2 Realistic trade options I came up with

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alexei would be a huge upgrade for Cards. They might come calling. If so, Hahn will have the edge in the negotiation process and will not have to give up much else. Trouble is, we don't need Adams as much as we did two weeks ago, and Wacha is probably off limits, and they probably don't have a catcher that can step in and play. Maybe they will take Dunn off our hands.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
Alexei would be a huge upgrade for Cards. They might come calling. If so, Hahn will have the edge in the negotiation process and will not have to give up much else. Trouble is, we don't need Adams as much as we did two weeks ago, and Wacha is probably off limits, and they probably don't have a catcher that can step in and play. Maybe they will take Dunn off our hands.

Now that the Sox really don't need Adams immediately unless, as you said, they also take Dunn for some reason, the Sox also are in a position where they could take their main return as a guy who is a year away from the big leagues.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)

How about Wong?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 07:16 AM)

Matt Adams looks like a beer league softball player.

Wacha is DEFINITELY off limits. I would have said untouchable, but he finally got dinged up in Game 6 a bit and it will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

They have Wainright, Wacha, Kelly, Lynn, Shelby Miller, Garcia (when he returns to health), Carlos Martinez and a couple of other options.

Chris Carpenter will probably come back for the 6th time, lol.

I think the Cardinals move Carpenter to 3B, Wong is at 2B (or Jackson), they might STIL go after Tulowitzi or Asdrubal Cabrera to improve the SS position, Allen Craig in RF almost everyday and Oscar Taveras in CF.

The only sure things are that Holliday, Carpenter, Craig, Adams and Molina will be playing at some position nearly everyday.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Matt Adams looks like a beer league softball player.

Wacha is DEFINITELY off limits. I would have said untouchable, but he finally got dinged up in Game 6 a bit and it will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

They have Wainright, Wacha, Kelly, Lynn, Shelby Miller, Garcia (when he returns to health), Carlos Martinez and a couple of other options.

Chris Carpenter will probably come back for the 6th time, lol.

I think the Cardinals move Carpenter to 3B, Wong is at 2B (or Jackson), they might STIL go after Tulowitzi or Asdrubal Cabrera to improve the SS position, Allen Craig in RF almost everyday and Oscar Taveras in CF.

The only sure things are that Holliday, Carpenter, Craig, Adams and Molina will be playing at some position nearly everyday.

So you said all this without answering my question...what do they have that might be available for Alexei that could make sense as a return for him?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Trade 1: White Sox trade Gordon Beckham, Hector Santiago, and Chris Beck to Dodgers for Andre Eithier.

Why it makes sense to me:

- Its no secret that LA has 1 too many OF'ers and Eithier seems to be the odd man out.

- Beckham can play either 2b or 3b and both are positions of weakness for the Dodgers. Uribe, Schumaker, and Mark Ellis saw a lot of PT for them

- Although hes been a bit of disappointment for us, Beckham is a good buy low option for a team like LA.

- Santiago is a young, cost controlled SP who should excel in the NL west. Presents a very cheap #4 starter for the next 3-5 years.

- Beck is a decent arm that could be a 5h/middle reliever in the near future.

- Don't think I need to explain why Either is a good fit for us.

Trade 2: Alexei Ramirez for David Freese

-No need for me to ramble here. They need a SS and we need a 3B. Freese's down yeaer of .260/.340 is sadly a huge upgrade for us at 3b but he should be much better next year, especially at The Cell.

Let me know what you guys think....

I won't comment on trade 2 but trade one would be one of the worse trades in baseball history when you factor in Ethier's contract, injury history, and age.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
So you said all this without answering my question...what do they have that might be available for Alexei that could make sense as a return for him?

In another thread, I suggested Martinez and Wong for DeAza/Ramirez, but that's not going to be enough from our side and I'm not sure who else the Cardinals would want. They don't need pitching.

And Tavares is going to play CF for them in 2014, I forgot they had depth behind Jay/Robinson. Craig will probably be in RF and DeAza's best position is LF, and Holliday's not going anywhere.

Martinez is locked out of the rotation with Wainright, Wacha, Garcia, Miller and Lynn ahead of him. That would leave their 3rd starter in the post-season, Joe Kelly, without a starting role.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
In another thread, I suggested Martinez and Wong for DeAza/Ramirez, but that's not going to be enough from our side and I'm not sure who else the Cardinals would want. They don't need pitching.

And Tavares is going to play CF for them in 2014, I forgot they had depth behind Jay/Robinson. Craig will probably be in RF and DeAza's best position is LF, and Holliday's not going anywhere.

Martinez is locked out of the rotation with Wainright, Wacha, Garcia, Miller and Lynn ahead of him. That would leave their 3rd starter in the post-season, Joe Kelly, without a starting role.

I think they'll look to move Lynn before they look to move Martinez.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
So perhaps Lynn and Kelly are the pitchers that other teams would/should be targeting. Only Mozeliak would have the answer to that question.

I would gladly take Joe Kelly in a possible deal for Alexei. Kid has electric stuff

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
It would take at least Ramirez, DeAza and Semien to get that deal done.

Maybe one more piece....anyone in our system not named Erik Johnson.

Joe Kelly's not that good. He's a #3-4 pitcher who might pitch better than his peripherals, which I just touched on in the other thread, but I would not even care to inquire about him. He doesn't strike guys out, doesn't throw a ton of ground balls, and doesn't have pinpoint control. I really didn't think he had great, great stuff either, but he does throw hard.