Congratulations to Jake Peavy & Matt Thornton

GGajewski18

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody see John Farrel's post game comments on feild. He was asked what was so special about these guys and he said something about chemistry and blah blah. But.... At the end he channeled THE Hawk Harrelson, he said the most important thing was....? THE WILL TO WIN, above anything else TWIW. Boom Brian Kenny. Lol.

I hope Hawk had it

Anyways, congrats JP and Matty Ice. I'm glad Peavy finally got his ring even if it wasn't with us.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:26 AM)
Did anybody see John Farrel's post game comments on feild. He was asked what was so special about these guys and he said something about chemistry and blah blah. But.... At the end he channeled THE Hawk Harrelson, he said the most important thing was....? THE WILL TO WIN, above anything else TWIW. Boom Brian Kenny. Lol.

I hope Hawk had it

Anyways, congrats JP and Matty Ice. I'm glad Peavy finally got his ring even if it wasn't with us.

The statniks will get mad at this, but TWTW is important. Aaron Rowand had it, and a lot of people think he was a horrible big league starter and ridicule him. Other important TWTW people in Sox history: Thome, AJP, Buehrle, Fisk off the top of my head.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 01:26 AM)

I hope Hawk had it

The will to win and a $150 million payroll.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:29 AM)
The statniks will get mad at this, but TWTW is important. Aaron Rowand had it, and a lot of people think he was a horrible big league starter and ridicule him. Other important TWTW people in Sox history: Thome, AJP, Buehrle, Fisk off the top of my head.

TATBG - the ability to be good - is far more important than TWTW. If you give me the choice between taking 25 players who "just want to win" and 25 players "who are very good at baseball," I am going to take the 25 "who are very good at baseball."

I'm also not sure why you put Thome in this fabled TWTW category since, by all accounts, he was an incredibly unclutch and bad player late in games. Pretty sure he only had 1 walk-off homer during his entire tenure with the Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
TATBG - the ability to be good - is far more important than TWTW. If you give me the choice between taking 25 players who "just want to win" and 25 players "who are very good at baseball," I am going to take the 25 "who are very good at baseball."

I'm also not sure why you put Thome in this fabled TWTW category since, by all accounts, he was an incredibly unclutch and bad player late in games. Pretty sure he only had 1 walk-off homer during his entire tenure with the Sox.

And I believe that was his 500th.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:29 AM)

It's funny that you mention AJP in there. He's now been part of two consecutive September collapses. I guess his TWTW is broken.

Big Jim in high, medium, and low leverage situations had negligibly different production numbers. 117 wRC+ in high leverage is pretty damn impressive considering how much more likely he was to see a LHP in those situations. In all postseason games before turning 37, Jim posted an .842 OPS over 55 games with 17 dingers. His overall postseason numbers are heavily skewed by bad performances at ages 37, 40, and 42. At age 42, he went 0 for 16. I won't hold it against him that he stayed in the game a little too long.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
Big Jim in high, medium, and low leverage situations had negligibly different production numbers. 117 wRC+ in high leverage is pretty damn impressive considering how much more likely he was to see a LHP in those situations. In all postseason games before turning 37, Jim posted an .842 OPS over 55 games with 17 dingers. His overall postseason numbers are heavily skewed by bad performances at ages 37, 40, and 42. At age 42, he went 0 for 16. I won't hold it against him that he stayed in the game a little too long.

I do hope you know I was playing contrarian regarding Thome and TWTW. People had the same thoughts about Thome during his time here as they do about Dunn now. I absolutely loved when Thome was here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
I do hope you know I was playing contrarian regarding Thome and TWTW. People had the same thoughts about Thome during his time here as they do about Dunn now. I absolutely loved when Thome was here.

It's too early for me to be reading sarcasm!!!

Serious question I've been thinking about: can we, in good conscience, consider the Big Hurt a WS winner?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:58 AM)
It's too early for me to be reading sarcasm!!!

Serious question I've been thinking about: can we, in good conscience, consider the Big Hurt a WS winner?

I do. He only played 1 month, but I really think the Sox needed his bat during that stretch of time or they would have fallen apart.

Watched my WS DVD last night. It's interesting how, after well over 120 days of inactivity, Frank still called the World Series the best moment of his life. Maybe I'm just selfish or something, but it's somewhat hard for me to comprehend. I have to think there was some bittersweetness to it. In hindsight, I even feel some of that. Weird that the best player in our franchise history, who was on this team, had a fairly minor contribution to our only WS since 1917

Skill vs. Will. In the normal everyday world, I'll take Will over Skill. If somone is willing to try and tries their hardest, you can usually give them the skills. In the MLB world, however, the Skill is so damn important. The percentage of baseball players (from little league on up) who make it to the big leagues is so tiny, it shows you how important skill is. Now, if some shlub gets in the bigs based on skill and under performs because of a lack of will, that usually gets taken care of by coaches and teammates.

Now to contribute something related to this thread: Congrats to Jake and Matt. Peavy is a very good example of someone who has the skill and a s***load of will to go along with it.