Blue Jays reportedly interested in Gordon Beckham

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
In greg's defense (has that ever been said here?), he said to have Beckham be the back-up to Semien. But your point remains...having Semien be a bench guy would be a terrible idea.

If he's on the big league roster opening day (and just so it's said...that'd be rushing him)...he needs an obviously cleared spot. You can't have a guy in hist 5th year in the league making $4 million sitting there on the bench and expect Semien to get regular playing time.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:17 AM)
Why would the Red Sox let Ellsbury go and lose him in a bidding war to the White Sox?

They might not but if Ellsbury is available for 5 years $100M I'd say go for it. Ellsbury is 5 months younger than Pence who got 5 yrs/90M . Pence hits for more power and is very durable . His D isn't as good but he also provides value on the bases though not as much as Ellsbury. Ellsbury's pluses are defense and plays a premium position but in a few years probably is a corner OF . He's a great basestealer but then again that's not likely to last more than a few more years, too. Ellsbury isn't neary as durable nor does he hit for power or drive in as many runs as Pence.

I think the Pence contract is comparable to what Ellsbury will get. Durability is a key factor for Ellsbury not working in his favor. Ellsbury had a very good year and a monster year in 2011 but we're not likely to see a 9 WAR out of him ever again. It'll be interesting to see what he gets .

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Hahn has made it pretty clear that we're looking to add through trades now, rather than FA.

We don't know Ricky that well yet, but just as a reminder...if you wrote this post about the previous White Sox GM, later that day there would be a major free agent signing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
We don't know Ricky that well yet, but just as a reminder...if you wrote this post about the previous White Sox GM, later that day there would be a major free agent signing.

I really think Williams kind of gets a misleading reputation. He never really lied to the media and if he said something, he meant it. It's just that he was so intentionally vague in his remarks that anything could be interpreted to mean anything.

A reporter would ask him if he was looking to add pitching in free agency and he'd say something like "As a team, we are always looking for pitching and for ways to get better, so if that is a way we determine that we can improve this team, then we might look at pitchers in the free agent market." It's a lot of words, but in the end, it basically means nothing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
He quite clearly stated he wanted to sign guys to 1 year deals. Forget that he said "something the Cubs did" and look at it like that if you have to.

Thanks for following what I said about the 1 year deals. No way is Hahn giving up draft picks/money allocation in next year's draft to sign Ellsbury or McCann. 100% guaranteed Hahn doesn't go that route.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
If he's on the big league roster opening day (and just so it's said...that'd be rushing him)...he needs an obviously cleared spot. You can't have a guy in hist 5th year in the league making $4 million sitting there on the bench and expect Semien to get regular playing time.

I see what you're saying, and I agree. So, do you think semien needs to at least start in AAA next year? I don't know much about him, but it seems like he has potential.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I see what you're saying, and I agree. So, do you think semien needs to at least start in AAA next year? I don't know much about him, but it seems like he has potential.

He needs to start and play everyday. If that is in Chicago or Charlotte, it doesn't really matter to me, but he needs to play 150 games next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
He needs to start and play everyday. If that is in Chicago or Charlotte, it doesn't really matter to me, but he needs to play 150 games next year.

I'd really like him to start at Charlotte because I don't want to see him rushed past that level...but I won't be mad if the Sox find a way to trade someone in the right deal and a spot becomes clear for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
That seems awfully low.

That's my guess without reading what anyone else thinks. If teams want to go higher or more years for a speed guy that's on them. Bourne is already losing his speed if you base it on his low total of steals from prevoius years. What do you think ? Some one will probably go higher . They always do.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
That's my guess without reading what anyone else thinks. If teams want to go higher or more years for a speed guy that's on them. Bourne is already losing his speed if you base it on his low total of steals from prevoius years. What do you think ? Some one will probably go higher . They always do.

When's the last time a guy hit the FA market and you felt the team got a good deal? I'd expect the Carl Crawford range, 7/$140+, is a reasonable starting point and I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat that.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
Not sure if I'm on board of trading Beckham at this point, if the kid can stay healthy I think he puts it together next year.

lololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollo

lolollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollolol

ollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollolololl

ololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollolo

lollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololol

lololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollol

olollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololo

llololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololollololol

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
Having Marcus Semien sitting mostly on the bench as a fill-in/utility guy could be your worst idea yet.

I meant having Beckham as the utility guy and starting Semien at 2B every day. I don't want Beckham on the team at all. I was just saying if we have to give him another chance, I'd rather he be a backup 2B and 3B.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
I meant having Beckham as the utility guy and starting Semien at 2B every day. I don't want Beckham on the team at all. I was just saying if we have to give him another chance, I'd rather he be a backup 2B and 3B.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
When's the last time a guy hit the FA market and you felt the team got a good deal? I'd expect the Carl Crawford range, 7/$140+, is a reasonable starting point and I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat that.

I think that's a little high for a starting point on the years anyway but you're probably right , he'll get around 7/150 . I'm hoping that Crawford deal has the opposite effect on handing out that kind of contract. Crawford put up a 7.4 WAR before he hit FA (Ellsbury 5.8) and has put up around 3.0 WAR since signing that contract in 3 years. Ellsbury has already spent a good deal of time on the DL and getting more durable as you get older usually doesn't happen. I guess I'm hoping if it stays around what I suggested the Sox might consider him but if it gets up around what you expect , then no way, especially with what we'd have to give up in draft pick(s) and slot money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
A lot of people on here really wanted Carl Crawford. I read an article where Cashman and the Yankees took Crawford out to dinner. They knew they wouldn't sign him, they just did it to get Theo to give up more cash.

No one here wanted him at anywhere near the money he was going to get. No one.