Blue Jays reportedly interested in Gordon Beckham

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Or the genius that is AA>

Please people we need to stop bringing up Ellsbury and McCann. There is no way Hahn is going to fork over $150 million contract for Ellsbury or $80-100 million for McCann. We are still rebuilding towards the future and neither of these players fall in that category. What makes Ellsbury 30 years of age a solid player is his elite speed. He might have 2 more years tops of that speed. He will get a minimum of at least 6 years. Hahn has no interest in having huge contract when he's playing during Years 30-38. Same thing with McCann who will turn 30 in the offseason and catchers start to see a huge drop off by Age 32. He's already had shoulder surgery and his best years are already behind him. Again it will take 5-6 years to sign him. I hope and believe Hahn will take a pass on the elite free agents this offseason. I hope we do something very similar to what Epstein/Hoyer did last offseason and that's sign players to 1 year deals and see how the team does. If the team is horrible again which I believe will happen again you then have the fallback plan to trade them off to continue building our farm system for the future. He's already done a great job getting Abreu signed for his prime years and without costing any draft picks/allocation money for the draft.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
Please people we need to stop bringing up Ellsbury and McCann. There is no way Hahn is going to fork over $150 million contract for Ellsbury or $80-100 million for McCann. We are still rebuilding towards the future and neither of these players fall in that category. What makes Ellsbury 30 years of age a solid player is his elite speed. He might have 2 more years tops of that speed. He will get a minimum of at least 6 years. Hahn has no interest in having huge contract when he's playing during Years 30-38. Same thing with McCann who will turn 30 in the offseason and catchers start to see a huge drop off by Age 32. He's already had shoulder surgery and his best years are already behind him. Again it will take 5-6 years to sign him. I hope and believe Hahn will take a pass on the elite free agents this offseason. I hope we do something very similar to what Epstein/Hoyer did last offseason and that's sign players to 1 year deals and see how the team does. If the team is horrible again which I believe will happen again you then have the fallback plan to trade them off to continue building our farm system for the future. He's already done a great job getting Abreu signed for his prime years and without costing any draft picks/allocation money for the draft.

I'd rather not do anything the Cubs did.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)

And sign an Edwin Jackson clone.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)

Why not ? As it currently stands I think our payroll is somewhere around 72M if I include arbitration raises for the eligible guys. If the Sox paid $118M last year for a 99 lose team , who's to say we can't spend another $40-50M to improve the club for 2014 . That's plenty of room to sign an Ellsbury or McCann or trade for a guy like Kendrick . So it's not ideal to give out huge contracts for guys over 30. but you have to pay for quality players. That's the way the system was set up. Somewhere along the line in order to win your calculated risks have to pay off. We will never have enough good young players that all end up jelling at the same time to win a title semi - cheaply. The Sox payroll should be at least $120M unless you think you can't compete or see better options next year.. Remember, Dunn comes off next year so a big contract given out now to an Ellsbury (who is a speed , defense, old days Go-Go Sox player if I ever saw one) looks even better next year and would generate a lot of buzz , way more than Abreu.

Just have to see what we're talking about as far as the years and money but to dismiss it outright is wrong.

Note. The Tigers arent resigning Cuban Catcher Brayan Pena who is a switch hitter and had an .800 OPS against RHP. He will be 32 in January, 2014 so it's another option .

QUOTE (Leonard of Berwyn @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
"Note. The Tigers aren't resigning Cuban Catcher Brayan Pena who is a switch hitter and had an .800 OPS against RHP. He will be 32 in January, 2014 so it's another option ."

And He's from Cuba and hit 100 points better than Tyler Flowers

I brought him up in another thread awhile ago, he's certainly a logical fit if the Sox don't plan on spending big money on McCann/Salty. I don't expect him to duplicate what he did last year but if he hit .250-.260 he'd certainly be an upgrade. Only thing I don't really like about him is he doesn't offer a lot of power

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
The problem with that trade is Toronto wouldn't be on board with it. Let's all get serious here. We all hope and most think Danks will be better next season, but he was getting lit up and is owed a ton of money. Beckham has been having almost identical problems as Lawrie, but he costs more. A trade like this makes no sense for Toronto.

And if Toronto needs pitching, why are they looking to move Sanchez?

None of this makes sense other than Beckham interests them, and maybe the Sox make it work for Lawrie or maybe it's for some minor leaguer Paddy likes.

They're not.

But if you're the GM of any team, you're going to ask about one of the top prospects in baseball. That's common sense. Hahn asking for one of those guys in return DOES NOT mean Toronto is seeking to trade those guys.

They refused to part with Sanchez last year in the two major deals they made. And now he's better and closer to the bigs. They aren't giving him up for Beckham and/or Danks.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/thread...nchez-Stroman-)

Interesting to see Toronto's fans' reactions for context.

Most think they'd be foolish to give up Stroman/Sanchez for Beckham/Danks.

Some think Stroman/Sanchez is sufficient for Sale. (HA!)

All think Gordon Beckham is a bust and/or piece of garbage.

If Stroman/Sanchez are the two major trade chips in the deal, that could get you damn near any pitcher in the MLB. They have every right to feel that way, but of course, Sale is one of the most valuable players in all of baseball right now considering age/production/contract, and he's not going anywhere.

I've been saying for over a week now that just because teams are asking about Sanchez/Stroman, by no means are they available.

I also don't understand why Lawrie's name keeps being brought up. Yes, it would fill a need, but that doesn't mean he's available. It's hard to see Toronto move a talent like that, at his age/price, also considering the lack of quality 3B in the league. Also, he's Canadian. He's a hometown boy. He puts butts in seats.

I could "handle" giving Beckham the proverbial one more year IF he's the backup to Semien at 2B and fills in once in a while at 3B for what I hope will be a new third baseman.

I really truly want to see Kepp and Gillaspie gone and I've had my share of Beckham as a starter. If he's a Lillibridge type utility guy, fine.

Edited by greg775

It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell low on Beckham and I doubt it happens. We wouldn't get value.

Anyone who's "confident" Semien would outplay Beckham next year is a silly person. Semien's played 1 month at AAA. He hit well, but not nearly as well as Phegley did there for half a season. We've all seen what a can't-miss predictor of success that is. No one's a bigger Semien fan than me, but it'd be great to see him have more than a month of success at AAA.

Despite having wrist surgery, Beckham was hitting .346 with an .828 OPS on July 13 after the 1st game of a double header. He left the second game with a quad injury. He didn't play 6 out of the next 8 games. It clearly negatively affected his play, but he played through it and on Aug 20 he was still hitting .300 with a .765 OPS. League average for the AL was .707 for a second baseman last year. As of Aug 20, did he "need a change of scenery"? He obviously had a crap month from there on to finish the injury plagued season somewhere in the neighborhood of league average for a 2nd baseman. He's more than outperformed his small salary every year.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Why not ? As it currently stands I think our payroll is somewhere around 72M if I include arbitration raises for the eligible guys. If the Sox paid $118M last year for a 99 lose team , who's to say we can't spend another $40-50M to improve the club for 2014 . That's plenty of room to sign an Ellsbury or McCann or trade for a guy like Kendrick . So it's not ideal to give out huge contracts for guys over 30. but you have to pay for quality players. That's the way the system was set up. Somewhere along the line in order to win your calculated risks have to pay off. We will never have enough good young players that all end up jelling at the same time to win a title semi - cheaply. The Sox payroll should be at least $120M unless you think you can't compete or see better options next year.. Remember, Dunn comes off next year so a big contract given out now to an Ellsbury (who is a speed , defense, old days Go-Go Sox player if I ever saw one) looks even better next year and would generate a lot of buzz , way more than Abreu.

Just have to see what we're talking about as far as the years and money but to dismiss it outright is wrong.

Note. The Tigers arent resigning Cuban Catcher Brayan Pena who is a switch hitter and had an .800 OPS against RHP. He will be 32 in January, 2014 so it's another option .

Why would the Red Sox let Ellsbury go and lose him in a bidding war to the White Sox?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:33 AM)
I could "handle" giving Beckham the proverbial one more year IF he's the backup to Semien at 2B and fills in once in a while at 3B for what I hope will be a new third baseman.

I really truly want to see Kepp and Gillaspie gone and I've had my share of Beckham as a starter. If he's a Lillibridge type utility guy, fine.

Out of Beckham, Keppinger, and Gillespie, I'd keep Gillepsie. Keppinger was a major letdown, and Beckham has had his chances. I'd keep Gillespie as the bench guy depending on who the Sox find for third base...if anyone.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:17 AM)
Why would the Red Sox let Ellsbury go and lose him in a bidding war to the White Sox?

The bidding war, if there is one, might be between Seattle and Boston. I believe Elsbury is from the GNW.

Also, I think Salty's value went down in WS.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
But that's what the Cubs did last offseason. Don't ignore their biggest move in your argument.

He quite clearly stated he wanted to sign guys to 1 year deals. Forget that he said "something the Cubs did" and look at it like that if you have to.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:33 AM)

Having Marcus Semien sitting mostly on the bench as a fill-in/utility guy could be your worst idea yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
Having Marcus Semien sitting mostly on the bench as a fill-in/utility guy could be your worst idea yet.

In greg's defense (has that ever been said here?), he said to have Beckham be the back-up to Semien. But your point remains...having Semien be a bench guy would be a terrible idea.