Gavin Floyd update

southsider2k5

SoxNet.net ‏@SoxNet 9m

@DanHayesCSN Any update on where Floyd is in his rehab, or if the Sox have interest in bringing him back?

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

@SoxNet As of a month ago he was doing well, playing catch. Would imagine they wouldn't talk about bringing him back until Jan or Feb.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
I just don't see the point in bringing him back with the depth of right handed starter available via free agency.

Because we want to give the young guys every chance we can to actually earn those rotation slots. In fact, we don't have enough rotation slots right now for young guys. That means we'd want to sign someone who isn't likely to be ready to start the season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Sale

Danks

Johnson

Quintana

Santiago

Rienzo

Beck

Great.

Now which of the top 6 should we demote to Charlotte?

That's my problem with this team. I'm great with the top 6...but we only can run a 5 man rotation, and after the last couple years of destroying pitchers this way I'm going to scream if we try to send one of them to the bullpen again.

That's why I lean towards the sign floyd as a backup and trade one starter away move. All 6 deserve to be in the bigs in April next year.,

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Great.

Now which of the top 6 should we demote to Charlotte?

That's my problem with this team. I'm great with the top 6...but we only can run a 5 man rotation, and after the last couple years of destroying pitchers this way I'm going to scream if we try to send one of them to the bullpen again.

That's why I lean towards the sign floyd as a backup and trade one starter away move. All 6 deserve to be in the bigs in April next year.,

A little more time at AAA for Rienzo, Beck and Johnson would not hurt anyone.

Rienzo needs to work on being more efficient and Johnson and Beck are in no hurry.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
A little more time at AAA for Rienzo, Beck and Johnson would not hurt anyone.

Rienzo needs to work on being more efficient and Johnson and Beck are in no hurry.

And you don't see the problem where say, putting a guy who needs to be more efficient would completely fail to learn that skill when facing a series of AAA-ballers who are beaten by his stuff alone?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Floyd is a notoriously slow starter. His April and May career splits are Axelrod-esque, and that was when he was relatively healthy. Missing a year and coming back, he might even be worse. He seems like a good guy, but there are better ways to fill a roster spot.

Clearly no one is suggesting he deserves a roster spot. Most of us are following ptatc's statement that his rehab will take longer than the usual TJS and expecting that when January rolls around, the best he might get is a minor league deal with an expectation he could be ready later in the season.

A veteran on a minor league deal for very little money who might be able to either contribute if a young guy struggles, fill in late in the season for someone who is injured, or be trade-bait if he can prove effective...sounds like it would be a great fit for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
Clearly no one is suggesting he deserves a roster spot. Most of us are following ptatc's statement that his rehab will take longer than the usual TJS and expecting that when January rolls around, the best he might get is a minor league deal with an expectation he could be ready later in the season.

A veteran on a minor league deal for very little money who might be able to either contribute if a young guy struggles, fill in late in the season for someone who is injured, or be trade-bait if he can prove effective...sounds like it would be a great fit for the White Sox.

I don' t understand how a guy who may or may not pitch in the majors next year, and most likely will struggle for a couple months if he does, is a great fit for anyone.

Soxfest, I agree with the general sentiment that none of those guys probably deserve to "lose" to Gavin; definitely seems contrary to the direction we're going in. With that said, there is little to lose and a fair amount to gain if we give Gavin a $1M deal at some point. We could potentially get nice production from him if we need as there are several guys that might not cut it, plus injuries are always a wildcard...that's how we got here in the first place. If Gavin rolls off a few really good starts when he returns, he might become a really nice trade piece for us. Probably aren't going to get another Avisail Garcia, but probably something that makes our organization better than we otherwise would be.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
Soxfest, I agree with the general sentiment that none of those guys probably deserve to "lose" to Gavin; definitely seems contrary to the direction we're going in. With that said, there is little to lose and a fair amount to gain if we give Gavin a $1M deal at some point. We could potentially get nice production from him if we need as there are several guys that might not cut it, plus injuries are always a wildcard...that's how we got here in the first place. If Gavin rolls off a few really good starts when he returns, he might become a really nice trade piece for us. Probably aren't going to get another Avisail Garcia, but probably something that makes our organization better than we otherwise would be.

I understand what you are saying, but I feel the Floyd ship has sailed especially after the surgery and the unknown factor of when he can pitch..

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)

If he gets a small salary this year, plus a team option for next year, it is as good as any deal in baseball for the White Sox. It is just as good as the Cubs signing Scott Feldman. People are just acting irrational because it is Gavin Floyd.