Ozzie still out begging for a job

southsider2k5

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Do you remember HOW DEEP those Sox starters went? Managers don't have the balls to do that and even in 2005 there was situational lefty-righty crap going on all the time.

In game 2, Mark Buehrle threw 99 pitches in 9 innings. He was going back out for a 10th if necessary. He was incredibly efficient.

In game 3, Garland threw 118 pitches in 9 innings. That's perfectly within reason, especially when he was pitching so well.

In game 4, Garcia threw 116 pitches in 9 innings. Again, same story as Garland.

In game 5, Contreras threw 114 pitches in 9 innings.

When the guys are pitching as well as they are, it's not ridiculous to just keep them out there. It IS ridiculous to suggest that it's ground breaking to let them pitch that deep.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Do you remember HOW DEEP those Sox starters went? Managers don't have the balls to do that and even in 2005 there was situational lefty-righty crap going on all the time.

Am I the only one who remembers how proud to be of a fan that played defense like our Sox did in 05? I didn't take it for granted at the time.

World Series pitch counts

Game 1- Contreras 86 pitches

Game 2- Buehrle 100

Game 3- Garland 93

Game 4- Garcia 107

REVOLUTIONARY!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:52 PM)
No doubt in my mind.

Hmmm ... Ozzie has the biggest mouth in the world. Ozzie is at World Series. Reporters ask; Ozzie answers. He'll do a story a day if the media wants to make him a story. Who's he gonna turn down? Nobody.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
In game 2, Mark Buehrle threw 99 pitches in 9 innings. He was going back out for a 10th if necessary. He was incredibly efficient.

In game 3, Garland threw 118 pitches in 9 innings. That's perfectly within reason, especially when he was pitching so well.

When the guys are pitching as well as they are, it's not ridiculous to just keep them out there. It IS ridiculous to suggest that it's ground breaking to let them pitch that deep.

Can somebody give me play by play? Any matchups where various managers would start to play the lefty/righty game even with workable pitch counts?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
He basically revolutionized big-game baseball, or should have revolutionized it, in his letting the starters do their thing so deep into games the whole way. Aside from that, he engineered a program that allowed his players to believe they could beat all those good AL teams en route to the Big Dance where we took care of a good but not great Houston club. He put a team on the field golden with the glove that amazed me with its efficient, professional, incredible baseball. That kind of a run thru the postseason??? Remarkable.

It's belief, baby!!

HO-LEE s***!!!

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
I give the other guys on base as much credit.

Including Dye who got hit in the bat hand by a pitch before Konerko came up.

I meant I give Paulie all the credit for actually making contact, elevating and homering. I would always praise Dye, etc., as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Can somebody give me play by play? Any matchups where various managers would start to play the lefty/righty game even with workable pitch counts?

Google is free to all. Unless you live in China

Hmmm ... Ozzie has the biggest mouth in the world. Ozzie is at World Series. Reporters ask; Ozzie answers. He'll do a story a day if the media wants to make him a story. Who's he gonna turn down? Nobody.

There was never any need. Like I said, Buehrle was cruising in game 2. The Angels couldn't get squat off of him. I forget the exact scores, but the Sox won the next 3 5-2, 8-3, and 6-3 I think? And those guys never really got into trouble late in the game. Why would you need to take them out?

You are aware that reliever usage has steadily increased over the years, right? That hundreds of managers had been letting their pitchers pitch even deeper into games than Ozzie Guillen for DECADES? That even IF Ozzie Guillen had actually been doing something different than his contemporaries by "boldly" letting his starters flirt with 120 pitches, it would be a call back to the norms that had dominated baseball for OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS, thus representing something similar to the absolute antithesis of the word "revolutionary"?

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)

The Sox had as many complete games in that series as all post season teams combined in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
You are aware that reliever usage has steadily increased over the years, right? That hundreds of managers had been letting their pitchers pitch even deeper into games than Ozzie Guillen for DECADES? That even IF Ozzie Guillen had actually been doing something different than his contemporaries by "boldly" letting his starters flirt with 120 pitches, it would be a call back to the norms that had dominated baseball for OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS, thus representing something similar to the absolute antithesis of the word "revolutionary"?

Grady Little used that "revolutionary" strategy in the 2003 ALCS and barely made it out of Boston alive.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)

Maybe revolutionary was a questionable word. It was different, though; managers had gone to the lefty/righty thing in 05.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
greg be trolling

Ugh.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
The Sox had as many complete games in that series as all post season teams combined in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Thank you!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
Maybe revolutionary was a questionable word. It was different, though; managers had gone to the lefty/righty thing in 05.

Yes, they had, when their starters weren't pitching extremely well and efficiently. And, the results of the specialized reliever trend have been overwhelmingly successful in every measurable way.

Ozzie Guillen had nothing to do with the incredible performances our pitchers gave us in that post-season. The only thing he could have done was ruin an obviously good thing unfolding in front of him. I guess we can give him credit for not sabotaging those performances, but no one is going to buy any argument that 99% of all managers wouldn't have "done" the exact same thing, which was doing nothing.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
I could list 20 reasons why Ozzie is a good fit to coach again, but you probably don't want to hear them.

Don't discount the value of a guy who has won the big prize. As good as Leyland is, he couldn't get a ring with the Tigers though he got one earlier than that. Ron Washington? It's not easy to do.

At least when Ozzie got to the big series, the World Series, he took care of business. Had we not won in our one-and-done appearance we'd still be without a WS title since the dark ages with none in sight.

Personally I respect the ring and Mr. Mouth has one!!!! No matter what u guys think of him.

And he's not begging for a job; he's smart to answer questions pointing out he wants back in.

I like Ozzie Guillen. Maybe we need an infield coach? I would think so after last year