Bourjos and Trumbo available for pitching

bruni

Here we go White Sox fans:

As of this morning, the Angles have speed/defence whiz Peter Bourjos and slugger Trumbo on the block for pitching. Let's let Santiago loose for a combo platter of Bourjos, catcher Ianetta or Conger and have the Angels throw in prospect or two. Bourjos is under team control for 3 more years, about to enter his peak (age 27) and has had his value suppressed by 2 separate DH stints due to HBP. He is only slated to cost 1.1 million in 2014.

Trumbo at the cell would be fun, but we do not need another thumper with no position to play. Send De Aza on his way and solidify the OF and lead off spot plus the Catcher position with Bourjos and Ianetta.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Abreu signing, Trumbo has no place here, in my opinion.

Bourjos though, is an interesting case. According to his stats, he's an elite defender, an above average baserunner, and a league average-ish bat. His slash line wouldn't look sexy, but he's a quiet contributor who has been underutilized by the Angels. Oh, and he has three years of control remaining.

I think I'd send Santiago for him straight up. I think our pitching strength is overrated, but I also don't think competing next year is super important, and we have a lot of young pitching depth that needs 2014 to develop in the Majors.

Bourjos gets on base at the same clip as Viciedo, although he is good with the glove. If you don't like Adam Dunn's game, I can't see how you would like Trumbo.

I do think the Sox would trade Santiago. There is something going on there that makes me think they aren't very high on his future. I don't know what other teams think.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
With the Abreu signing, Trumbo has no place here, in my opinion.

Bourjos though, is an interesting case. According to his stats, he's an elite defender, an above average baserunner, and a league average-ish bat. His slash line wouldn't look sexy, but he's a quiet contributor who has been underutilized by the Angels. Oh, and he has three years of control remaining.

I think I'd send Santiago for him straight up. I think our pitching strength is overrated, but I also don't think competing next year is super important, and we have a lot of young pitching depth that needs 2014 to develop in the Majors.

Trumbo can play 3B...very poorly.

He can also play LF...very poorly.

Bourjos is the guy to get.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Bourjos gets on base at the same clip as Viciedo, although he is good with the glove. If you don't like Adam Dunn's game, I can't see how you would like Trumbo.

I do think the Sox would trade Santiago. There is something going on there that makes me think they aren't very high on his future. I don't know what other teams think.

Viciedo had a .333 OBP last year?

In the only year Bourjos got nearly full-time PT, he had a .335 wOBA and played great defense. I think he's worth a try.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Viciedo had a .333 OBP last year?

In the only year Bourjos got nearly full-time PT, he had a .335 wOBA and played great defense. I think he's worth a try.

Both at .306 for their careers. He doesn't walk, and he strikes out a lot. He may be worth a try, but he's a 4th or 5th OF right now. His price tag should match that. If that is what Santiago is worth, fine. But I think most here thing that would be a little low.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
You don't think contending next year is important but you want to trade a starter with nice upside for a 27 year old with a pretty apparent ceiling. Doesn't make much sense.

I like Bourjos for CF but not straight up for Hector.

I agree at his absolute peak Bourjos is a 4 win player Hector could easily surpass that starting next year. I've mentioned it a number of times here but his peripherals and career look strikingly similar to Liriano. Why give up all that upside? The biggest thing we have going for us is all the money we have available to spend, so continue to spend it; go sign one of McCann or Ellsbury. Move DeAza to LF and put tank at 3B and use Conor as a defensive replacement while he continues to develop. If the sox are going to be a dark horse next year its going to come from their young core of pitching continuing to step up and John Danks getting back to normal.

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
I agree at his absolute peak Bourjos is a 4 win player Hector could easily surpass that starting next year. I've mentioned it a number of times here but his peripherals and career look strikingly similar to Liriano. Why give up all that upside? The biggest thing we have going for us is all the money we have available to spend, so continue to spend it; go sign one of McCann or Ellsbury. Move DeAza to LF and put tank at 3B and use Conor as a defensive replacement while he continues to develop. If the sox are going to be a dark horse next year its going to come from their young core of pitching continuing to step up and John Danks getting back to normal.

In 160 or so games between the majors and minors, Viciedo's fielding percentage at 3B is about .905. I'm not a fielding percentage guy, but you simply can't ignore how poor he is there. Playing him at 3B is really one of the worst things you could do for this team.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
I'm all for adding power, but not with Trumbo. It needs to be added consistently throughout the line up. Abreu is a good start replacing Konerko. I'd like to know why the middle infielders went from producing 30 home runs to 10.

You mean, like, in general? I think it's pretty obvious that PEDs were banned from the game and a short while later offense stopped hitting

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
You mean, like, in general? I think it's pretty obvious that PEDs were banned from the game and a short while later offense stopped hitting

Not in general. Ramirez and Beckham went from legit power threats to slap hitters. Ramirez is interesting because he still hit a ton of doubles.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
Not in general. Ramirez and Beckham went from legit power threats to slap hitters. Ramirez is interesting because he still hit a ton of doubles.

I think Ramirez got old and started actively trying to hit singles. Beckham I think did some of the same plus the wrist injury sapped power. That's my best guess anyways.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Bourjos and Yarbough for Santiago?

I wouldn't do Santiago for Bourjos straight up like some suggest here but I'd have to think about Bourjos and Yarbrough, I still might not even do that....Maybe I'm not putting enough emphasis on defense but Bourjos doesn't really excite me at all, not for Santiago anyway....For Rienzo and some mid level guys? Ya, sure.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I think Ramirez got old and started actively trying to hit singles. Beckham I think did some of the same plus the wrist injury sapped power. That's my best guess anyways.

Guys that get old don't set career highs in doubles and SB's. I think it was his approach. He should be batting 6th or 7th.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
I wouldn't do Santiago for Bourjos straight up like some suggest here but I'd have to think about Bourjos and Yarbrough, I still might not even do that....Maybe I'm not putting enough emphasis on defense but Bourjos doesn't really excite me at all, not for Santiago anyway....For Rienzo and some mid level guys? Ya, sure.

Bourjos might legitimately be the best defensive outfielder in the game. We are talking about a guy who could be a comparable player to Carlos Gomez, only way easier to acquire.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Hahn already said he will be emphasizing offense this winter. I don't think defense is going to play a huge roll in his acquisitions. I think he thinks it will get better just by getting back to the mean, which could be true. Many couldn't have been worse in 2013.

I think there will be a lot of guys who do improve offensively. I just think that, by adding Bourjos, you are adding up to 2 wins defensively in CF (20 win shares, top 2-5 defender in the majors) plus you are adding up to 2 wins defensively in LF with De Aza out there too. The problem, of course, is that Viciedo is then the odd man out.

I like the idea of Bourjob, but I do agree that I don't know if that's the direction the Sox go in.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
Bourjos might legitimately be the best defensive outfielder in the game. We are talking about a guy who could be a comparable player to Carlos Gomez, only way easier to acquire.

Ya, I get that, and thats why I included the line about defense. I just don't think they should trade one of their best trade pieces for a defensive upgrade/potential offensive downgrade.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
I think there will be a lot of guys who do improve offensively. I just think that, by adding Bourjos, you are adding up to 2 wins defensively in CF (20 win shares, top 2-5 defender in the majors) plus you are adding up to 2 wins defensively in LF with De Aza out there too. The problem, of course, is that Viciedo is then the odd man out.

I like the idea of Bourjob, but I do agree that I don't know if that's the direction the Sox go in.

De Aza over Viciedo doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. It's tough to have a discussion about De Aza with stat guys. He grades well, but doesn't pass the eye test at all. I'm not saying Viciedo does, but Dayan has age and potential on his side.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
De Aza over Viciedo doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. It's tough to have a discussion about De Aza with stat guys. He grades well, but doesn't pass the eye test at all. I'm not saying Viciedo does, but Dayan has age and potential on his side.

I don't believe De Aza is a good defender in CF, regardless of what the numbers say. He looks tenative and scared out there. In LF, he looks way, way more comfortable, and his weak arm plays better out there too.

Frankly, in the even that you did bring in Bourjos, you could hypothetically split Viciedo, Dunn, and De Aza 120 games each which would be good for all 3 of them.