Gavin Floyd update

southsider2k5

Having Floyd signed for a reduced fee makes sense and puts us in a stronger trading position.

Having 7 bonified starters plus Axelrod means that we are more flexible trading for what we need.

I see Floyd rehabbing in the minors and coming up around June when he has some innings under his belt and one of the rotation goes down.

I can see us going with Sale / Q / Danks / Rienzo / EJ with Floyd in Charlotte rehabbing, Santiago and Axelrod traded.

QUOTE (glangon @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 06:38 AM)
Having Floyd signed for a reduced fee makes sense and puts us in a stronger trading position.

Having 7 bonified starters plus Axelrod means that we are more flexible trading for what we need.

I see Floyd rehabbing in the minors and coming up around June when he has some innings under his belt and one of the rotation goes down.

I can see us going with Sale / Q / Danks / Rienzo / EJ with Floyd in Charlotte rehabbing, Santiago and Axelrod traded.

Axelrod isn't going anywhere but potentially Charlotte. I would say he has a chance to catch on as the long reliever.

Unless Gavin signs a minor-league deal (which I don't see happening), he can't stay in the minors until June. He's long since been out of options and there's a time limit on how long a major league player can rehab in the minors.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
Unless Gavin signs a minor-league deal (which I don't see happening), he can't stay in the minors until June. He's long since been out of options and there's a time limit on how long a major league player can rehab in the minors.

He could sign a major league deal and be put on the 60 day DL. Then he would have a month to rehab after he came back. Most of that depends on when he is ready to pitch, but last year it sounded like it wouldn't be right away.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)

I'd be surprised if he signs anything other than a minor league deal this year, the only question is whether the team could get an option for the next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
I'd be surprised if he signs anything other than a minor league deal this year, the only question is whether the team could get an option for the next year.

If Ptatcs initial guess at his timetable is right, they would be borderline negligent not to do so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
If Ptatcs initial guess at his timetable is right, they would be borderline negligent not to do so.

If I were, I dunno, a team like the Dodgers I might take that chance. Team that could be in the playoffs but you could easily understand how they could find a reason why they'd need an extra starting pitching option in the 2nd half of the season.

I think Floyd though, barring a team offering him actual major league money, probably would be very likely to be willing to stay in the ChiSox org for another year or two based on everything he's said publicly in the past.

If healthy 4-5 million a year for 2 years. He's your proven 4-5 pitcher, plus one of the other righties has to step it up. Better value then getting a free agent righty. Plus, I heard he's already throwing & should be ready. Bottom line, money saved by signing Floyd helps us sign some more LH hitting.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
If healthy 4-5 million a year for 2 years. He's your proven 4-5 pitcher, plus one of the other righties has to step it up. Better value then getting a free agent righty. Plus, I heard he's already throwing & should be ready. Bottom line, money saved by signing Floyd helps us sign some more LH hitting.

Yeah, every part of this is a terrible idea.

I would take Gavin on a deal for next year with a team option for the following season. He has a pretty good track record and can give you innings at a minimum. Pitchers that feature their curveball have a history of their stuff being better after TJ surgery, so there is a chance for optimism. If he comes back and pitches great you can move him for a prospect, if not he at least gives you an alternative to the rookies if they struggle, or worst case you DFA him. Hes not going to command a huge deal, and may not even sign with anyone until he is healthy and can get a better contract.