Blue Jays reportedly interested in Gordon Beckham

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 01:08 AM)
If I am Rick Hahn and there is a possibility that I can add Angel Sanchez to the White Sox, and get rid of Gordon Beckham, I am doing everything in my power to make that trade happen.

???

I hope you're being sarcastic, unless there's ANOTHER Angel Sanchez who plays on the Cuban National team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
He would have been a bust at the price anyone here thought was reasonable for him to actually sign.

No one really wanted Carl Crawford at any free agent price. Do you have some posts that state otherwise, because that sure isn't how I remember it.

That was because of all the Hawk Love for Crawford for nearly a decade, and the KW Crush.

Sure, Crawford was nearly an MVP type talent in his mid 20's, but the price and wear and tear from playing all those games on turf was due to catch up with him in his 30's. And his baserunning numbers were already starting to decline, albeit some of that was being moved from the leadoff position to the 2nd/3rd spot in the order.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
No one really wanted Carl Crawford at any free agent price. Do you have some posts that state otherwise, because that sure isn't how I remember it.

I'm not going to go back for specifics, but he was a very popular player here. One poster even said he asked him at a game if he would like to play in Chicago and he supposedly said yes, and there were some hopeful follow up posts that it would happen. I think everyone figured Boston really overpaid, but to say no one wanted Crawford at any price is silly and wrong. He won a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and was 7th in the MVP vote, and the Sox could always use a CF who could lead off. He was an excellent player in Tampa, and was 28 or 29 when he became a free agent. You knew the production at some point would drop. but he fell off the charts almost immediately.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
I'm not going to go back for specifics, but he was a very popular player here. One poster even said he asked him at a game if he would like to play in Chicago and he supposedly said yes, and there were some hopeful follow up posts that it would happen. I think everyone figured Boston really overpaid, but to say no one wanted Crawford at any price is silly and wrong. He won a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and was 7th in the MVP vote, and the Sox could always use a CF who could lead off. He was an excellent player in Tampa, and was 28 or 29 when he became a free agent. You knew the production at some point would drop. but he fell off the charts almost immediately.

No one wanted him at anywhere near the price he was going to get in free agency. I don't remember seeing a single post advocating signing him as a free agent. Not one. I think you are just making stuff up here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)

Of course he was a very popular player, he was really good and getting better until he signed his contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
No one wanted him at anywhere near the price he was going to get in free agency. I don't remember seeing a single post advocating signing him as a free agent. Not one. I think you are just making stuff up here.

No making stuff up is saying no one wanted Carl Crawford at any free agent price, you made that one up today.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
I'd trade Beckham, Santiago and Keppinger to the Royals for Giovatella and Moustakas who have been busts and see if our new hitting coach can help fix 'em.

Take out Santiago and that's a fair deal. Two busts for two busts. Not sure why you want to gift wrap the young improving pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
You are pulling stuff out of your ass. Put up or shut up.

There is a Sox targeting Carl Crawford thread. A few people didn't want him at the money he was apparently going to get, most realized it wasn't realistic, but there was only one poster who seemed to not want him at any price.

Now if you want, you should bring that thread front and center, since you always make these little comments that people just post things out of their ass, and show everyone how you came up with no one wanted him at any free agent price.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 10:24 PM)
Nice spin.

Your the one that is doing the spinning.

One of the saddest things I read when looking for Crawford stuff was a thread about Keith Laws top 25 a few years ago. The poster was pissed because Mike Trout was ranked #3. The poster said it upset him because Trout was heavily linked to the White Sox, and many mock drafts had the Sox selecting Trout.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:29 AM)
It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell low on Beckham and I doubt it happens. We wouldn't get value.

Anyone who's "confident" Semien would outplay Beckham next year is a silly person. Semien's played 1 month at AAA. He hit well, but not nearly as well as Phegley did there for half a season. We've all seen what a can't-miss predictor of success that is. No one's a bigger Semien fan than me, but it'd be great to see him have more than a month of success at AAA.

Despite having wrist surgery, Beckham was hitting .346 with an .828 OPS on July 13 after the 1st game of a double header. He left the second game with a quad injury. He didn't play 6 out of the next 8 games. It clearly negatively affected his play, but he played through it and on Aug 20 he was still hitting .300 with a .765 OPS. League average for the AL was .707 for a second baseman last year. As of Aug 20, did he "need a change of scenery"? He obviously had a crap month from there on to finish the injury plagued season somewhere in the neighborhood of league average for a 2nd baseman. He's more than outperformed his small salary every year.

The guy has over 2,000 AB's in the majors. At what point are you going to give up? His career OPS in the those 2000+ AB's is .697. That's clearly a good enough sample size to determine that he isn't a quality starting player in the majors. I'm not even saying Semien is the answer (really hope he is but who knows), but I can say with confidence that Beckham isn't the guy. Time to move on, its time to move on from a lot of guys on this team.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:29 AM)
It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell low on Beckham and I doubt it happens. We wouldn't get value.

Anyone who's "confident" Semien would outplay Beckham next year is a silly person. Semien's played 1 month at AAA. He hit well, but not nearly as well as Phegley did there for half a season. We've all seen what a can't-miss predictor of success that is. No one's a bigger Semien fan than me, but it'd be great to see him have more than a month of success at AAA.

Despite having wrist surgery, Beckham was hitting .346 with an .828 OPS on July 13 after the 1st game of a double header. He left the second game with a quad injury. He didn't play 6 out of the next 8 games. It clearly negatively affected his play, but he played through it and on Aug 20 he was still hitting .300 with a .765 OPS. League average for the AL was .707 for a second baseman last year. As of Aug 20, did he "need a change of scenery"? He obviously had a crap month from there on to finish the injury plagued season somewhere in the neighborhood of league average for a 2nd baseman. He's more than outperformed his small salary every year.

The guy has over 2,000 AB's in the majors. At what point are you going to give up? His career OPS in the those 2000+ AB's is .697. That's clearly a good enough sample size to determine that he isn't a quality starting player in the majors. I'm not even saying Semien is the answer (really hope he is but who knows), but I can say with confidence that Beckham isn't the guy. Time to move on, its time to move on from a lot of guys on this team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
I'd trade Beckham, Santiago and Keppinger to the Royals for Giovatella and Moustakas who have been busts and see if our new hitting coach can help fix 'em.

We give away the best three players in that deal