Congratulations to Jake Peavy & Matt Thornton

GGajewski18

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Skill vs. Will. In the normal everyday world, I'll take Will over Skill. If somone is willing to try and tries their hardest, you can usually give them the skills. In the MLB world, however, the Skill is so damn important. The percentage of baseball players (from little league on up) who make it to the big leagues is so tiny, it shows you how important skill is. Now, if some shlub gets in the bigs based on skill and under performs because of a lack of will, that usually gets taken care of by coaches and teammates.

Now to contribute something related to this thread: Congrats to Jake and Matt. Peavy is a very good example of someone who has the skill and a s***load of will to go along with it.

It takes skill and performance to win. There is definitely a place for sabermetrics, a big place, but there are also things you can't just throw into a computer program and have it spit out that gives you a total worth of a player. Intangibles do exist. You have to be able to look at it both ways.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
TATBG - the ability to be good - is far more important than TWTW. If you give me the choice between taking 25 players who "just want to win" and 25 players "who are very good at baseball," I am going to take the 25 "who are very good at baseball."

I'm also not sure why you put Thome in this fabled TWTW category since, by all accounts, he was an incredibly unclutch and bad player late in games. Pretty sure he only had 1 walk-off homer during his entire tenure with the Sox.

I'm surprised people got on me about AJ and not Rowand. As I recall there used to be a lot of Rowand bashing. As far as Thome, he exuded leadership to me. Maybe I'm mistaken. AJP is all sorts of a pest to the opponent looking for any edge to WIN. Rowand gave up his body a lot. I'd take a Rowand over a DeAza or Rios so quickly it'd make your head spin. I'd take Thome over just about anybody who has worn a Sox jersey. If I'm wrong about him, then so be it. I guess an argument could be made he didn't have TWTW since he hit into the shift so much when he coulda gone the other way.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
I'm surprised people got on me about AJ and not Rowand. As I recall there used to be a lot of Rowand bashing. As far as Thome, he exuded leadership to me. Maybe I'm mistaken. AJP is all sorts of a pest to the opponent looking for any edge to WIN. Rowand gave up his body a lot. I'd take a Rowand over a DeAza or Rios so quickly it'd make your head spin. I'd take Thome over just about anybody who has worn a Sox jersey. If I'm wrong about him, then so be it. I guess an argument could be made he didn't have TWTW since he hit into the shift so much when he coulda gone the other way.

People didn't bash Rowand, Crede, and Pierzynski so much as they got tired of people always equating them with the Sox winning. Those guys contributed, but the most important aspect of that team winning the World Series was the pitching. That offense actually kind of sucked, comparatively speaking, but that pitching staff was otherworldly good. It wouldn't look that good any more, but it was 8 years ago and offenses were still running hot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)

Way to ignore the post about the numerous choke jobs AJ has been a part of. didn't expect you to respond to that. he is also supposed to be an unlikable jackass. i guess thats TWTW.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Way to ignore the post about the numerous choke jobs AJ has been a part of. didn't expect you to respond to that. he is also supposed to be an unlikable jackass. i guess thats TWTW.

I don't really care about the jackass part if the player can back it up. I've heard Moustakas is a dick, which if true, is unacceptable to a team since he hasn't backed it up. You can't blame the choke jobs on AJ. Winning a ring (doesn't he have 2?) takes away any of that stuff.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)

lol. I wish CWS hadn't said what he said about greg and ron being the same guy. I wonder. 1 syllable name followed by 3 numbers.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
I don't really care about the jackass part if the player can back it up. I've heard Moustakas is a dick, which if true, is unacceptable to a team since he hasn't backed it up. You can't blame the choke jobs on AJ. Winning a ring (doesn't he have 2?) takes away any of that stuff.

This is the dumbest f***ing thing you've ever said.