty crazy stuff there, using Oz's name like that in the ad.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
He basically revolutionized big-game baseball, or should have revolutionized it, in his letting the starters do their thing so deep into games the whole way. Aside from that, he engineered a program that allowed his players to believe they could beat all those good AL teams en route to the Big Dance where we took care of a good but not great Houston club. He put a team on the field golden with the glove that amazed me with its efficient, professional, incredible baseball. That kind of a run thru the postseason??? Remarkable.

It's belief, baby!!

Shame on 2k5 for creating this thread. You knew what was gonna happen.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
The Sox could have lost the ALCS had it not been for AJ. And they could have lost the WS had it not been for Konerko, Dye, Jenks, Podsednik, etc...

Hey, I thank Ozzie, too, but after the World Series he wasn't nearly as good a manager...and he was pretty damn bad the last year or two.

And they could have lost the division series if it wasn't for El Duque and Tony Graffinino.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
That's kind of a classless way to advertise your ballclub, your park and your prices. Pretty crazy stuff there, using Oz's name like that in the ad.

Not an advertisement, a press release announcing their search for a new manager. I thought you would be excited, they are trying to get your man back managing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
The headline on the thread is he's "begging for a job," which I don't think is fair.

World Series manager to discussing coaching the Cubs?

That's begging for a job.

He basically revolutionized big-game baseball, or should have revolutionized it, in his letting the starters do their thing so deep into games the whole way. Aside from that, he engineered a program that allowed his players to believe they could beat all those good AL teams en route to the Big Dance where we took care of a good but not great Houston club. He put a team on the field golden with the glove that amazed me with its efficient, professional, incredible baseball. That kind of a run thru the postseason??? Remarkable.

It's belief, baby!!

I've used hyperbole before, but I think I am serious this time when I say that this is the most ridiculous post I have ever read on this board.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
Not an advertisement, a press release announcing their search for a new manager. I thought you would be excited, they are trying to get your man back managing.

Did you read the ad? It talks about free parking and $2 dollar beers or whatever. It's ingenious, but it is an ad IMO.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
I've used hyperbole before, but I think I am serious this time when I say that this is the most ridiculous post I have ever read on this board.

It can't be that ridiculous if a human being currently employed, never been in jail or in trouble (knock on wood on all that stuff), in charge of a family, believes it. I am a sane, untroubled person and believe it so how can it be deemed that 'ridiculous?' You don't agree about that team being a well-oiled machine? The defense had to make u proud to be a Sox fan and who was in charge?

Edited by greg775

It's belief, baby!!

Lol, greg, wtf universe do you live in?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)

Online press releases ARE ads these days. It's a slightly outdated but still widely employed content marketing tactic. Greg is almost never right about ANYTHING, but he's right about this.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
It can't be that ridiculous if a human being currently employed, never been in jail or in trouble (knock on wood on all that stuff), in charge of a family, believes it. I am a sane, untroubled person and believe it so how can it be deemed that 'ridiculous?' You don't agree about that team being a well-oiled machine? The defense had to make u proud to be a Sox fan and who was in charge?

Lol, yes it can greg, yes it can.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
I don't see how you can go through that post point by point and not at least agree about the Oz in 2005 that I describe.

Revolutionized big game baseball by letting his pitchers do their thing? ENGINEERED A PROGRAM that allowed his players to believe they can win? You've got to be kidding.

You're trying to tell us that Ozzie Guillen INVENTED the concept of starters pitching deep into games and of trying to keep his players thinking positive about winning.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Revolutionized big game baseball by letting his pitchers do their thing? ENGINEERED A PROGRAM that allowed his players to believe they can win? You've got to be kidding.

You're trying to tell us that Ozzie Guillen INVENTED the concept of starters pitching deep into games and of trying to keep his players thinking positive about winning.

Do you remember HOW DEEP those Sox starters went? Managers don't have the balls to do that and even in 2005 there was situational lefty-righty crap going on all the time.

Am I the only one who remembers how proud to be of a fan that played defense like our Sox did in 05? I didn't take it for granted at the time.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
Did you know that if it weren't for Ozzie Guillen believing and praying and swearing, Paul Konerko would not have hit that grand slam in game 2?

I'll give Paulie ALL the credit for the blast.