Bourjos and Trumbo available for pitching

bruni

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)

I gotta be honest, I don't think Arizona would trade him for anything short or Quintana or Santiago+. I never thought much of him but he's turned into a pretty solid player and he absolutely should be a gold glove winner this year.

QUOTE (bruni @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
Here we go White Sox fans:

As of this morning, the Angles have speed/defence whiz Peter Bourjos and slugger Trumbo on the block for pitching. Let's let Santiago loose for a combo platter of Bourjos, catcher Ianetta or Conger and have the Angels throw in prospect or two. Bourjos is under team control for 3 more years, about to enter his peak (age 27) and has had his value suppressed by 2 separate DH stints due to HBP. He is only slated to cost 1.1 million in 2014.

Trumbo at the cell would be fun, but we do not need another thumper with no position to play. Send De Aza on his way and solidify the OF and lead off spot plus the Catcher position with Bourjos and Ianetta.

Sounds like what I've been trumpeting in the Quintana trade value thread. Only I'm thinking Bourjos would be buy low and I also included Hendrick and Conger who would be a huge get. 1 pitcher ,whoever that might be, and any position players among Viciedo, DeAza, Beckham, Kepppinger, Leury Garcia, Jordan Danks , and maybe Gillaspie if we are all comfortable with Semien at 3rd. No Trumbo but Hendrick, Conger and Boujos.

Edit: Forgot Phegley and Flowers in my list of players available to Angels since we'd get back Conger would probably have to give up a catcher.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Sounds like what I've been trumpeting in the Quitana trade value thread. Only I'm thinking Boujos would be buy low and I also included Hendrick and Conger who would be a huge get. 1 pitcher ,whoever that might be, and any position players among Viciedo, DeAza, Beckham, Kepppinger, Leury Garcia, Jordan Danks , qnd maybe Gillaspie if we are all comfortable with Semien at 3rd. No Trumbo but Hendrick, Conger and Boujos.

How does it make sense for a young/rebuilding team (assuming we did put Bourjos in CF) to keep DeAza and get rid of Viciedo?

For 2014 or 2017, it just doesn't compute.

They definitely do need a veteran catching option, though, whether it's Buck or Conger or whoever, Hahn can't be dumb enough to go into spring training without an improvement at that position.

One has to look no further than Molina and Salty/Ross to see how important the catching position is...and compare that to what we got out of that position in 2013.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)

Not sure what the big draw is. His 2013 WAR looks like a clear outlier to me, driven by fluky defensive metrics.

I've got to be honest, I'm not a fan of players whose value is tied that heavily to their defense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
Not sure what the big draw is. His 2013 WAR looks like a clear outlier to me, driven by fluky defensive metrics.

I've got to be honest, I'm not a fan of players whose value is tied that heavily to their defense.

So then I assume you are not a fan of Bourjos either, whose value is tied in to his defense, had only 1 outlier good year, and appears that he was injured the past couple seasons (I'm just guessing based on his lack of games played).

At least Parra's really good year was the most recent one, when he was 26 years old, the age where he should be coming in to his full potential. Parra is an amazing defender with probably one of the best OF arms I have ever seen, draws walks at a decent clip, doesn't strike out a ton, and has above average speed. The dude had 43 doubles last season. If he could learn to steal bases more efficiently, he could be a 4-5 WAR player for the next few years. As I've been clammoring for a while, I'd love to see a trade of Quintana + Carlos Sanchez for Parra, 3B Davidson, and C Stryker Trahan.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Both at .306 for their careers. He doesn't walk, and he strikes out a lot. He may be worth a try, but he's a 4th or 5th OF right now. His price tag should match that. If that is what Santiago is worth, fine. But I think most here thing that would be a little low.

I don't think it's fair to say that Bourjos is a .306 OBP guy when he's showed he can put up a ~.330 with regular playing time.

His glove alone would be worth 1.5-2 wins, not to mention his value on the base paths.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
How does it make sense for a young/rebuilding team (assuming we did put Bourjos in CF) to keep DeAza and get rid of Viciedo?

For 2014 or 2017, it just doesn't compute.

They definitely do need a veteran catching option, though, whether it's Buck or Conger or whoever, Hahn can't be dumb enough to go into spring training without an improvement at that position.

One has to look no further than Molina and Salty/Ross to see how important the catching position is...and compare that to what we got out of that position in 2013.

To get something you have to give up something and those were players on a bad team, , without positions, bad fielders and bad runners. The question is really why keep them when they aren't good ? Maybe keep Viciedo or DeAza whoever you think has the best chance to pan out . Viciedo for future DH or DeAza for LF. Don't have to keep every young guy just because he is young. Conger and Bourjos are young enough and Kendrick is currently 29 and a free agent after 2015 so you get 1 1/2 years and if neither of the years the Sox are competing then he can be traded at the deadline of the 2nd year.

Then we have:

Hendrick 2B RH

Abreu 1B RH

A. Garcia RF RH

Conger C S

A. Ramirez SS RH

Semien 3B RH

Bourjos CF RH

Dunn DH LH

?? LF

Sign Ellsbury (LH) and we're back in business with a pretty good defensive team and a decent hitting team to SUPPORT our PITCHERS .

I also like the idea of Parra, too .More good D another LH and about as old of Bourjos but would come come at a higher price.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
So, would Howie Kendrick sweeten the pot enough for you? I then become sketpical that Santiago or Q is enough, though. Depends how much they care about losing Kendrick's salary.

I think we'd have to give up Q to get Kendrick, which I'm definitely not willing to do.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
What is with your Hank Conger infatuation? Is he really good defensively?

He is weak defensively. He is an offensive prospect but hasn't lived up to his earlier promise. Don't really know why he would be considered a huge upgrade over Flowers or Phegley but fans generally like players on other teams who suck as much as the players on the team they follow a lot more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
He is weak defensively. He is an offensive prospect but hasn't lived up to his earlier promise. Don't really know why he would be considered a huge upgrade over Flowers or Phegley but fans generally like players on other teams who suck as much as the players on the team they follow a lot more.

Where do you get that from ? In only 92 games with the Angels he had a 2.3 defensive WAR and Steamer predicts with 97 games he'd have an 8.5 defensive WAR. He turns 26 in January and is a switch hitter. So yes I'm saying he is OK defensively . If you have something else to support your weak defensive label I'd like to see it.

Catcher has to be our weakest position as of now and I'd like another LH bat who also can hit a little bit and is young. Conger fits all of those . Feel free to do some research and submit other names if Conger doesn't do it for you. Flowers wasa -0.1 and Phegley was a -0.5 WAR . Conger was a 1.0 WAR so no ,he does not suck nearly as much as the players we have.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
So then I assume you are not a fan of Bourjos either, whose value is tied in to his defense, had only 1 outlier good year, and appears that he was injured the past couple seasons (I'm just guessing based on his lack of games played).

At least Parra's really good year was the most recent one, when he was 26 years old, the age where he should be coming in to his full potential. Parra is an amazing defender with probably one of the best OF arms I have ever seen, draws walks at a decent clip, doesn't strike out a ton, and has above average speed. The dude had 43 doubles last season. If he could learn to steal bases more efficiently, he could be a 4-5 WAR player for the next few years. As I've been clammoring for a while, I'd love to see a trade of Quintana + Carlos Sanchez for Parra, 3B Davidson, and C Stryker Trahan.

Nope, not a huge fan of Bourjos either. He'd be an interesting buy low guy perhaps, but I don't want him if he's going to be a key piece back in a Quintana or Santiago trade. He's just not a good fit for us offensively.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
Where do you get that from ? In only 92 games with the Angels he had a 2.3 defensive WAR and Steamer predicts with 97 games he'd have an 8.5 defensive WAR. He turns 26 in January and is a switch hitter. So yes I'm saying he is OK defensively . If you have something else to support your weak defensive label I'd like to see it.

Catcher has to be our weakest position as of now and I'd like another LH bat who also can hit a little bit and is young. Conger fits all of those . Feel free to do some research and submit other names if Conger doesn't do it for you. Flowers wasa -0.1 and Phegley was a -0.5 WAR . Conger was a 1.0 WAR so no ,he does not suck nearly as much as the players we have.

I just want someone who has showed something in the bigs. Looking at his minor league numbers, they're good, but at the same time Phegley put together a better year in the minors last year than Conger ever did and we see what he did in the bigs.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
The fact that we're lauding a guy for a .330-ish OBP upsets me. That sucks. Aim higher. We need guys who can get on base.

Marcus Semien will have a .600 OBP and that will be enough for everyone

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)

All his defensive value was in framing pitches, a stat that can come and go and is very prone to small sample sizes. He has a tough time from time to time throwing accurately.

His value is in his bat. He once was their #2 prospect but his bat has been a disappointment.